When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

My Sons First Watch.....

Winno

G'day all,

When i was 8 my dad picked me up from school one day. This was quite uncommon as he worked stupidly hard 10 hours a day, six days a week on his own business.

On this day he picks me up from school he has this big smile on his face and can't wait to get in the car to show me what he has bought for me...

He bought me this lovely digital watch....silver with a blue face around the LCD..it even had a light in it that i used in bed after everybody had gone to sleep!

I know, iknow, it was prob some dodgy cheapo watch, but my dad had done it for ME...

Ever since then, I have loved watches, and this love of watches was something that he and i shared until the day he died ( he had a lovely Omega Constellation for

years... Its a shame...don't know where that went to...)....

Now my son has just turned 8 and i would love to do the same for him...but what do you recommend ? I think a Casio G shock would be good but they are all too big (he has very small wrist...even compared to boys his age), and all the small Casio's are 'Baby G's'.......and well he's not a baby....or a girl(which the baby g's are marketed for)....so they are out...

Any other recommendations? Remember its got to be sturdy and not too dear....

So any thoughts for my little best mate?

Cheers

Winno

Edited by Winno

Can't go wrong with a digital multifunction like this: 

http://www.amazon.com/Casio-F201WA-1A-Multi-Function-Alarm-Sports/dp/B002J4UBJ0/ref=sr_1_2?s=watches&ie=UTF8&qid=1360397459&sr=1-2&keywords=casio

All the info about the date and time are clearly visible, water resistant and if it breaks, you wont feel too bad with a price tag of around $10.

Also it's a petite 34mm.

Edited by japanic

I got my son a first watch a while ago...years ago in fact.

He is now 14 and does not wear a watch :(

When he was around your son's age I got him this:

seikomysonwristshot_800_01.jpg

SeikoNato800_14.jpg

I also got the next one and the next one...

seikomysonwristshot_800_03.jpg

SeikoFamily800.jpg

But in the end he is still not wearing any watch allthough each time I change watch he comes in with a comment on it!

Go figure!

I would recommend to go for "real" (Automatic + complications) as there are many many cheap ones out there like that first Seiko I got him for less than 50$

Good luck!