When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

IWC Ingenieur Laureus Super-rep discussion

BigBrownBull

Hello to all. New member here but not a newbie.

I've been in the rep world for a few years but no way an expert like most of the crew here.

Bought the noob IWC Sport for Good from Mark at Timeshops. Service was great and he responds well.

Read a lot about how great this watch is, and I'd been to the AD to check it out. They had the regular Invenieur in black without the solid caseback (could see the movement), and after loads of research pulled the trigger!

Watch arrives in 10 days and first impression is Woah!! An awesome piece if you like a dressy look.

Dial and hands well done, close to gen. Hands look good and the movement on the Swiss is impressive. The dome is a little less than the one I saw but barely noticeable. Did I say great movement!!

The blue color of the dial screams quality, and the strap, while nowhere close to gen is better than many reps. Power reserve clocked at 24hrs, and keeps good time.

So what's bugging me?

The caseback has engravings from the Sports for Good Foundation. The gen seems to have a deep/dark engraving (first pic). The one from Puretime has a similar look (second pic). Mine seems to have a white-ish, almost printed engraving (third pic). Reached out to Mark who said the factory makes one quality for the Swiss version (450 bucks +). I've sent him Puretime's pics. This is the biggest tell on the one I got. Else super-rep, but not really super if this is different from gen. Any thoughts guys? Did they pull a fast one? From the pics the difference is quite obvious, unless (a) I have to scrape off the white coating! or (B) this is how it's supposed to be on the gen/super-rep and the pics show different.

Comments welcome!

post-52864-0-71086900-1364254062_thumb.j

post-52864-0-28586800-1364254073_thumb.j

post-52864-0-73749500-1364254103_thumb.j

Edited by BigBrownBull

I have never heard of offering two different quality case backs based on the movement. I would guess it is two different pieces and factories or he got a hold of an earlier version from the original factory for cheap. I have never sen the rep but have certainly seen numerous gen Laureus watches. And of course the engraving is true engraving rather than laser etched so it does show up noticeably darker.