When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Gen bezel insert photos, comparison to modded rep part

sneed12

I just did a gen bezel build for another member, and he graciously said I could post some comparison photos I took.

Naturally while I had the gen part in my hands I wanted to see which rep part would be the best. The other member bought the case I had my CHS movement installed in, so I needed a new case. I bought a BP GMT IIc and this is the bezel it came with (gen on left)

100_5021_zpsb2f11f0c.jpg

as you can see, the fonts are much too thin.

I looked around a bit and decided to try the Parnis bezels from eBay. The fonts look quite good compared to gen, much better than the stock BP insert.

100_4970_zps54748c78.jpg

Shape of triangles pretty close

100_4972_zpse6bce4f7.jpg

Zeros are close, but not quite right
100_4973_zps4fabca64.jpg

100_4974_zps3624437f.jpg

The color on the platinum in the gen bezel inserts is warmer/more brown than the paint I've been using. I'm going to start looking for different paint. Also, while it's glittery, you can't see any flakes in the gen finish. The glittery metallic flakes in the platinum paint I use are too big. But what the hey, it doesn't take very long, so I painted the Parnis insert

100_5035_zps4db8362b.jpg

and set about rebuilding my watch.

100_5030_zps08d91748.jpg

I'm using the BP factory crystal here instead of gen, the gen crystal does not work well with the BP factory bezel and gasket (it's gen style but not gen spec sized). The AR on the BP factory cyclops is better than nothing but not anywhere near gen. My gen crystal with AR'ed cyclops is now in my BP blue Sub-C.

100_5031_zps0aba4da3.jpg

Bezel insert after paint scraped off

100_5032_zps84d85f2e.jpg

My watch on right, watch with gen bezel on left

100_5053_zps6c60c601.jpg

100_5054_zpsaaab47ce.jpg

I guess I should include that from the other thread, makes more sense here:

Bottom sides are nearly identical

100_5022_zps10f98b4b.jpg

All bezel parts--bezels have the same style of construction (gen parts on bottom)

100_5020_zpsde841007.jpg

However, rep bezel retaining ring has larger ID than gen bezel retaining ring. Will not work with gen-spec crystal gasket, it falls right off.

• Like 1

The GMT IIc is my favorite in the Rolex range - but seeing this rep vs. gen bezel insert comaparo makes me want to not wear my rep GMT, the bezel insert is not even close.

imho  you should unpaint your parnis insert.  

But I do like the dial on your BP GMT IIC much better than the other dial with the gen insert. 

It is much closer to gen (Maxi) dial

Probably when I decide to change over to the CHS movement,I'll pick up one of these BP watches and then I 'll have the dial and mpvement that can be used in the other watch. In another thread, you mentioned a gen dial, as I replied it's too expensive. another thing when you replace an ETA dial with a gen, you have the mismatched dial feet situation to contend with as well as DW alignment problems, which seem to plague rep watches. Not sure if there is enough room under the dial to use and overlay.

Probably when I decide to change over to the CHS movement,I'll pick up one of these BP watches and then I 'll have the dial and mpvement that can be used in the other watch. In another thread, you mentioned a gen dial, as I replied it's too expensive. another thing when you replace an ETA dial with a gen, you have the mismatched dial feet situation to contend with as well as DW alignment problems, which seem to plague rep watches. Not sure if there is enough room under the dial to use and overlay.

Yup you'll have to trim the feet, which hurts it's resell-ability if you choose to part the dial out later. 

The next best thing is the BP dial.  It's 90%.  Thinner hour markers / Slightly bigger, closer to the gen maxi dial markers.

Fellow watches lovers, hope you forgive me if I'm asking for an help from the experts in here. I have to get a bezel for my 6263 rep (seconds at 9). I've lost the one that was on the watch. I don't know how, one day I was checking the time and I've noticed the bezel had gone.

I wrote the guy I've bought it, actually I don't remember his name at all nor the site. He sent me another one, but probably someone at the customs decided to keep it for himself...

Now I saw three on the bay, one didn't appeal me too much, the other two are stated as "bakelite". They're quite similar, even though the one in AZ looks a little more realistic then the greek. I've never seen an original 6263 bezel so I need your opinions.

I haven't posted the links because I don't know if is allowed. Anyways they're "on air" right now.

It might be possible I'll start to track down the parts to modify it, since is my all time favourite watch,

Thanx alot for the help.

Edited by doraemon