When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Need help! Lost my job.

Rolexman

Most of you know that I am not a 'full time' watchmaker. I have a day time job as Marketing Manager at a big Multinational. But due to the recession they too need to cut losses. Well as marketing professional you are than sh!t out of luck because they usually get hit first. And indeed... sayonara Rolexman. I officially lost my job today!

And bad news never travels alone. My wife (expecting our first child in 2 weeks) also got a letter today. She got the boot too!  Also cost cut backs. Can you believe it? Within a month we will have our pride and joy, our baby girl, but we will both be unemployed.....I still can't believe it! F#cking recession.

I'm currently in overdrive and looking through all the job boards and hooking up with old connections. As a young professional with a Masters degree I still have high hopes. But the timing could be better off course....

Although my English is pretty good (I think) writing a motivation in English is something different. If there is a member who is in the 'recruiting' business and knows how a professional motivation letter in English should look. Please shoot me a PM if you are willing to help. I will write the letter myself off course but I need someone with a business vocabulary tot upgrade it. Due to the personal nature I would prefer friends or veterans!

Thanks

Mark

PS: For all those who have outstanding repairs or services. No worries! They will go ahead as planned.

Good luck RM, I'm a good editor / proofreader but don't think I've ever seen a "motivational letter" before.  I don't know if I'd be much help but I'm willing to try,

Bloody hell Mark, thats awful news, and as you say, timing could not of come at a more inconvenient for you, and your current position.  I wish I could help with your request, but sadly I cannot, however, I think Mike is onto something there with regards taking on European members watch work, services, modding etc, it would at least, as Mike says, bring some money into the house.

That's terrible news.

Part of my work is helping people to find work. I can definitely help you with your motivation letter if you would like to PM me about it. I would be more than happy to do so.

One caveat: I work within a US environment. It shouldn't be all that different in the EU but I thought I would let you know.  

Sorry to hear WatchFriend!

I really wish you the best! In two weeks the largest miracle will happend; Your first child.

I really hope New work will follow! remember all your skills and experiences. No multi national Company can ever take that away from you! They are the loosers in this run!

I wish you the best!!!!

8-(

• Like 1

Sorry to hear the bad news, especially the double whammy so close to the birth, that really sucks.

It sounds like you've got plenty of offers to help you with the letter (I've done quite a few CVs in my time and my sister is a professional at knowing what to do). I'm not sure where in the UK you are but I've got a couple of watches I'd like serviced / AR redone / lume improved.

• Like 1

Really terrible timing. As a first time new father (of one week) i can feel your stress. I'm sure things will go your way, as when things really really need to, they often do.

I've never written a motivation letter but I edit the the English language as a professional (novels and magazines). Please do let me know when and if you need help.

This is not an idle internet post, but a real pledge to help. Should you need it just PM me.

Best of luck.

• Like 1

Rolexman sorry to hear my other half recently got the boot and I am still interning with three kids, know the feeling well. I see others are in position to help on your job hunt, a light at a dark time for sure. Please don't let this bump in the road diminish your joy on your first child, this to shall pass.

• Like 1

Bloody Hell mate. I can't believe they can sack your wife who no doubt must be on maternity leave!! They wouldn't get away with it from where I am in Aussie. Losing your own job is bad enough. I can tell that you are a positive type of guy and things will work out for you. Enjoy your new little daughter!!

Peter

Melbourne

Australia

• Like 1

Sorry to hear your news it must be a very unsettling time for you all. Try to remain positive and consider that the CMO role in a number organisations is up there with the CIO & CFO and they tend to have the budgets to work with.  

Make sure you have a diverse set of examples including Digital & Social campaigns with strong ROI's that you can reference.  Have a look at this CMO Study for some inspiration, though high level , it might help you talk the talk 

Use this as an opportunity to consider a more senior role in perhaps a smaller organisation.  Good Luck 

• Like 1

Mark, Sorry to hear this news. You seem like a great guy and no doubt

You will land on your feet. It hurts though. I lost my job in February

for health reasons, pneumonia put me in the hospital and my liver is

Very bad.

Many good people are having a rough time, so you are not alone.

Take good care and stay healthy. That means everything.

God bless..

• Like 1

Thanks for all the kind words guys. Eventually we will pull through. Nice to know I'm not alone and the help from everyone is overwhelming. There really is no better place on the internet than RWG. Believe it or not but I get more sympathy from all the nice members here than I get from my "friends".