When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Who's got the best (franken) sub? Lets See em'

wiseguy1481

Hey guy,

I keep seeing people post up comments such as; "who has the best sub" and "this is a candidate for the best sub award".... I think its time we pull them out and show them off and see who REALLY has the best sub.

Ill go first:

TC Sub LV

- Gen Insert

- Gen Crystal (non AR'd)

- Gen Crown

post-51930-0-00171000-1368680009_thumb.j

post-51930-0-01885700-1368680018_thumb.j

Early TC M-Series Franken with flat S dial, gen crown / xtal / insert on the left, gen from the same period but with flat 4 insert on the right.

GTG-Bart-LN-Vergleich_zpse0eab705.jpg

Macro pic:

1st-pics-Feb13_zps57ba4f8c.jpg

And a BK wm9 Franken LV with TC dial & hands / gen xtal / crown / insert:

01-finalFeb13-00-front_zpsd07c17c2.jpg

01-finalFeb13-04-dial_zps484b2bb7.jpg

01-finalFeb13-03-lume_zps5b6b8210.jpg

Cheers! :)

• Like 1

Here' mine 1680 The black spot over the SU in Submariner is just a smudge I didn't notice when I took the photo

MBW case

Gen 127 "top hat" crystal

Gen crown

Gen dial

Gen Insert

Gen Tritium pearl

Gen clasp

post-327-136872145139.jpg

• Like 2

- Sean case

- Genuine crown

- Genuine NOS dial

- Genuine NOS hands

- Genuine 3135

- Genuine NOS date wheel

- Genuine 93250 bracelet

- Genuine NOS 93250 clasp

- Genuine bezel

- Genuine NOS bezel insert

- Genuine NOS crystal

:)

I believe we have a winner

Well...it depends on the way one is looking at it...he probably spent more on this uberfranken then he would have to spent on a total genuine but still has a watch that, according to his pics (SEL fitment, CG trim), screams "rep"...from my/this point of view I cannot agree that dan_189 is a/the winner ;)

Early TC M-Series Franken with flat S dial, gen crown / xtal / insert on the left, gen from the same period but with flat 4 insert on the right.

GTG-Bart-LN-Vergleich_zpse0eab705.jpg

Macro pic:

Cheers! :)

I love the strap. Where did you get it and what clasp do you use? I've got the same watch but don't wear it that often as I don't like the bracelet.

I love the strap. Where did you get it and what clasp do you use? I've got the same watch but don't wear it that often as I don't like the bracelet.

[/offtopic on]

Thanks a lot! That crocodile strap was a highly debated item in the German forum, actually - most people didn't like it (except for my wife, me, and a couple of other weird guys). Typical statement was "too polished" or "too much bling bling" but it works pretty well when you see it live and in dress watch style.

It's a "RIOS Windsor 20mm" aftermarket croc strap like shown here: http://www.uhrenarmband-versand.de/Uhrenbandversand-p9760h143s145-Uhrenarmband-Windsor.html

The buckle is a silver rep part I found on eBay. The UK seller got busted shortly afterwards. I was lucky. Thes buckles come up here & there from time to time.

Couple of additional pics (on a wm9 v2 Franken Sub... nevermind) :  ;)

Krokostrap-Total-upsidedown_zps0de78242.

Krokostrap-Corner_zps117972c7.jpg

Wristie-Apr13_zps0ccb2dd1.jpg

[/offtopic off]

I don't own these anymore and ended up parting them out but they were a lot of fun to build.

First is a 9411 blue I did. Used an MBW case but everything else was gen including the movement.

MBW case

Gen Bezel

Gen insert

Gen retaining ring

Gen crystal

Gen dial

Gen hands

Gen movement

Gen bracelet

Gen endlinks

Gen crown

Gen tube

941104.jpg

The 2nd was also using an MBW case. The movement was a 2783 instead of a Tudor 2776. IT is the one on the left with the 79090 (which was gen). I eventually replaced the crappy rep bracelet with a real one.

MBW case

ETA 2783 movement

Gen bezel

Gen insert

Gen retaining ring

Gen crystal

Gen dial

Gen hands

Gen crown

Gen tube

Gen bracelet

Gen endlinks

9401-02.jpg

Well...it depends on the way one is looking at it...he probably spent more on this uberfranken then he would have to spent on a total genuine but still has a watch that, according to his pics (SEL fitment, CG trim), screams "rep"...from my/this point of view I cannot agree that dan_189 is a/the winner ;)

The total cost was under the cost of a genuine, I didnt trim the CG and the SEL fitment is actually quite good. Cant get much better seeming the case is a Sean but the bracelet is genuine. The only alternative for a genuine parts build is a TC case which wont fit a genuine bracelet.

Ive actually been in Rolex with it and they have looked at it and commented on what good condition its in, that to me is enough to be very satisfied.

Well...as I wrote...according to that one and only pic of yours it looks like the lower CG has a weired rounded inner shape and that's there a pretty visual gap between the SEL and the horns.

Lucky you if it's only the pic or my eyes...don't wanna offend you ;)

Sent from my wooden drums using Tupperware.

Well...as I wrote...according to that one and only pic of yours it looks like the lower CG has a weired rounded inner shape and that's there a pretty visual gap between the SEL and the horns.

Lucky you if it's only the pic or my eyes...don't wanna offend you ;)

Sent from my wooden drums using Tupperware.

All good :) Im not sure there might be or it might be the pic. As for the gap is that horizontal (between the lugs) or vertical? 

Here is the finished build thread for those interested:

http://www.rwgforum.net/topic/155385-the-saga-ends-its-all-done-submariner-16610/

Here is all the headaches it came with:

http://www.rwgforum.net/topic/152421-another-sean-build/

Edited by dan_189