When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Replica Watches?

watch-fob

It's peculiar to post this stupid question here, but I'm just curious weather there is some guys would buy a replica watch? According to me, the originals are too expensive and just rich men can afford it and they often have more than one or two pieces. While there are still a large number of people have champagne taste but a beer budget. Is that you? 

Edited by watch-fob

I'm not buyng a fake, replica etc I am buying a watch. It is the beginning of a personal project/hobby to improve, learn and enjoy my hobby.

I never pass my watches off as gen, I explain to people that express interest in my watches why I do it and they walk away with a little useful knowledge and a great deal more respect than any one that pretends their watch is gen.

As for "can I afford a gen" up to a point yes, that point being around 3-4 months of of no 'hobby' spending and no visits to the pub/restaurant. Then a Omega/Submariner/Panerai would be within reach.

But I much prefer to go out and enjoy myself and have a very interesting hobby making my watches better :)

It's peculiar to post this stupid question here, but I'm just curious weather there is some guys would buy a replica watch? According to me, the originals are too expensive and just rich men can afford it and they often have more than one or two pieces. While there are still a large number of people have champagne taste but a beer budget. Is that you? 

I supppose that you have mad a good analagy there, This hobby does alow us to wear lots of watches that most of us would never be able to afford. 

Since you asked the question to us, my question to you is, Would you buy a replica watch?

As for most of the folks here who are regular posters, and are pretty involved in the hobby, the fun is taking a pretty good watch and making it a much better watch. That could be simply doing work on the case to soften the edges, a better movement, better dial, hands, crown, or sometimes all of the above. I'm quite sure that there are a very significant number of folks who come aboard here, simple to get a minimal amount of information "who makes the best sub, etc."?, get their info, buy a couple of watches and are gone. I would suspect that folks who fall into that genre are not interested in replicas as a hobby, but simply are looking for a nice watch that they can pass off as a genuine.

AFA genuine  and the ability to buy, I believe that you would be quite surprised by the number of members here that have a very nice collection of genuine watches. In my case, I have been collecting, buying and selling watches for over 45 years. I have in the past owned quite a good number of genuine Rolex, IWC, Maurice Lacroix, Chronoswiss, to name a few. In fact today, my genuine watchbox has significantly more watches in it than my rep watchbox. So I would say that your statement "While there are still a large number of people have champagne taste but a beer budget, is that you" may apply to some of the members here,  I would say that a it doesn't fit for quite a few more.

Well, In my opinion, there are several reasons to buy a replica. I guess among these, there is the fact that not many will spend 5,10 or 20 K in a watch, just to "feel" the sensation of wearing a "real" Patek, Rolex or Panerai.

Then there are others, who will buy replicas for "passing" as rich" duds,  so as to satisfy the socio economic preassure/principle of "being what yuo own," as marxists  would say.

I myself belong to a third group, in chich people buy replicas because they simply love watches !!!

Let's face it, this is the simplest and most affordable way to fulfill our "dreams. "

• 8 months later...

Hi here is my 2p's worth

I have been a genuine buyer ever since I got into watches but some you are half hearted about

example some you like but wouldn't buy due to price tag however you like the looks

so where does that leave you?

Also another reason been there and got the ticket you have forked out pretty heavy then only to see it half on the 2nd hand market what's worse some AD just don't want to give you a good buy back price, if it's a couple of hundred GBP then not a issue however seeing ££££.00 being lost is quite a experience I must say I kid you not that's now

£££££.00 with me combined

So all in all I say this with a bit of a cherry on top

Geniunes is good just make sure you know what you like and never buy if half hearted because it will bite you hard

Homage vs Replicas be mindful because there is some great company's and makes out there what really gives you bang for the buck experience and with the fallback with warranty as well some are long as 5 years with movements

let's move on 2nd hand market as long as you are clued up you can get some great gens/ And homage as well for your £ or $ or € etc

I'm new to replicas and I'm going to take my time on my 1st buy because reading this forum ever since I joined has made me realize that you need to get it right or you end up losing out lots if it all goes wrong :(

then what's the point of doing it anyway you ask?

some replicas are really are good

some replicas are total tosh

Mind you that's the same with any watch but the risks are more grater in the Rep game which I am seeing once you get your head around this forum

Dodgy Sellers/ Scam sites/Customs/Watch failures cost of returns etc

I can clearly say to any newbie ie like me in the rep game

Take your time!! ask questions!! Enjoy your watches!!

happy hunting