When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Grail Purchase: Gen Rolex 16800 - 1981 Birth Year

dbutlerman

Well as soon as I thought I was happy with my collection, I happen to stumble upon a birth year, Rolex 16800 Submariner from 1981 over on VRM.  Every time I've tried to find one in the past, they were in really bad shape.  But this one is really nice.  No yellowing on the Patina, just a very slight beige.  Hands aren't original, they were replaced with Rolex Luminova Hands, but that doesn't bother me.  So after a quick fire sale, I picked this up this morning.  Since the original seller, which I'm sure you'll recognize by the photos, takes such good pictures, there's no need for me to retake them.  Bracelet is in bad need of refurbishment, so I am planning on sending it off to M. Young in Hong Kong for some de-stretching :)

DSC01437.JPG

DSC01438.JPG

DSC01442.JPG

DSC01446.JPG

DSC01448.JPG

• Like 1

Thanks Guys.  A keeper for sure.  Although I've said it before....this one isn't going anywhere :)

The bracelet is pretty stretched - it's an H code - should be an F for the serial number, so my guess is the case sat at rolex for a bit before it got assembled and sent out.  Or, somebody somewhere found a 93150 and swapped out the original - but the amount of use on the bracelet doesn't seem to make it a replacement, especially when it's so close to the original year.  

Here's a pic showing the stretch

IMG_1302.jpeg

Jacek is awesome to deal with. I also highly recommend going to his store in the mission. Gotta make an appointment though. Holding gilt dial 5513s, trying on double red sea dwellers, vintage Daytona, AP's, 1680s, 1675s, tropical dials galore... It's just an amazing experience there. I was just returning a 5513 for a different 5513 and he gladly showed me all the above just for fun. Such great guys to deal with and congrats on the purchase! Looks beautiful. Here's a crappy pic of just one of the cases... IMAG0135_zpsbf2d7bac.jpg

Edited by phillycheez

His inventory is amazing.  I can't wait to stop by the shop!  

Thanks everybody, I'm really excited to own it!  I took down to my watchmaker to see if he could regulate it a bit better - it was running +16 secs per day.  10 minutes later, he now has it between -3 and +1 in 6 different positions.  YAY!  

Great pickup DB. Another option to consider would be a 93250. The match right up and you'd have the benefit of a matte with lug holes and a solid end link bracelet. Here is mine to show how it would look. Definitely worth a consideration. How is the lug end wear? If you are in Cali, Dalton at ABC is able to fix lug tip wear if needed. Might want to consider it if this is in for the long haul. Apologies for the size of the pic. Only one I have that shows the fit well. post-5355-137472467444.jpg