When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Classic Rock Bands Thread

hambone

As a child of the 60's, it is not easy to dismiss the great musical influences that shaped the lives of those who were not only there, but by osmosis discovered the beauty of the song, The Beatles, The Who, and for this topic, The greatest Rock and Roll Band, The Rolling Stones, These British musicians have defined rock and roll as no other band has. It defies logic to attempt to verbalize how profoundly awesome the Rolling Stones have been throughout their existence. The Stones are the essence of rock and roll.

Well said. You want to really rock your musical world? Check out Robert Johnson. He influenced everybody. Recorded from a 78rpm LP, the Kind hearted woman blues. http://archive.org/download/RobertJohnsonMp3AudioSongs/robertjohnson-KindheartedWomanBlues.mp3

I'm born in the 70'S but I grew up listening to The Who, Led Zeppelin, Journey, Boston, Bad Company, The Beatles, David Bowie and Pink Floyd.

I always tried to get into the Stones but for some reason they never "grabbed" me that much for some reason. But of course they're highly respected, and rightly so. I've seen them live too (in the 90's).

And yeah... going back there I recall that Meat Loaf's "Bat out of Hell" was one of the kickass albums of the 70's. It was not "cool" to dig Meat though. :D Dunno why... "Bat" was pure genius.

• Like 1

Being a lifelong Zep fan I was always pissed because their only live album was crappy "The Song Remains The Same". It was embarrassingly bad but when "How the West Was Won" was released I was in the 7th heaven. The Knebworth gig is worth watching too.

I had lots of their boots too... but most of them had bad audio quality.

I was at Zep's very first concert in the USA. They opened for Spirit and Vanilla Fudge.

"I got a line on you" was just getting airplay, and Keep Me Hangin On" was huge on the radio.

My sister and I were blown away by Zep, they played most of the first album. We called the radio station the next day.

We wanted to know more about the band, the radio station said their album wasn't out yet....the next month, everyone I knew had it!

I still have the ticket stub. I was in maybe 7th grade. :)

Edited to show Denver Post Review pic

a3509cfc.jpg

denver68_review.jpg

• Like 1

Well said.

You want to really rock your musical world? Check out Robert Johnson. He influenced everybody.

Recorded from a 78rpm LP, the Kind hearted woman blues.

http://archive.org/download/RobertJohnsonMp3AudioSongs/robertjohnson-KindheartedWomanBlues.mp3

Nanuq, He was the most influential of all. Been a huge fan and have everything thing he recorded. Great that you mentioned him. The Stones and the Beatles both acknowledge he was their inspiration.

Nanuq, He was the most influential of all. Been a huge fan and have everything thing he recorded. Great that you mentioned him. The Stones and the Beatles both acknowledge he was their inspiration.

Have you heard Clapton's album "Me and Mister Johnson"? It's a keeper.

Next up: listen to Hendrix and Buddy Guy play "Red House" back to back. Ooooooooh baby!

Im normally a Metalhead, but in my younger days my musical influences were all the great classic rock bands, I still sometimes throw on some Zep, Rush, Cream etc but the one artist I still listen to regularly is Rory Gallagher, the guy is an absolute genius.

Here is a particularly awesome live performance of Shadow play -

• Like 1

Funny story. Two of my favorite bands ever. Well Pink Floyd being close.

I still like a bit of Rush, went to see them live in Sheffield back in May, they played a 3 hour set!

Oh yeah... I have "Live in Europe" from Callagher. What studio works do you recommend?

I was a teenager in the late 80's/early 90's and I loved Bad Company with the singer Brian Howe. I like Free and the Paul Rodgers-era too... I mean who doesn't... but Howe was/is a spectacular rock vocalist. He debuted in Ted Nugent's "Penetrator". Then Bad Company's "Holy Water" and "Here Comes trouble" are amazing albums. Howe sold over 20 million records with B/C but when Rodgers returned he was pretty much forgotten.

Now he has made a great, great solo album "Circus Bar" which has been going virtually unnoticed. The guy just performs in some small bars and clubs these days. Shame... as this is a magnificent album in its genre (AOR/Van Hagar/Whitesnake)-style. One of the best voices in rock, definitely.

Oh yeah... I have "Live in Europe" from Callagher. What studio works do you recommend?

My Fave two albums are Tattoo and Top Priority however Calling Card is good two.

• Like 1

Spencer Davis I'm a Man - to me one of the best bass/organ riffs ever, instantly recognizable.

He was about 15 years old when he did this.

I was fortunate to have a family friend who managed the big concert hall in the town I grew up in. Saw most of the greats during their primes.

Only two bands I wanted to see that I never got the chance. Led Zepplin and Stevie Ray Vaughn. Was very dissapointed that Zep didn't go on tour immediately after the Ahmet Ertegun Tribute show in 2007. Can't believe Robert Plant thought it would be better to tour with Alison Krauss ... :(

What would have been a nice recent highlight of my concert going career was seeing The Who and The Rolling Stones back to back days in Las Vegas in 2006. The Who was phenominal .... but The Stones stunk up the joint the night I saw them. I remember thinking they were done when leaving the show. Heard later that Mick's father had passed and he was jet-lagged from flying back from the UK for the show. Whatever it was, they were horrible that night.

.... but The Stones stunk up the joint the night I saw them. I remember thinking they were done when leaving the show. Heard later that Mick's father had passed and he was jet-lagged from flying back from the UK for the show. Whatever it was, they were horrible that night.

Speaking of the Stones being horrible, back in the mid 70s my buddy Joe was at a Stones concert and it was one of those "off" nights when nothing can go right, and after awhile the audience started to make fun of them.

So Jagger walks up to the mic and says "if anyone in the house thinks they can do better, come on up" and they started into the next song.

Pretty soon there was a bit of a commotion and the audience parted to let someone move up to the stage.  This guy in jeans and a denim jacket gets past security and jumps up on middle stage right in front of the audience.  Jagger looks, and does the worlds biggest facepalm.

Mr. Denim walks over to the microphone and says "Good evening....... I'm Eric Clapton"

Of course the audience went CRAZY, and Clapton joined in... and Joe said it turned into a flat awesome concert after that.

Any Boston fans? Speaking of great guitarists I think Tom Scholtz has very unique sound. I know the first album was THE commercial success but to my ear "Third Stage" has always been a pinnacle of their career. It's "prog" enough for my tastes.

The opening "Amanda" is cheesy but the rest is pure perfection.

The Launch - Cool the Engines is just sick stuff. Scholtz made all the effects with guitar... no synths were used.

PS: I played this album to my 14-year old nephew (who plays guitar) and he was completely sold.

Speaking of the Stones being horrible, back in the mid 70s my buddy Joe was at a Stones concert and it was one of those "off" nights when nothing can go right, and after awhile the audience started to make fun of them.

So Jagger walks up to the mic and says "if anyone in the house thinks they can do better, come on up" and they started into the next song.

Pretty soon there was a bit of a commotion and the audience parted to let someone move up to the stage. This guy in jeans and a denim jacket gets past security and jumps up on middle stage right in front of the audience. Jagger looks, and does the worlds biggest facepalm.

Mr. Denim walks over to the microphone and says "Good evening....... I'm Eric Clapton"

Of course the audience went CRAZY, and Clapton joined in... and Joe said it turned into a flat awesome concert after that.

So the Stones would deliberately play awful just to let Clapton outshine them?