When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Classic Rock Bands Thread

hambone

Those are two great stories. Being that I was born in the 70's, I've always felt that the best years of rock were all before my time.Like many of you, the Stones, Led Zep and Hendrix were my favorites.I will say though that a few bands from the 80's like ACDC, VH, and GnR can spark those same feelings. Listening to Back in Black cranked up makes my hair stand up. I remember putting Appetite for Destruction on for the first time and was totally blown away. After that album was over, I could have sworn I had just done something wrong... Brilliant songs

Sadly, I don't think there has been a band that has broke through in the last decade with any staying power.

When I was in college there was an up-and-coming group from the northwest.  They were pretty good, and had grown up with my roommate.  I'll omit their names to save them the embarrassment.

So we were talking and they had just toured with Van Halen as an opening act.  While they were in the Windy City they did a set at a large club, and were really tearing it up.  During the 2nd set a crowd of guys at a table were cheering them on, and sending beers up to the stage.  So of course they played harder and with a little more strut.

This happened again during the 3rd set so during the break afterward they thought they'd go hang with their crowd of admirers.  They came over to the table all cocky and were talking like "Yeah we're doing pretty well, going good tonight, got a big opening tomorrow for -- long pause -- Van Halen" and the guys at the table were very impressed.  But somehow it seemed like they knew the music biz too.  Hmmmmmmmm, very strange........

So more beers appeared during the 4th set, and afterward the up-and-comers went out to hang with their admirers.  They were bragging again, then one of them said "You guys seem like you understand the music biz a little... do you play?"

So one of the guys at the table said "Yeah we've got a little group too, no big deal."

(you can see it coming.....................)

"Oh yeah?  What do you call yourself?"

"Chicago."

He'd been bragging to Peter Cetera all night and didn't have a clue.   :bangin:

As I recall my life in the art business, it seems almost absurd how many famous people I have dealt with. It is always a bit of a kick

each encounter. I have related so many anecdotes here that it is almost embarrassing.

So, by golly, here is yet another, given Van Halen is a topic. When I was owner/partner of an art gallery in Lahaina, Maui, Sammy Hagar purchased a couple of surrealist paintings from me. Van Halen had just performed in Honolulu, and I at first did not recognize him.

He right off the bat spent 65K and I was writing the invoice, asked him his name and he said "Sammy Hagar", and had his gorgeous companion in stitches because of the way it played out. I think we were all amused. He was great!

It's amazing how low-key some of these bozos are.  I was walking to the coffee shop a couple summers ago and stopped on a street corner downtown, and the couple next to me were talking about looking for a Starbucks.  :bad:

I politely inserted myself in their conversation, they were obviously tourists and ignorant.  So I said "let me show you a REAL cup of coffee" and we had a real nice chat as we walked 1/4 mile to the Kaladi Brothers store.  I ordered and told them to step up and I'd get it.  So he goes to the counter and takes off his sunglasses, and the girl behind the counter froze like a deer in headlights.  Standing there, mouth hanging open, drooling.  So I looked at him and said "hey, you're that guy!" and he laughed out loud.

Ben Affleck and Jennifer Garner.  Totally cool, laid back, enjoying a "warm" day in Alaska.  :tu:

That's great Nanuq! Looks like this is Ben's second round as "Bennifer", after Ms, Lopez with the extraordinary

derriere.

• 2 weeks later...

I was just listening to the updated Stones double LP +Exiles on Main Street+ , A great classic album, with added outakes and demos not found on the earlier versions. This album takes me back to the summer of 1974 in Hawaii, when my life was becoming amazing. It is the soundtrack to my youth and hearing it transports me decades ago with the feeling I was still there. Alas a glance in the mirror is not the tall skinny surfer boy with blond hair. :g:

post-3251-0-85895800-1393089783_thumb.jp

• 1 year later...

This might be the best Eddie live solo. He was completely soberb during the Balance tour and it really shows in his incredible playing. 

Personally I think they'd be better off with Hagar and Michael Anthony at this point. DLR's voice is completely f....d up (he didn't have much voice to begin with) and based on his last showing he has stage charisma of a beached whale.

Many rock bandsw have come and gone. Many are still around. Most of the early rock bands either began or were greatly influenced by earlier blues bands. Jethro Tull, Rolling Stones, Who, and many more began as blues bands. In the later 60s blues and blues-rock bands were common even in the San Francisco underground psychedelic music scene. Jefferson Airplane, Doug Sahm, Quicksilver Messenger Service and many more kept blues alive. 

As for the greatest rock bands ever...my choice is Quicksilver Messenger Service, Jethro Tull, the original Jefferson Starship (only one album recorded: Blows Against The Empire), Uriah Heep, and Pink Floyd. Many other bands canbe incuded, but these are the ones I listen to the most. To me, most music (?) since the early 70s is junk.

I agree with you one hundred per cent. In my case it was Pink Floyd and "Wish you were here" is a tune that's present every day in my life since it came out, back in the 1975.

Im with you, i love every Pink Floyd song and "Wish you were here" chills me to the bone.

Not really "classic" rock but a cool story.  Saw Metallica at the Bellevue skate king back in the early 80's.  It was probably 6 months before they released "Kill em All".  They were the opening act of a 3 band metal show.  Went to a little after hours party at the Eastside motel with all the bands.  We knew they were going to make it, but had not idea to the level they attained.

Hard to pick a favorite, but if I narrow it down Led Zeppelin or Iron Maiden would be on the top of the list depending on my mood.   

I saw Rush again on the R40 tour a few weeks ago. They are every bit as good now as they were when I first saw them in the late 70's. Better in some ways actually.

If they still have stops in your neck of the woods, all I can say is GO!

Unfortunately they don't come to Europe this time. And probably never will come again. :(

But I've seen them five times. I'm fortunate. My son will probably envy those experiences like I envy my dad's Led Zeppelin gig in 1969.

Where did you see them tomhorn? Here's a few pictures of their Madison Square Garden gig a few days ago. First pic is like a Mothership Landing... We have assumed control! :)

rush-41.jpg

rush-20.jpg

rush-19.jpg

rush-28.jpg

rush-42.jpg

• 1 year later...

When I was in Japan several years ago I saw a HUGE Mr. Big outdoor concert in Osaka(I think, I was pretty drunk and this was 2000-2001ish.

It was surprisingly awesome and the bad it super OVER in Japan!

Saw The Searchers and The Zombies August 4, 1965.  Otis Redding, James Brown, Wilson Pickett a few years before that was probably the first.  Over 100 since then including the original Lynyrd Skynyrd, Peter Frampton (when he was Frampton's Camels), Joe Cocker, Golden Earring, Frank Marino (Mahogany Rush), Mountain, UFO, Rod Stewart, Stevie Ray, Kansas, CS&N, 38 Special, Edgar and Johnny Winter, Jackson Browne, Rick Derringer, Journey, Bob Seger, Kiss(!), REO, The Tokens, Dolly (she is from 20 miles up the road), Kenny Rogers, Doc and Merle Watson, Leon Redbone(!) etc, etc.  ZZ Top was the last a few years ago.  Billy Gibbons said (more or less) "Here we are, 30 years later, same three guys, same three chords, same three songs, playin' the same town."

Wow, that's some list automatico! 

I saw my first 'real' concert in the early 80's when I had just turned 13years old. My parents found out that I was going and said that I had to be accompanied as none of my friends were going. My father hated rock music so my mother gamely volunteered! We went to see Meatloaf (and the Neverland Express). My mother being so short couldn't see so we ended up standing on the raised platform for wheelchair users at the back of the hall! At first I was mortified, but by the end of the night it was forgotten about - even my mother was converted by the music and is now a Meatloaf fan. 

Others I've seen include, Iron Maiden, WASP, Saxon, Megadeth, Skid Row, Thunder, The Almighty, Billy Idol, Def Leppard (and I'm not sure if Madonna counts here!). 

I've regretfully missed a few great bands. I've always wanted to see both AC/DC and GnR but have never been in the same area as them!

Not completely convinced if fits in the genre of the `classic rock` but in terms of legendary status it sure does: went to see The Cure last weekend during their European tour.

I was born at the end of the 80`s so I am way to young to have experienced all those great bands first hand. The Cure however always had a special place in my heart (especially in high school) and with all the celebrities who passed away recently (Prince, Bowie, Cohen,...) it was actually my boss who convinced me to grab tickets while `we still could`. Best decision ever! They deluded the crowd with a mind-blowing 3 hour set.

Very glad I could still witness them live. I expect a new opportunity will not happen anytime soon.