When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Noob Questions: Planet Ocean Ceramic Titanium/Rubber Blue

luc717

Hi chaps,

I'm relatively new to Omegas but have found one that I love and am hoping you might be able to assist me with a few noob questions! I've read through pretty much every related thread so hopefully they won't be too painful. Big thanks to everyone for the info/reviews, particularly Cougar and Khashayar.

This will be my first rep. I came to RWG for a Breitling Navitimer but the inaccuracies and the fact that there will be a new model in circa 6 months put me off. The Omega model I'm looking to purchase is this one on Trusty:

1958050a14a6e4b5cb47ac45229c3ebc.image.8

Firstly, is this model the new rep from the noob factory, or the older one from BP just updated with a new strap? I understand the noob one will be of higher accuracy and that there has been a delay in their rep coming out. If this is the BP one, would you advise I wait? This one looks pretty damn good to me!

Secondly, is there anything I should keep an eye out for when it comes to QC? I've seen that the pearl being as close to centre as possible in the triangle is something that can vary and also the straightness of the '12' marking. Is there anything else I should ask Andrew to try to avoid for me? I'm a bit of a perfectionist so would like to pick up the best possible version.

Thirdly, could anyone advise what the correct box would be for the gen of this model? I'd quite like to pick one up to go with it and found the following two on Trusty.

Lastly, it may sound ridiculous but for clarity what is the correct term & acronym for this model? I've seen a large number of acronyms (CrPO, POLM, ti) related and also some numbers, e.g. 300. From what I understand, this model is made from titanium, has a ceramic bezel (on the gen) and is made from titanium - does that make it a POLMCrTi?!  :lol:

Many thanks in advance for the help/patience, much appreciated.

Hi!

So, welcome aboard.

1. This isn't the noob version but it's still a pretty decent version. I would recommend reading this thread:

http://www.rwgforum.net/topic/158918-crpo-45-mm-titanium-review-with-pics/

While this model does have inconsistencies with the gen, it's still a nice rep. Look on the last page of the thread for it on a rubber strap. The noob ones have been shown around with teasers but I've been hearing that they will be released for a long time now. Trusty Time is a good TD and good luck with the pearl, it's one of the things none of the reps can get right (with the exception of a couple of SMPs and the Noob LMPO).

I can't comment on the box but I do believe the leather ones are included with the purchase and the wooden ones are given when your watch comes back from service (or if the AD likes you :)

The correct term should be Omega Seamaster Planet Ocean 45.50 mm Titanium Liquidmetal® with the gen Calibre 8500. Yeah. That's a crazy long name.

Here is the press release if you want to hear all of the gen specifics: http://www.omegawatches.com/press/press-kit-text/2372

Gen Pics: http://forums.watchuseek.com/f20/first-omega-planet-ocean-8500-liquid-metal-titanium-811134.html

Let me know if you have any other questions!

• Like 1

Hi mdiazperera,

Many thanks for your reply. Appreciate you going to the time!

That review thread is great. I had a look through before but some of the photos hadn't loaded on my iPad. Certainly looks to be a very good quality rep to me.

Good to hear your thoughts on the noob version. I don't really want to wait around any longer so will drop Angus at Puretime a quick message to see if he has any new info, but otherwise looking to pull the trigger on one next week. The main issue seems to be the bezel/pearl, which long term I plan to replace with a gen anyway, so I'm sure this version will do the job.

Cheers for clearing up my confusion on the terms. I think differentiating the different PO's will come to me with time/experience. The press release is actually a lot more informative than the product page on their website so thanks for that.

I will go with the leather box then. That would be my preference anyway!

Thanks again for all your help. Looking forward to getting my hands on the watch now. If Angus gives me any good info I will post it in the noob thread.

Thanks Reaper, useful to know.

Would anyone be able to advise how they rate the following QC pics?

Just got them through from Andrew @ Trusty after having to reject the first one as the pearl had a load of imperfections (glue or soldered metal) around the circular raised part that houses the lume.

This one looks better but doesn't look like it has much lume inside it, thereby losing the effect of it looking like a pearl with the slightly spherical shape. That being said, the 12 marker looks incredibly straight and I will most likely replace the bezel within 12 months with a gen part, but I'd like to have something decent in the mean time.

Is this as good as I'm going to get on this model?

Cheers,

Luc

61_zps567f4598.jpg

62_zps01fe6471.jpg

64_zps97861577.jpg

66_zps2acd1792.jpg

Edited by luc717

God, I wish they took better pictures. Ask them for pictures where the watch is laying down, completely straight. None of this angle bullshit that makes it impossible to see what's really crooked. The spacing seems to be good on the markers but I think the one at the 9 Hour could be crooked. Bad optical illusions when they're at an angle.

I asked for more but he said this is all I'm getting. The markers are good enough for my expectations anyway, just the pearl I'm concerned about. Any thoughts on it?

i will get this one ,in this two days.....and then i can show you more pics here. you can see more detail.

Thanks for the offer Rayma. I meant this exact watch, as the pearl varies on each rep produced by the factory. There are plenty of pics of other reps of this model here:

http://www.rwgforum.net/topic/158918-crpo-45-mm-titanium-review-with-pics/

And here:

http://www.rwgforum.net/topic/162766-po-titanium-45-from-trusty/

I decided to go ahead and approve the one above anyway. I don't think the pearl is great but Andrew assured me it is just the photos. The bezel is easy enough and cheap to replace anyway and the dial looks good to me.

I have from TT>>

OMG0267A - Planet Ocean Ceramic SS/RU Swiss Eta 2824-2

I'm very happy with it. There may be some "flaws" that the microscopes can see, but if i were to look a a gen from 2 feet away vs mine, i can't see any difference. Besides, it's less than $400!! Btw, very happy with the movement vs an A7750 that came in another rep i purchased. This runs a touch fast, but very smooth.

Go for it, you won't be disappointed.

Received the watch! Overall very pleased and blown away by the quality, with this being my first rep.

I will post up some proper photos and a full review in the next week, but was hoping to get a little more advice if you would be so kind...

The pearl was exactly as I expected. The lume only comes half way up the circular rim and thus it loses any effect of looking like a pearl. Andrew reassured me it was just the photos after I highlighted this as an issue, so I feel he is at fault. Do you think I've got any chance of getting him to provide me with a replacement bezel for free, in the interests of protecting his reputation?

PO-Pearl-1_zpsf44ae834.jpg

PO-Pearl-2_zps7a0044ec.jpg

PO-Pearl-3_zps821bb586.jpg

Seeing as another RWG user had one like this shipped last week, I think mine is well below the standard expected. It's worse than any pearl I have seen on this model.

PO-Pearl-4_zps1c2582ad.jpg

Grateful for the help and apologies for the photos - best I could do with an iPhone!

sorry to hear but a rep will never be a gen so just keep that in mind. Nevertheless I can perfectly understand you since I am also a perfectionist. So easiest way to change bezel is to take out the movement and pop the crystal out. But without the right tools and skills its pretty difficult. So if you can do it ask andrew nicely for a replacement and I am sure he will send you one! He can source all the parts and he is a reliable and stamd up guy! But otherwise enjoy the nice watch and your dial looks spot on!

Cheers

If he would be a nice guy, he would have sent the bezel with the watch right away.

He knew very good that the pearl is bad, and yet he tried to sell you the watch anyway. Not that I have anything against him, from my experience, every TD is the same, of course they won't list you all the flaws and photograph them, that wouldn't get them anywhere.

I just try to accept the flaws in a rep watch, every one of mine has 8-10 flaws, some bigger than others. But my main concern is always the movement, and I don't have great experience with movements from BP factory, may it be Asian or Swiss.

I can tell you that I did get the new caseback from Josh from Perfect Clones. Bezel is also probably not such a problem, but anything more, and I think you have to pay yourself.

Thanks for the replies.

Andrew has agreed to send a new bezel insert if I cover $20 'postage' for airmail. I agreed so we will see what he can pick up. I have requested that he try to get one as good as the one I posted above and that I'm happy to wait if a good one is not available. 

Sputim, if it wasn't centred but full of lume like the other reps I have seen then I wouldn't be bothering to change it, at least for now. But unfortunately it really stands out being half empty and the rim around the pearl isn't rounded; it's like the end of a sawed-off pipe, if you see what I mean. Then again, as you say, I am a perfectionist ;)  Thanks for the info. Once I find out more details about the method I will go from there. Quite keen to pick up the relevant tools and do it myself if possible, just to learn. 

Reaper, I largely agree and wont be buying from Andrew again. He pressured me into accepting this one even though I had highlighted a significant and specific flaw. I made the decision to approve though so I can live with the repercussions. 

I read that on the old POs you could use a hairdryer to warm up/soften the glue behind the bezel insert and then pop it out using a razor blade. Is this not the case with the newer POs?

Also I am currently searching the forums but would anyone be able to point me in the direction of a disassembly guide/thread for the new PO?

As it happens the watch doesn't seem to be holding a 'charge' all of a sudden, so it might be going to a watchmaker anyway!

Thanks a lot for the help

Edited by luc717

Very sorry for the triple post but just noticed through the case back window that the movement has 2836-2 inscribed on it. I ordered an ETA 2824-2.

Could anyone advise me if this means it's likely to be a clone rather than ETA? If so, am I looking at a return to Andrew? The movement has stopped working after one week.

My Swiss movement with 8500 decoration from BP factory, altough in Aqua Terra, but they are the same as in PO, has 2836-2 too.

This doesn't mean it is a clone. 2836-2 is just a day-date version of 2824-2, and it can also be used in watches with just date function.

You have to know you are not the only one with this problem. Some examples (don't know if you are registered else, that's why quotes):

http://www.rwgforum.net/topic/159225-swiss-eta-2836-or-a2836/?p=1232978

A2836s is are new movements. The Swiss ETAs that come in our reps are mostly NOS or old salvished movements. Both need service in principle.... Buy a Swiss sealed ETA movement so you know it is fresh or buy an Asian clone and have it serviced would be my advice.

http://www.rwgforum.net/topic/163554-omega-po-ti/?p=1275180

If you pay premium for Swiss you shall receive one.

Remember that you'll receive an old and dirty movement 9 out of 10 times.

http://www.rwgforum.net/topic/146298-asian-eta-2836-2-vs-swiss-eta-2836-2/?p=1105331

Do not be under the illusion that if you buy a Swiss ETA it will be a fresh piece out of an ETA sealed blister package. It will be a used movement or new old stock from open palletized inventory susceptible to dirt contamination.

http://www.rwgforum.net/topic/161542-omega-seamaster-300m-ceramic-black-a-review-finally/page-7#entry1271182

Mine definitely doesn't look brand new. But hey, it works

http://www.repgeek.com/showthread.php?t=208131&page=2&p=2325527&viewfull=1#post2325527

some of these BP 2836-2 movements are probably 20-30 years old and a mish-mash of all sorts of crap in them. I'd much prefer if they had standard a2824 and were priced lower. BP seem to be charging a premium for eta which is laughable, one of the 2836 I'd seen on a CrPO looked like it had been run over by a truck.

http://www.replica-watch.info/vb/showthread.php/omega-seamaster-pro-150166.html?p=1492945#post1492945

One thing I will tell you is that the factory that makes these omega watches does not use new Swiss movements. They use old refurbished ones with questionable quality. Other Rep factories use new ones that are more reliable.

http://www.replica-watch.info/vb/showthread.php/new-1-1-132072.html?p=1413269#post1413269

My last CrPO Ti has a "swiss" ETA but the movement was a refurbished one...really dirty...so a clone would be a great alternativ IMO

http://www.replica-watch.info/vb/showthread.php/new-116110ln-from-128483.html?p=1259306#post1259306

Honestly, since these are gussied up 2836 (painted and engraved to kindof resemble rolex mvmt) I would say order the clone, and replace with a real stock eta mvmt if it dies eventually. I would not pay more for a rep factory modded swiss mvmt.

This is actually my watch:

http://www.replica-watch.info/vb/showthread.php/new-1-1-132072.html?p=1645541#post1645541

My Aqua Terra with same movement actually works, but it has the same problem, loud rattling rotor and the screw heads are all chewed up.

Also turning the crown when setting time is rough.

But in the future, I would rather take an Asian movement, it is better, new, and it costs less, this watch is $308 (I haven't found it on Trusty's).

http://www.p-cls.com/omcpo45154-pocean-ceramic-blue-titi-asian-clone-2836-p-14732.html

Altough Asian can have problems too, the one in my BP factory Submariner doesn't want to unhack sometimes and the winding isn't smooth.

So I just don't trust BP factory no more, my next watch will probably be from Noob factory, they only use new movements, be it Asian or Swiss.

http://www.rwg.bz/board/index.php?showtopic=10452&st=20&p=252520&#entry252520

Some watch makers carry reclaimed movements which are of lower price. And reclaimed movements might need service as you said.

I usually quote my buyers directly if there is option for reclaimed movements, but I do not suggest the reclaimed ones due to the low realiability. 

This UPO is from noobmaker. And noobmaker has not supplied watches with reclaimed movements till now.

Only looking at the price difference, should give you an idea of different quality. All prices are for PO's, BP has different ceramic models, and Noob only has the LMLE for now.

BP Asian - $268 for 42mm ceramic, $278 for 45mm ceramic, $308 for 45mm blue Ti

Noob Asian - $298

BP Swiss - $328 for 42mm ceramic, $368 for 42mm blue Ti, $338 for 45mm ceramic, $368 for 45mm blue Ti

Noob Swiss - $448

Edited by GrimReaper85

Very sorry to hear that now also the movement stopped working. Rep business is alot about being lucky or getting a bad watch. More often you will be lucky but sometimes bad luck hits you. Ask Andrew about sending it back but just be aware of the fact that a return to china can take weeks. So be patient or have the watch services at a local watmaker which was my advice.

Wow thanks a lot for the detailed reply Reaper. I had actually read almost all of those threads but opted for the ETA in the end because it wasn't that much more expensive and I thought it was a safer bet. Now I wish I had gone with an Asian version and bought a sealed movement. Will definitely bear in mind that BP don't have the best reputation for ETAs. I think my next purchase will be from Noob anyway. Thanks again for all the info.

Thanks Sputim, I'm thinking my best option is to send it back to Andrew and ask him to get the movement repaired and the new bezel installed. Otherwise from what I can tell there aren't any UK-based watchmakers at the moment, so my nearest is in Spain. With the bezel replacement as well, I'm probably looking at quite a hefty fee. Any thoughts on this?

I'm also considering buying some tools and servicing it myself. I'm the sort of person that likes to know what's going on inside (taken my iPhone to bits many times) and having read a few tear down guides, I'm confident I could do it. It's just the bezel replacement that I'm unsure of at the moment. Do you think a repair in China (via Andrew) would be done sloppily and I'd get a better result if I did it myself?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

So even if you wind the movement it is not working? So totally dead or just inaccurate? You can also find a rep friendly watch maker..just go and ask whether they are open to service a rep or not. Since the movement is eta every watchmaker should be able to solve the problem. Changing the bezel with the heating and razor method works if you have a new one since you most probably will scratch the old one. The bezel itself is only glued in with not a very strong glue I have to say. If I were you I would first try to get the movement fixed locally..just use google to find some watchsmiths in your area and then ask them with open cards. If not you most probably have to send it back. I even had such problems with an asian eta of bp so you can also be unlucky with a brand new movement. And be aware of the fact that also gen watches can stop working suddenly. Let us know how you proceed. :inverted:

Well I've managed to get the movement going again, for now! It was totally dead no matter what I tried to do, but winding the hour/min hands round by about 24 hours did the job. They got to a point where it became slightly 'sticky' to turn them, but I gently pushed them past that point and now the second hand is moving as normal.

My guess (from my limited knowledge of movements) is that I have managed to move some dirt from one part to another, especially as the date doesn't seem to be advancing under its own steam anymore. I have found several watchmakers who will service it from £40-£80 but when it wasn't working I was planning to send it back to Andrew (he agreed), since I needed the bezel replacing too. I'm still considering this if the date function is definitely broken. Only issue is that he says I have to send it back by Airmail, not a courier, which makes me nervous.

Sputim, have you used that bezel technique on the latest PO's or just the previous version? I'm a little nervous in case I lever it out and they have changed how they put it together!

Thanks a lot for all the help chaps, much appreciated

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

No problem at all since I received my bezel just last weekend. I had to change the crystal and dial anyway so it was very easy to remove the bezel once I popped the crystal out. But without doing so just heat it up with a hairdryer and use a rezor blade or something very thin to get under the bezel somehow. It is just glued in with a not very strong glue but bear in mind that you most probably will scratch the old bezel but since you get a new one anyway this doesn't matter. And also press in the pearl a little more when you get your new bezel, since it is not meant to stand out of the bezel ;)