When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

We Now Have Our Chance....

Richard Tracy

• Replies 385
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Speaking from a sales perspective, I think over the long term the greatest ROI one could possibly make from creating a new watch, would be the duplication of a Rolex. Simply put, more people have had & will have those over any other brand (i.e., everyones been through a Rolex at one point, but not everyone will necessarily own a Vacheron, IWC, U Nardin, etc.). If it were my money being invested in a new creation, I'd bet either an exact replica of the Sub, SD, or GMT would probably bring in the most money. And if it's a 1:1 match, most people will bypass every other dealer's model around--including the MBWs--to pay through the nose for something that even beginers can easily add gen parts to. Hell, it'd practically be a gen straight from the box, if it's done right. I know I'd buy one; and I bet 60% of the rest of the board would too eventually. I think that's where you'll get your biggest return on investment.

HE HAS A POINT THERE! But still something different would be nice

Speaking from a sales perspective, I think over the long term the greatest ROI one could possibly make from creating a new watch, would be the duplication of a Rolex. Simply put, more people have had & will have those over any other brand (i.e., everyones been through a Rolex at one point, but not everyone will necessarily own a Vacheron, IWC, U Nardin, etc.). If it were my money being invested in a new creation, I'd bet either an exact replica of the Sub, SD, or GMT would probably bring in the most money. And if it's a 1:1 match, most people will bypass every other dealer's model around--including the MBWs--to pay through the nose for something that even beginers can easily add gen parts to. Hell, it'd practically be a gen straight from the box, if it's done right. I know I'd buy one; and I bet 60% of the rest of the board would too eventually. I think that's where you'll get your biggest return on investment.

I don't think this is about investment and return. It's about custom niche creation. Richard is essentially asking us what kind of gourmet meal we would like a hired 4 star chef to make us. Asking for the perfect submariner is like asking for a perfect hamburger.

Not that that watch, a truly perfect 1-1 OEM interchangeable Sub isn't many enthusiasts idea of the holy grail. It certainly has crossed my mind once or twice but this seems like a special, limited engagement. Let's get something unique and beautiful.

@gio......I understand your point of view......however.....wherever you are in this world......you will always find yourself 100ft away from a Rolex......and to be frank...if I had paid $4k for a Sub....only to find myself being asked the same 'friggin' question every time someone sees it on my wrist...."is it a fake'......would [censored] the life out of me.....it doesn't matter if you're wearing gen or rep.....automatic assumption is that it's fake....besides....any clown can put 2500 pounds on his credit card and buy one.....so you're a wannabe.....what dya wanna be....one of the sheeple...or leader of the pack.....the honest truth is that Rolex are just the Mercedes of the watch world....as Omega are the BMW......only difference is I'd give Omega a little more credit than Rolex......I mean show me the 'complicated' models that Rolex produce.....where's the rattrapante.....where's the grand complications......I mean the most complicated watch they make ....the Daytona...doesn't even have a bloody date.....Tudor does....!

Rolex are wannabe watches....I can understand the fascination with the 'vintage' or mil-spec Rolexes.....I mean there are 'anoraks' in every hobby.....but take a step backwards and look at the big picture.....Rolex just aren't in it......mind you they could supply a lot of red paint to be used in the big picture....!

I'm surprised there has been no mention of JLC in this thread.

Here are two candidates:

158656-12922.jpg

158656-12923.jpg

Gotta love this JLC! I've searched for a nice rep of this to no avail. Wish it was a few mm larger though.

Can you list all the popular models that have the intended movements and we can choose from there?

Noobs like me are clueless what drives every watch out there but we know what looks good. :bounce:

PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE,

158661-12915.jpg

Gotta love this JLC! I've searched for a nice rep of this to no avail. Wish it was a few mm larger though.

Can you list all the popular models that have the intended movements and we can choose from there?

Noobs like me are clueless what drives every watch out there but we know what looks good. :bounce:

Well basicly any thing with the seconds at 3 (it could be a lefty) or 9 or center seconds, no chrongraphs, no alarms as the choice of movement does not allow for them, GMT should be possible and power reserves though!

PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE,

158664-12913.jpg

A Limited Edition???????Let's not forget the plan here is to buy one to rep one! :)

Hi Andrew.....I don't know if you've ever held a gen Blue Max.....it's very lightweight....highly polished....doesn't feel substantial....and personally I think looks more like a Bulgari......JMO....:D

Hi Andrew.....I don't know if you've ever held a gen Blue Max.....it's very lightweight....highly polished....doesn't feel substantial....and personally I think looks more like a Bulgari......JMO....:D

As a matter of fact I have. The blue dial is so stunning. It's lightness is probably due to the rubber strap?