When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

1940s PPCo Chrono Build

I was quite close to cutting this piece loose from my collection. However, at Mrs. Ubi’s recommendation I withdrew.

http://www.rwgforum.net/topic/157422-feeler-kicking-the-idea-around/

And now, just a few months later, I’m glad I took her suggestion to heart.

This watch has undergone a facelift a few times, some updates here and there but it is the most recent update that has me the most excited.

May I present my 1940's PPCo 530… Now with 100% more gen dial.

18683820641_a3b625b648_c.jpg

18683820681_b01e9c8528_c.jpg

Picked this dial up on luck; seller had it listed with some poor quality images, though there were some small details that stood out that made me feel comfortable enough to take a pretty substantial (albeit educated) chance. Shortly after sealing the deal, I had the dial in my hands and sure enough, it was as expected- 100% genuine. Nice, hard enamel fonts, and in excellent, near NOS condition.

Having returned recently from travel, I didn’t have my watches in hand as they were all in the bank’s security deposit box. So, after hurriedly picking them up, I swapped in the dial. In the duration of this project’s life, the watch as a whole never looked quite right to me… Always something missing... Until now. It’s amazing how much difference the right dial can make as it now looks and feels proper.

I still have a long ways to go before calling this one done… But it’s on it’s way, and in a wearable state no less. I’ll be enjoying this one (as well as a few other PPCo builds in my collection) for a few more days and then back into the bank vault they go…

Sorry for the lack of images… Long days at the office combined with shorter days as the Fall season approaches means less time to set up shots/composition, etc.I’ll try and get some images this weekend when I have some free time…

Thanks for looking!

//ubi

• Like 2

Another beautiful PP. you have and amazing collection of those wonderful, timeless watches. I would love to find one from the early 40's for a birthdate watch. Not much out there that goes back that far, I'm afraid. I believe I remember this one from your "sort if"sales thread, but the new dial really makes it!

I like them both for sure mate..... I am glad that for once a wife made sense !! ;)

I hope you thanked her with something special.... :)

Is that a brushed satin finish to the dial... It seems to suggest a lovely look in varying lights...unlike the first dial which looks flat... You have the same hands is that correct for this dial or will you be looking to change these if needed.... not that there si anything wrong with them as they are...just out of interest mate?

Very Sweet and very very tasty..... :)

Thank you kindly, gentlemen; I appreciate the comments.

Mrs. Ubi has been a big supporter in my hobby/addiction/obsession; oft times, when I am considering the idea of selling something, she’s the one to talk me out of it! And when parts that she knows I’ve been searching for turn up, she’s always the first to encourage me in procuring them post haste.

This watch is probably now at a 75% completion point for me. I only have one thing to really complete, and that’s to get the movement converted. I am, however at a crossroads as I need to prioritize my time between work, home, family and other projects. Not to digress, but I’ve been working the project below in parallel, along with a few others here and there. I need to focus on one project to completion, and pick the other up once I’ve wrapped it up. As it is… I just have way too many things going on at once and I need to manage what little time I seem to have during the day a little better.

9499769882_a2b9c9a3ef_c.jpg

9639675377_d0260de7cc_c.jpg

9855826915_203661e654_c.jpg

9845546674_7dc3a72e93_c.jpg

With regards to the 530… Hands are correct; Patek used several different types of hands during this era- pencil, leaf, spade, alpha… Performing a search on Antiquorum’s database turns up several variations. The hour and minute hands on mine are genuine and match the indicies (it’s difficult to tell, but the hour markers are all white metal). The small subdial hands and center seconds hand are all fabricated. Dial is a champagne tone, but casts a nice, warm silver tone in the right light. The ‘print’ (it’s not really print, per se, but rather hard enamel) is maybe the most alluring attribute; it’s difficult to explain, but the fonts, chapter, tachy scale all have an almost glowing effect in contrast to the dial. This is probably the reason why I end up stealing as many glances at my wrist, but somehow end up missing the actual time  J

• Like 1