When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Anti-Reflective Coating on 42mm Planet Ocean

frost

I apologize if this topic has been discussed before, but I recently purchased my first rep, and while happy with the overall experience with Andrew from Trusty Time (excellent communication), I'd like to inquire about the experiences people have had with the AR coating on these watches. The model I purchased (OMG0154) is a rep of the PO worn in Quantam of Solace (Omega 2201.50). It's listed as having a purple AR coating on the crystal. I didn't notice it at first, but at certain angles it looks like a very smudged up purple hologram on the glass. I tried using a lens cleaning cloth to wipe it clean, but to no avail. Unfortunaetly, it's next to impossible to photograph this phenomenon. Has anyone here seen anything similar with AR coatings?

He is super fast. I'm interested to know what he says about that pic. Pro'ly will say just ship it back. Too bad you could not see it in the QC pics

I'm more concerned about this being a QC problem in general that they don't have a fix for. I literally just got the thing yesterday.. kind of frustrating.

yes, I believe this is an improper ar coating. I had this similar situation happen on an 3rd party AR coat done through one of the forums. 

Improper, as in they occasionally screw them up, or is this a known flaw affecting a large percentage, or all of the items they release

Please let me know what he says.. I'm curious.

Andrew offered to send another piece of "glass" --- I'm verifying that he means sapphire.

Josh has asked me to return the watch for repair.

Already noticed my rotor isn't winding the watch correctly (DG 4813) version, so looks like it's going back to China!

Regards.

After extensive reading I realised that sending back to China was going to be a frustrating experience. Popped down to my local hardware store and purchased some liquid metal polish (like Brasso) for £1. 10 minutes of rubbing took the AR coating right off. I actually prefer it without the coating, obviously because with the peeling it looked horrific, but also, the overly blue tint has now gone. There is AR coating under the crystal, so there is still a slight tint at certain angles, but nothing like it was before.

Fingers crossed the watch stopping was due to a day of inactivity. If I notice it again I'd rather have it repaired locally than send it back.

I recommend taking the AR off Frost. Hope you resolve your situation.

Regards.

My noob 45mm op had very tiny swirls in the ar 2 weeks after I got it. I only ever wiped it with a new micro cloth. I drove me crazy so I took it off with a dremil buff and simichrome. Looks spotless in bright light now if slightly more reflective. Does anyone know of a company that does double AR with high resistance or is this the same with the gens too?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD