When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

What were your thoughts on this years offerings at Basel?

TeeJay

I loved the re-released Tudor Ranger, but was rather disappointed by the new Cellini line... Sure, they were beautiful watches, but I felt there was nothing about them (other than brand marking, of course) which really said they were 'Rolex Watches'... :bangin::pardon: The DSSD might be an over-sized monstrosity (IMHO), but it's still clearly a Rolex... The Sky-Dweller is crazy money, and maybe a little overly complicated for my taste, but again, still clearly recognisable as part of the Rolex Family... The new Cellini line, however, had the dial been marked Patek Phillippe or Vacheron Constantin, I would equally not have argued, and accepted them 'as offered'. Did anyone else feel Rolex somewhat missed the target with those?

I think the new 40mm ceramic Sea Dweller is the best offering by far. I think the DSSD was far too specialized to be a viable tool watch and it is literally a clown watch. This new Sea Dweller brings the line back to human proportions and will be a functional tool watch, again. JMHO

They missed the mark with the new PepC and I'm disappointed that it's in WG. Big slap in the face to all of the GMT users who had been waiting for this watch to come out in ceramic. I'd take a vintage 1675 any day over this one.

I'm of the opposite mind regarding Cellini: I think Rolex did a spectacular job of reviving that old line, and of carving out a new high-end niche--without having to stick precious stones on every available surface.  And despite the softer curves, I find that the Oyster Perpetual DNA is still evident on the cases. 

As for the sports models, the Pepsi GMT in white gold deserves all the scorn that it's getting.  I don't think I've ever seen excitement turn to bitter disappointment so quickly.  Blue-dial Milgauss?  Would have looked much better without the green glass, in my opinion.  The new Sea-Dweller is probably the best of the bunch, and I love how its design is less brutal than the Sub-C's.

Regarding Tudor, I'm neutral toward the new Ranger, but love the look of the Blue Black Bay.  I continue to eagerly await the blue Pelagos.  Maybe next year?

Agree on the new SD, A-OK.

DSSD is a Clowner for sure. They should come with a pair of white size 30 shoes.

Sky Dweller? Piper Cub pilots don't buy $40k watches. They are more into ThreeBond gasket sealer and parachutes.

Tooter...

BB is Ok but would spend my $$ on a Frankenstein 5512/13 with 1570 or 1520 WR to 100m or so. Nobody down at the swimmin' hole ever heard of a Tudor.

The new Ranger at 41mm? They went modern...need to grind it down and go retro. Today's trendy is tomorrow's turdy. 

'Only' $2825 on a $20 strap? Nah, $1095 maybe. It has an Eater motor in it after all.

Cellini...

Their fake oyster dates are not half bad but I am not into 18k gold watches for $500 a gram. Supposedly have 'in house' motors in 'em...maybe a 3035 brought back from the dead. Have not seen an inside picture.

Liked the swelled up bubbleback look-alikes from a few years back though.

My favorite is the old King Midas but where would a bum like me wear one? Smoking a stogie on a toothpick and wearing a King Midas... 

Real Relax watches have plastic crystals.  :euro:

Real Relax watches have plastic crystals. :euro:

Amen to that.

The new SD is nice, but the price just ridiculous. That blue dial milgauss with green crystal is probably one of the ugliest things ever to come out of their factory... Utterly disappointed by the Pepsi GMT in Wg, come on who wears a tool watch made of gold?

^ Exactly. You should read all of the comments on TRF by fellas who don't know anything about the history of the GMT Master and who could never afford and will never own this watch, praising and lauding Rolex for this brilliant marketing move. Give me a break. Some of those guys are chugging too much of the Kool Aid over there to see the reality.

Everything else aside, this watch is going to be uncomfortably heavy on the wrist to wear while using it for its intended purpose. A 16710 or 1675 is going to be more comfortable for long periods than even the 116710, and I love my GMTIIC rep enough to want the gen. I do take it off a lot during the day, and that's just stainless. Just my opinion coming from never having owned or worn a thick, solid gold watch such as this one.

Edited by Mendota Explorer