When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Help Modernise My Flat!

Hey guys,

So I am currently living in a nice little flat which is owned by a family friend of mine. Unfortunately, it was his ancient auntie's prior to me moving in. So it is about as stereotypically "granny" as you can get. Green and flowery crap EVERYWHERE.

I was wondering if anyone had any ideas for how I can make the place look a little better, without doing any actual permanent work?

Almost impossible to answer without seeing what you have to work with, and knowing your taste.

Having said that, the simplest way to change any space is paint. Easy to do (just take your time, and buy good paint) and it doesn't cost a lot. The nice thing about paint is you can always change it back when you move out.

I like this site for design ideas:

http://www.apartmenttherapy.com/

I'm also big on asking for help if you don't have a good eye for such things. If you have a friend that has a place whose style you like, ask them for help. You can also get help from some furniture stores which provide design services if you buy something.

I'll get some pics up tomorrow :)

Problem is, I'm not sure if my 'landlord' would be okay with me painting, and to be honest, paint won't help too much. The majority of the place has wallpaper to start with, then there's these HIDEOUS green swirly carpets. The place is horribly decorated. Maybe it was nice in the 60's, I don't know