When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Frankenstein Rules...

automatico

I believe there needs to be a few rules as to what qualifies as a Frankenstein watch...imho it can not be just a mail order watch with a genuine spring bar, crystal. or bezel insert.

Anyone besides me think a Frankenstein relax watch should have a genuine movement or a genuine case at least? For example, a replica with only a genuine dial is not a Frankenstein...it's just a replica with a genuine dial. It needs a genuine case or movement to go with the dial to qualify.

As for genuine cases...Frankensteins would need a genuine mid case at least, aftmkt case backs and bezels would be Ok as long as they are true to the original. After all, my guess is that hundreds if not thousands of otherwise 'genuine' watches are floating around with aftmkt case backs and bezels.

Btw...something else that gets my goat are watches that have been 'artificially aged' and come out looking awful. It seems many agers try to make their watch look like the worst beater they have ever seen, especially dive watches.

Rant off.  :prop:

• Like 1

It seems many agers try to make their watch look like the worst beater they have ever seen, especially dive watches.

Rant off.  :prop:

Don't let our friend from the "Great Whate North" hear you say that!!!  But, I agree...

On the Franken front, I somewhat agree.  I try to classify my builds into three categories:

1 - Franken Lites.  A rep with just  a gen dial or gen dial and gen crown.  I don't consider just a crown to be any kind of Franken just a modded rep.

2 - Franken - A gen case, gen dial, and gen crown.

3 - Super or Uber Franken - All gen except movement, in other words indistinguishable from a gen without removing the case-back.

Yeah, I agree that there are different levels. I'm not so convinced about mid case though... I've seen some pretty cool Franken 6542s on here that didn't have an original mid case. Does that mean they're not as good? I saw an original mid case on VRM for like $8500. Does that mean that they should have to buy that before their watch can be classed as a Franken? However, if we're talking a simple DJ or something and the person is like "Yeah, it's got gen springbars" then I agree. My line drawn is usually dial, crystal and crown (the three biggest tells in my book). The mid case can always be reshaped, but the dial is usually make or break.

This topic pops up about once every year. I think a franken should have "a preponderance of genuine parts". Particularly those visible while wearing or inspecting the watch.

I'm not sure what I would consider a rep with a gen movement, other than a waste of money.

I used the mid case as an example of a major genuine part, the other being a movement. I do not believe a Yuki, MBK, J&W etc case with a genuine movement is any less a Frankenstein than one with a genuine mid case because the genuine movement qualifies it as a Frankenstein...a genuine case just adds to the value.

The answer is...

there is no answer.

Yes, this really used to get my goat. To the point where i didn't even bother looking at threads with the franken tag unless it was from the usual suspects ( like automatico).

My franken journey always begins with the gen dial, for it is the window to the soul. A watch with merely a gen dial might be considered a franken lite, but a watch without one wouldn't even qualify as one to me. No offence to anyone, it's just my idiosyncrasy. The watch could be rocking a gen movement, and a gen case, but should the dial not be gen, the most obvious flaws would be nagging at me all day

As others have said, gen dial & movement is a must. However, for a vintage Rolex like a Newman, Comex or Double-Red, a high-quality aftermarket dial like MQ would do.

It's funny that a few have mentionned a genuine mid-case - that's normally the one part that is not gen in many Franken builds.

Are you fellas saying that the most beautiful franken build across any of the forums, which is owned by our own Nanuq, would not pass the muster? His 6538 is darned near a gen in every way and yet your arbitrary rules would DQ it because it has an aftermarket case (built to gen spec), rep dial and ETA movement.

That's the nicest franken I have ever seen and it is not a "lite" in any stretch of the imagination.

If I build a vintage automobile from parts and I use both original, period OEM parts as well as aftermarket parts built to gen specs, I would consider that a vintage XYZ car. I could not show it in a car show where it had to be all original, and I could not sell it without full disclosure of all the components, but it doesn't make it any less of a vintage car.

I do agree that slapping a crown on a fully assembled out of box watch is just a mod.

• Like 1

Yeah, that's what I was getting at. I agree that just swapping a crown or using gen springbars isn't a Franken, but if the cost of the parts makes it unfeasible I don't see why that makes it not a Franken. Isn't that the cause for reps anyway - making a watch appear to be one thing at a significantly reduced cost?

At the end of the day everyone will have different definitions of Frankens. The most important thing is that when contemplating a purchase or trade ignore that word in the description. With an accurate build sheet from the seller you can make your own assessment as to what something is worth - irrespective of what you call it. :)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I totally agree with watchmeister. Before I shell out serious bucks for a "Franken" build, I want a complete detailed build sheet. From that, I can decide if it is really a Franken or not.

I don't find the term as abused on this forum as it is on some of the others. I cringe when I see a watch listed as a "Franken", and the only gen part is a crystal or crown. That my friends does not a Franken make!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk