When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Help me decide on an ROO

Can somebody point me in the direction of their favorite ROO? It's time to buy one so I just wanna make sure I make the right decision the first time. I want to do as little modding as possible because I'm lazy and impatient. I'm still willing to do it if I have to though. So I want it to look as close to an original as possible right out of the box. This is my favorite that I've dug up so far, but I don't care for the rubber bezel. Looks like a dust and lint magnet to me. http://www.intime.co/product.php?id_product=944

Edited by positivitony

Rubberclads are not really dust or lint magnets. The bezel makes the watch...

I would say Black Rubberclad like you selected, but I think they're sold out.

How about:Classic Steel Black Themes

http://intime.co/product.php?id_product=996

A truly iconic AP!

Or Panda:

http://intime.co/product.php?id_product=985

Actually, there are a lot of folks that advocate the diver as the most accurate ROO to date.

I agree, but because the flaws in the ROO chronos are more obvious compared with the diver.

I would recommend a modded diver, with the following done, if you want an even more accurate watch:

Base watch: AP Diver V5, V5.1, V6 (differences to me are very subtle in real life. In pictures, the V6 look the best)

a. slow beat modification: If you have seen the movement on the gen diver, it is a 21,600bph "ticking" vs the 28,800bph smooth sweep used in the replica. This is a subtle difference but you can spot it once you know how to.

b. Bezel screws sinking: Again, something very subtle in real life, but magnified in pictures. Remember that the watch would be a 2inch object on your wrist in real life. All details become harder to scrutinize.

c. Datewheel cyclops: Spot a rep by the very reflective cyclops. ;)

d. Inner bezel numbers on the stainless steel model: My friend and fellow member folex taught me about this recently and I went to do my own research. The recent versions may get closer and closer but still not perfect. There is a subtle lume border around the numbers in the gen which is absent in the rep. A minute detail but once you see it, you cannot "unsee" it.

e. Waterproofing: Well obviously this is not a feature you can spot by looking at a watch. But if you wish to take the watch swimming or diving, trust me waterproofing a watch does wonders to prevent the movement from being the one swimming in the case while you swim in the pool.

f. Relume: to refine the factory lume jobs in decent pieces, and repair it for atrocious models.

So yes, the diver is the closest ROO you can get, but be aware of the existing flaws. Close as it may be, I have learnt to spot the rep 10ft away on the wrist. ;) 

• 2 weeks later...

@positivitony, I have Diver V6 that I am extremely happy with. I have had clients with the Gen AP's compliment me on it on more than one occasion in the last couple of months. Keep in mind that these flaws are so minimal, that only the trained eye can see it, even when closely inspected. My friend who owns a Gen AP Safari had no idea. It's only the group of us that are on the rep forums that can tell. So assuming you are not around a group of educated rep buyers it's very hard to tell. I have spent hours, days, maybe even weeks over the last year or so on the rep sights reading, searching and more reading. You can make yourself crazy with all the details that 99.999% of people in the world would never be able to tell. Buy the watch, wear it for a few days and see what you think. My guess is that you will love it and probably not mod it all. If you don't like it, then sell it. Somebody on this site will snap it up quickly.

One last thing....  Keep in mind that Diver is a 15K to 20K watch. So to truly pull it off, you have to able to afford the gen or at least the people around you believe you can afford it.