When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Franken Richard Mille RM011 Help

positivitony

So I finally settled on a couple reps I'm going to buy. One of them is a Richard Mille RM011, and I'm going to modify the daylight out of it. I want an RG case model, but I HATE gold plating. I've always had terrible luck with gold plated jewelry. Could I bring the watch to a jeweler and have them build me a case from real 18K RG? Is that possible? I'm sure if it is, it'll cost an arm and a leg, but I'm prepared for that. Does anyone know if it's actually possible?

Im gonna teach a life lesson everything is possible as long as the Price is right ;) and you have enough money but this i dont Think so no watchsmith is gonna do that you might need to find a jeweller if it is

That's quite ambitious mate. I'd worry about the other tells first on the RM011. Date wheel font is a big one and since its a skeleton dial, you can't really replicate an RM movement. I know it's your taste, but with your willingness to spend a lot of money, I personally would build a vintage Rolex like a v72 powered 6263. 

So I finally settled on a couple reps I'm going to buy. One of them is a Richard Mille RM011, and I'm going to modify the daylight out of it. I want an RG case model, but I HATE gold plating. I've always had terrible luck with gold plated jewelry. Could I bring the watch to a jeweler and have them build me a case from real 18K RG? Is that possible? I'm sure if it is, it'll cost an arm and a leg, but I'm prepared for that. Does anyone know if it's actually possible?

Considering all aspects of your statement, I would say that it is not a cost efficient project for many reasons. 

a. The RG case cost would easily buy you a nice mid to high level gen watch. With the costs of customisation, design, and of course material, you might wish to rethink this.

b. You need a date overlay for the watch to look accurate for casual visual inspection. Frankly, skeleton dials have the advantage of looking messy and complicated, so unless a side by side scrutiny is done, one skeleton dial is as good as another if you do not know the intricate details. My point is: the rep dial is good enough.

c. I have zero knowledge on the RM movement, but I think you are someone who likes the looks of the RM watch on the wrist, rather than the engineering. So in this case, the rep movement could serve.

Looking at the 3 points raised above, why not spend effort to solve the most obvious tell, the datewheel font? Cost wise, this would be an infinitesimal percentage of customizing a real RG case for the watch?  

So I finally settled on a couple reps I'm going to buy. One of them is a Richard Mille RM011, and I'm going to modify the daylight out of it. I want an RG case model, but I HATE gold plating. I've always had terrible luck with gold plated jewelry. Could I bring the watch to a jeweler and have them build me a case from real 18K RG? Is that possible? I'm sure if it is, it'll cost an arm and a leg, but I'm prepared for that. Does anyone know if it's actually possible?

Providing you'll find someone able and with the willing to do that, it will still be a highly expensive REP. With such amount you can go for a gen Ap or Hublot or Rolex, full gold.

Why don't you just try a rg rep around 350$ and see how you feel with that and THEN decide with some more knowledge? :)

So I finally settled on a couple reps I'm going to buy. One of them is a Richard Mille RM011, and I'm going to modify the daylight out of it. I want an RG case model, but I HATE gold plating. I've always had terrible luck with gold plated jewelry. Could I bring the watch to a jeweler and have them build me a case from real 18K RG? Is that possible? I'm sure if it is, it'll cost an arm and a leg, but I'm prepared for that. Does anyone know if it's actually possible?

If your able to get a jeweler to make u a one of a kind case your able to buy a used gen one. Think about it.

Here is some study material for u type in richard mille maybe u can buy one in an upcoming auction.

http://catalog.antiquorum.com/catalog.html