When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Issues with trusted dealer, is this ok?

MasterOfPuppets

Just wanted to check with the members if the behavior of a certain dealer is alright.

Before sending him the payment, he told me that he had only one watch left in stock (for the model I asked for). So I asked him when he will have more stock, in case I didn't like the QC pics of the last piece he had, his reply was 4-5 days.

So I sent the payment, a week later and after sending many emails I received my QC pics, found a few flaws so I asked him for another one, his reply was that the new batch will arrive in 1-2 weeks!

When I reminded him that he told me 4-5 days, he simply replied "Those were Swiss ETA, if you want one you should pay $150 extra".

Isn't that something you should mention BEFORE I send you the payment? That the batch you're receiving ISN'T the the model I asked for?

And btw it has been 2 weeks, no reply for the email I sent him 2 days ago.

What do you guys think?

:evil2:

Always hard because its a system we dont know Much about TDs stock are hard since the makers might say They have and Then not have when They ask again

Im sure the TD didnt know it Would take that long

Its part of the rep game annoying but i life with it

If your not happy at all ask for a refund and find another TD :)

Best regards

I'm shocked by this behavior, this guy has many positive reviews on the forum and I don't know what's wrong with him!

I send him an email asking for an update, since it's been 2 weeks after he told me that "the new batch needs 1-2 weeks", and his reply was "Still waiting"???

Are you freakin' kidding me? That's how you reply to a customer who sent you his payment 3 weeks ago? A 2 word reply? How professional is that?

I'm not mentioning who he is cuz I just want my money back so I can go to a different dealer, so I just emailed him again (after getting no reply for my last email 2 days ago). I explained to him how unacceptable this type of communication is, and to kindly refund me the amount so we can put this behind us.

Let's see how it goes..

"professional"?

It's someone buying illegal goods that they could do time in jail for, who then sends them on to you.

Where do you think "professional" comes into it?

Most are "ethical" in that they won't intentionally completely rip you off and want to maintain their good business reputation, but they all work to the same kind of timeframes, and some of them are happy to trot out the usual rubbish excuses if they think you don't know how the rep game works. (including "stock" levels, and "extra for ETA movements" (which are a waste of money now))

If any dealer says they have "stock" take that with an extremely large pinch of salt. Only a few of the big TDs who have very good relations with the factories will have "stock", and even then it'll just be for new models that they know they can sell very easily, very quickly.

"professional"?

It's someone buying illegal goods that they could do time in jail for, who then sends them on to you.

Where do you think "professional" comes into it?

Most are "ethical" in that they won't intentionally completely rip you off and want to maintain their good business reputation, but they all work to the same kind of timeframes, and some of them are happy to trot out the usual rubbish excuses if they think you don't know how the rep game works. (including "stock" levels, and "extra for ETA movements" (which are a waste of money now))

If any dealer says they have "stock" take that with an extremely large pinch of salt. Only a few of the big TDs who have very good relations with the factories will have "stock", and even then it'll just be for new models that they know they can sell very easily, very quickly.

I said Professional because that's all I've been reading from this guy's reviews, I'm well aware of how "the rep game works", just surprised to see this kind of behavior coming from a "Trusted" Dealer.

Sure they can all screw up sometimes but they always step up and fix their issues, and that's why they deserve to be named Trusted.

They know how a few bad reviews can damage their reputation and businesses greatly, so I'm not sure what's wrong with this guy and why he's acting like this.

One of the best TD´s is "slow" and has very poor communication. Doesn´t matter if the reps are tops and the trust and reliability are there.

No need to update:

Monday: Was to the watch market, saw 2 samples of the watch U want, one had a bad rehaut, the other was difficult in winding;

Tuesday: Was to watch market, no news

Wed: Was to w m guy wasn´t there

Thu: Found another one, the dial was scratched... and so on

others are very fast in getting the Monday watch and telling You: it´s a rep .. go buy  a gen if You claim about the rehaut and they will never tell You that the crown is slipping or sticking... (from the second watch they will present very fast on Tuesday)

all the while the "reliable" guy is hunting for the good one another 10 days.

Just saying

• Like 1

I'm not complaining about the quality of reps at all, it's about telling me that the Rep will be available in 4-5, then turned into 1-2 weeks after I sent him my payment.

One more thing is not replying to my emails, I sent him one yesterday and 3 days ago, and nothing.

You can drive yourself nuts trying to get a refund, or chill out and wait for the stock to replenish.   We're dealing with China and cannot expect to be treated as if this were a local supplier.....   No matter how great the TD's reviews are.    Anything other than a perfect transaction seems to turn into a frustrating ordeal with most all of them..........

No. But if you focus on the results (having your watch or refund) then you should accept the status and wait or ask a refund without making him annoyed from your mails, that's it :)

Then, when all is sorted out you can choose to avoid that dealer in the future. What I'm trying to tell you is that in this business the very 1st and extremely important rule Is to have lot of patience and keep calm (always, even when you need a mod to help you for a REAL problem, which, in my view, this is not: none scammed you, he will not do and even if it bothers you to have your money given and have to wait longer: this is how this biz works. I've had money paid beginning of June and watches delivered end of August... And it's normal...).

Edited by GenTLe

That's exactly what i asked for, first an update since it's been 2 weeks since he told me it needed 2 weeks, then asked for a refund, no reply for any of them.

What kind of a dealer would get "Annoyed" from a paying customer? We pay then wait for his highness to do something, and not ask when things go wrong?

Regardless of ANYTHING, no dealer should ignore any customer, ESPECIALLY if he has his money.

No question You are right and it is like things should be.

The fact is that the best of the best imo have extremely poor communication.

And I came to believe it´s because they focus on their job, the quality etc. instead of sitting 24 hrs in fornt of the pc reading/writing mails.

So this is how it works? A dealer can promise one thing and never deliver, and I'm supposed to keep my mouth shut and not "bother him" about it?

Last 3 emails were completely ignored, payment was sent 3 weeks ago, are you guys telling me this is fine?

Nobody said it is "fine".   What I said is that it is what it is.   YES, they have your money.   Yes they "should" respond to your emails.   Reality, however, is different that expectations.   Dealing with these guys requires a different mindset.   You can work yourself up into a frenzy, or let it play out until you eventually get the watch.   It's up to you of course.......

I rarely buy from dealers, but I have found that they ALL operate in a different timeframe and mindset to us.

They do not give us 'status updates' if there has been no change, it's just not the way they do business in their part of the world. So when we get worried by the silence and ask, they then see that as nagging them and we are then a pest (to them).

It's the same with whoever they are dealing with, they'll ask someone for something and then wait. They won't chase for updates (regarded as rude), they just will get on with other things until it arrives.

But obviously for this to work they have trust and honour in each other.

Just the way they have done business for thousands of years.

Seems alien to westerners, but you learn there's no alternative, and the better dealers do try to operate in a western way (sometimes).

I rarely buy from dealers, but I have found that they ALL operate in a different timeframe and mindset to us.

They do not give us 'status updates' if there has been no change, it's just not the way they do business in their part of the world. So when we get worried by the silence and ask, they then see that as nagging them and we are then a pest (to them).

It's the same with whoever they are dealing with, they'll ask someone for something and then wait. They won't chase for updates (regarded as rude), they just will get on with other things until it arrives.

But obviously for this to work they have trust and honour in each other.

Just the way they have done business for thousands of years.

Seems alien to westerners, but you learn there's no alternative, and the better dealers do try to operate in a western way (sometimes).

I get what you're saying, if there are no updates sure why nag and just wait.

But what if the promised delivery hasn't been met? When they tell you the rep will be there in 1-2 weeks (after giving them their payment), and 2 weeks pass? We can't ask for an update?

And even if there are no updates, ignore the emails?

This is just ridiculous and very rude

I learned a long time ago to expect nothing. I got just about as frustrated as you after waiting 4 weeks with my money sent long ago. Eventually the watch got here but the service was the worst, and from a highly regarded TD. You never know whats going on over there, things can change overnight. The last thing on their mind is customer service, actually I don't think they know what that is. But, the one thing they do know is that if they screw you, it will hurt their business in the long run. Hopefully things will work out and unfortunately for them, you will go to a different TD next time.