When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

My Noob V3 Franken Journey

sacsah1

All,
As most of you know, I have a franken bp submariner with bunch of gen parts but due to the bp case, it looks nothing like gen. Well I was lucky enough to find a noob v3 case with perfect rehaut. After acquiring the case, I was able to find y3135 movement from Mikiesped and also bought a gen date disc and gen hands from him. Mikiesped has been an instrumental help through out the way but unfortunately the noob v3 case cannot be used with y3135 movement. The crown stem height doesnt aline properly.
After getting my heartbroken, I asked Mikiesped to somehow find a way to fit this movement in this case so I can use gen hands and date disc. Well he recommended that we involve dbane883 in the project. Initially dbane883 recommended that I shouldnt go this route due to the cost involved in modifying the case. But after a little bit of convincing he was able to help me with this project. The case needs a lot of work and it is not going to be easy or cheap. But dbane883 has been simply great so far and I have no doubt that he is going to be able to accomplish our objective here.

This is what the watch looked like with the BP case and all the gen parts.

P1050010.jpg
P1050009.jpg

Now the journey begins,

Packaged shipped to dbane883 with movement and case
1146be6b71efb0abf3c204f6dbb9f19a.jpg

all disassembled
115583cfaf1a44b0be0311bba13f1d9e.jpg

These crown guards are going to require a lot of work to be symmetrical and to accommodate the higher crown position
d49c7716d88ef093b5ee1344d82deb04.jpg

7ef9f82c1c3622aed9db9b3eb18b1d36.jpg

This is going to take a long time to get done but I dont mind the wait as long as its done right. I will keep you all posted.

Thank you Misiekped and dbane883 for all your help!

Once again, I cant thank dbane883 enough for all his efforts so far. He simply rocks!!

These are all notes from dbane883, "Mismatched lug widths of noob. One side is fine. Other side is way wide ():"

NOOB CGs.

132308b17191fe8617e63d3c4ae11d91.jpg

caec405f4e0ad30064253e5fd8fb0dde.jpg

GEN CGs (even they are not 100% symmetrical

GenCG.jpg

GenCG2.jpg

"Case thickness of noob is about bang on with gen:"

Gen
ab50ccff943d8361c657d695988a62a1.jpg

Noob
a7f545fbbb72d96b9874596959c73a78.jpg

"Lugs. Gen lugs have a slightly larger radius to the taper. Noob on bottom. Gives illusion the case is fatter (thicker/taller) than gen:"
4ee2139c0d33460f3e301d45e2d07e3c.jpg

"Noob tube is about 2.8mm from top of case. Upon measuring the Yuki and comparing with a 2836, it would seem that moving the tube up about 0.6mm is about right. Next stage is the welding."
f5a9538912f603bc859d2de99baeb290-1.jpg

Not all j12's bud as I'm looking at mine now and it's the same as the pic. Can't wait to see the finished result though.

I was tempted to do the same project but using the latest sa3135 case that was released a few weeks ago. It has correct crown height and pretty decent cg's too.

It puzzles me why noob got the height correct on the latest v3 gmtc but wrong on the subc. A shame they don't use a 2824 then it would have worked.

I've not bought the latest 3135 model and like you say the rehaut is not always aligned on this model.

I've decided not to bother trying to build a Franken subc as the financial does not outway the aesthetics when finished.

Gens will be cheaper soon I think as the subc does not sell nearly as well as its predecessor!!!

I agree Paul - Zocker on RWI had a Franken Noob v3 up for 2500 Euro (gen bezel, insert, crystal, dial, hands, crown). Personally I'd rather save up for the gen.

Interesting that you think that Sub C prices will go down. If I could source a minter for less than £4K I'd snap one up in the blink of an eye. Maybe I should wait a while...?

They are now available everywhere new and I know a few dealers who are struggling to shift them. I struggled to sell mine but have sold 4 16610 models recently without any problems.

Some worry about the high cost of bezel replacement over the older model and not all like the big chunky clasp.

I will ask around for best price on one buddy!!!

Edited by watcher

They are now available everywhere new and I know a few dealers who are struggling to shift them. I struggled to sell mine but have sold 4 16610 models recently without any problems.

Some worry about the high cost of bezel replacement over the older model and not all like the big chunky clasp.

I will ask around for best price on one buddy!!!

Interesting. I hope you don't mind me asking, but where did you get your gen from? Best prices I found for brand/nearly new are Chrono24 or TZ UK, but I'm not totally cool with the idea of bank transfers to 'trusted dealers' in the E.U. on the former ;-(