When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Another scammer in our midst?

danielv2000

I have a gen 5513/5514 dial for sale. I was contacted by a member here to buy it. He is not a newb but he's been here less than a year and has some activity and some trades. He's based in the EU but accepted to pay actual shipping costs. We agreed on a bank wire payment and I forwarded him my info. He then said the bank would not process because I was missing a iBan number which is not used in Canada. I sent him my PP info and agreed on a PP gift payment.

He's gone AWOL. I won't flame him publicly just yet because he has not logged in since I sent him my info. I don't think he had buyers remorse. He now has my bank info, mailing address and PayPal Id.

Luckily the bank account and PP were in no way linked. I have since closed the bank account, advised my bank and suspended my PP account which was empty anyways.

Lesson learned. Trust your gut. I had a doubt about him and almost completed a separate deal but bad timing made that fall apart. I did a lot of searching on this person because it rang a bell. After I closed my bank account. I stumbled upon a PM he had sent me in the past for a case I was selling. He had requested my bank info but at that point, he was a brand new member. That's when I realized why his user name was familiar. At that time he told me he was UK based. This time, Italy based.

Trust your gut guys. I just wasted 2 hours this week protecting myself.

Anyone want to buy a dial?

I keep a separate bank account strictly for receiving wires.  

But even with your bank account info and your PP email, what could he do with that?

Log into your PP (by asking PP to reset the password using your banking credentials) and start transferring funds from your bank and send it to his own PP account?

Sorry to hear, but that needs a naming. Keeping his name private may be the gentlemanly thing to do, but it also puts others at risk from similar transactions because they do not know who to avoid... If the member is indeed kosher and has legitimate reasons, they will be able to vindicate themself and no one will hold it against them, but as before, if no one knows who they are and they are a scammer... forum protection only works if we know who we're being protected from...

I hope you can get everything resolved... :good::drinks:

I keep a separate bank account strictly for receiving wires.  

But even with your bank account info and your PP email, what could he do with that?

Log into your PP (by asking PP to reset the password using your banking credentials) and start transferring funds from your bank and send it to his own PP account?

Can you really do this?? I hope they'd need more than just some banking info to reset your password. Also, you'd be sent an email notification, so you'd know if anyone was trying to 'hax' into your account.

iBan is not used in Canada. We use a Swift code which I did provide to him.

I am not sure what he can do. He can try to hack into my PP account hoping it was linked to my bank account which it's not. Either way, PP has been such a pain for me these days that if they dared have a security breach after all the headaches they have given me, I think I would sue!

The only thing he can do is use my identity for bad stuff! Like I said, he has not logged in since I last provided my PP info. I have already advised Mike on a Bike. I check his profile every day several times a day. When he does log in, he will see my PMs. If he chooses to ignore me, I will out him. As long as he does not log in, he cannot scam anyone.

More to come, I am sure.

iBan is not used in Canada. We use a Swift code which I did provide to him.

I am not sure what he can do. He can try to hack into my PP account hoping it was linked to my bank account which it's not. Either way, PP has been such a pain for me these days that if they dared have a security breach after all the headaches they have given me, I think I would sue!

The only thing he can do is use my identity for bad stuff! Like I said, he has not logged in since I last provided my PP info. I have already advised Mike on a Bike. I check his profile every day several times a day. When he does log in, he will see my PMs. If he chooses to ignore me, I will out him. As long as he does not log in, he cannot scam anyone.

More to come, I am sure.

Daniel,

He may have already read your PM as he received an email notification with the content of your message.

Daniel,

He may have already read your PM as he received an email notification with the content of your message.

True. So it might be better just to say his name, in case he still tries to 'get' someone else. He may have more than 1 login account / username anyways. Hopefully it is all just a misunderstanding.

Dave...

Italy based :g:. Name?

Not me guys, just to avoid misunderstanding:)

Anyway with on line bank transfer forms it is sometimes a pita to make international transfers.

I.e. my bank always asks for 3 things on the form: beneficiary, swifth (8 characters one) and Iban. Without these details you can't really move on there. Maybe using the phone call system you can (never tried) but still a pita :)

Sorry to hear your having problems with this guy D but I for one would appreciate knowing his username mate  ;)  I know here the banks use IBAN as transferring money back here when I was in Oz was a royal pita, he shouldn't be able to do much with your details but I think I'd have done the same and shut em down, please let us know how this pans out.......and if we can help in any way too  :)

Guys the Colonel is aware and will keep an eye on him over there, Nanuq and I are persuing some other possible leads. I would think if this is a misunderstanding he would come on and clear himself, you guys know you can read this section without signing in. ;)

PS at this point I will not name names as this could just be buyers remorse or lack of funds, my standards of burden of proof are high this protects you as well. I do not go off banning and nameing here without considerable deliberation and yes sometimes we get burnt , please read my sig. below.           

PSS Money we can make freedom is priceless.

Thanks for the support guys. I too am hesitant about naming him as there has been no loss on my side.

I did send another PM informing him that I contacted the mods here, advised the bank to be on the lookout and advised PP as well. I will see if he responds to that new PM.

It's amazing what a good reputation on these boards will get you. In the last 2 weeks I have sent several thousands to one member and received several thousands from another. Both well established and trusted members. Someone like the unnamed "buyer" will never be able to complete deals like this because of this type of behavior.

You change your mind, that's fine. Man up or blame the wife, something. Just say, "sorry, i decided to pass." Disappearing makes me suggest something more was behind this...