When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Which directly swap swiss movement would you recommend for the AP Diver ?

CLA82

There are several options.
First the high beat options that are not correct beat wise. (AP movement is 21000, these are all 28800).

1. ETA 2824-2 Expensive but the best option.

2. Seagull ST 2130  Very good alternative, less than half the price of the 2824.

Low beat options

1. ETA 2824 modified to slow beat.

2.  ETA 2846 (Slow beat movement, however these are all old movements, and will definitely need a service).

3. Powermatic 80 (Slow beat built by ETA for Tissot) also a great alternative, but pretty much unavailable as a movement, so have to buy a donor watch, which will probably set you back as much as the AP V5 cost.

There may be more, these are all that I'm familiar with.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

I had the Seagull installed in mine, brand new also serviced and regulated. Deviation is only 2+ seconds a day. I put the watch crown up for the night and it goes back 2-. So it keeps perfect time. The movement was $90.

It's really a no brainer, and it is as accurate as the gen.

Edited by lfovco

If you are looking for a really bulletproof slow beat movement to put in a "keeper" watch, I would recommend the Powermatic 80. If  you just want a bulletproof movement and don't care if it's  slow beat, Then either an ETA 2824 or a Seagull ST2130 would be your best bet. The second choice for a slow beat would be a serviced 2846. Some folks have converted the 2824 to a slow beat by substituting parts from a 2846 into the 2824. I have had two of these, one we could never get to work properly, and the second did after it was redone by a very good watchmaker.

And yes, you are correct, I would never pay a premium for an ETA movement today. Better to get the cheapest movement you can get and plan on changing it for something known.

The second choice for a slow beat would be a serviced 2846. Some folks have converted the 2824 to a slow beat by substituting parts from a 2846 into the 2824. I have had two of these, one we could never get to work properly,

Yes I've heard these can develop quite the problems over time....

• 6 months later...

I have a Seagull in my FC V3, and while it's not a slow beat, it has been a very reliable and accurate movement. Almost two years and it works like a charm. Only problem is they are hard to find here in the USA. I bought mine on EBay from a seller in Portugal. I contacted them later last year to purchase another movement, and they told me they no longer carried them, as Seagull had raised the prices quite a bit.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Tissot powermatic 80: correct low beat movement with 80hrs power reserve. :)

Sent from Mars using tapatalk

This, imho, is the ONLY movement for the watch outside of gen. The Powermatic 80 is a true COSC movement that honestly keeps time as close to a Rolex 3135 or AP 3120 as you're going to get.

• Like 1