When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

We are paying too much for our reps!

sputim

Did some research on watchbus.net a chinese forum and stumbled upon some interesting facts. For instance the new omega seamaster 300 they charge 4999 twd which is around 157usd!! Now compare this with what we pay! An other example is the rolex noob 116610 with sa3135 which is about 3000twd cheaper (around 100usd). So it is pretty obvious to me that we just pay a significant higher price. Obviously all the dealears adapt their prices like a cartel and nobody is selling much below the going rate of all the english pages we buy our watches from. As you all know prices are increasing steadily and this upwards spiral won't stop as long as we are ready to drop 500usd + on reps. Take a look at the pictures and do some research on your own ;)

Cheers

post-50919-0-32027700-1421159734_thumb.p

post-50919-0-78217300-1421159736_thumb.p

Guest baleinedessable

Not a big surprise, they sure make a big profit on each one sold... But we still buy GREAT pieces at 1/10e of their gen prices... And I think we surely overpay the genuine too, maybe in a larger proportion... Think about some gen Panerai's....With a "house caliber" lol

Not a big surprise, they sure make a big profit on each one sold... But we still buy GREAT pieces at 1/10e of their gen prices... And I think we surely overpay the genuine too, maybe in a larger proportion... Think about some gen Panerai's....With a "house caliber" lol

Definitely true and gens are extrememy overpaid. Moreover, as long as the quality is so good as some reps are I don't mind paying a topup but what I want to say is that the prices are increasing pretty quickly and they won't stop until they sell less. Obviously that is how the market works and they can supply what we demand so in the end we can't blame them for this ;) Nevertheless, some new watches are priced too high in my opinion.

Nevertheless, some new watches are priced too high in my opinion.

Definitively. Asian eta based watches, simply time / date ones with steel cases shouldn't be at all paid more than 300$. Simple watches like the latest Tudor Ranger Heritage (time only, no bezel etc) at 320+$ is a robbery...

Why don't we club together and buy a couple to see what they are like guys??

I'm in. But I don't know how to do :)

• Like 1

Try this guys prices

http://www.watch-station.co/

Already did :) He is Angus (PureT) too, so all is the same like on pure-time.com except:

1) prices - you need to ask them the quote, sometimes they are really good. i.e. on a watch which PT shows at 380$ over WS costed me 290$, another one PT 500$, WS 390$, and I mean the SAME watches :)

2) no guarantee if the watch arrives doa or get confiscated by customs (all the rest is the same: QC pics, run over timegrapher etc)

See here: http://www.rwgforum.net/topic/175597-3-new-ones-2-of-them-from-angus-very-satisfied/

In my view that solution is good if you are confident to be able to deal with the watch and fix it in case it has some problem (main reason I got 2x ETA 28xx ones and not a chrono).

Edited by GenTLe

I'm in. But I don't know how to do :)

Not sure on watchbus.net I'm finding it hard to navigate the site but I have been looking over on aliexpress, some great deals to be had, was thinking of trying a couple (links on other Rwg) what do you think?

http://www.aliexpress.com/store/product/AAA-Top-Quality-Wristwatch-Luxury-GMT-MASTER-II-116710-STAINLESS-STEEL-Mens-Mechanical-Automatic-Men/613206_1530557169.html

http://www.aliexpress.com/store/product/BOX-Luxury-Mens-Sport-New-Rare-Mens-Planet-Steel-Bezel-Orange-and-black-Perpetual-Mechanical-Dive/613206_1725749006.html

Just to see what we get delivered  ;)

As I´m in continental EU I always need the transhipping, otherwise nothing comes through, so there is no other way yet.

From what ppl have got from Aliex.. that I have seen it  was between excellent and crap so it ends adding up as well I think.

We just pay an extra-premium for the service of picking it up, maybe doing a pre-selection, qc-ing etc. (disregarding the fact I´d like that total different qc-service where the TD goes with a 4x lupe to pick up a good watch right from the start and not just any watch. When I get them it takes 1 minute to notice if generally all is fine or if there is something wrong, in another 4 I know what there is to know about it, that´s faster than taking pics etc.)

rep prices are just getting insane these days.

there was a time when i thought TC was expensive but for what you get and the recent prices make the TC seem cheap.

i was really looking fwd to the tudor ranger getting repped but theyre damn near $400 bucks with a asian Clone.

$400 was usually ETA pricing for older reps and the ranger is a pretty basic watch to rep.

really not sure why its so expensive. doesnt even come with a bracelet.

Not sure on watchbus.net I'm finding it hard to navigate the site but I have been looking over on aliexpress, some great deals to be had, was thinking of trying a couple (links on other Rwg) what do you think?

http://www.aliexpress.com/store/product/AAA-Top-Quality-Wristwatch-Luxury-GMT-MASTER-II-116710-STAINLESS-STEEL-Mens-Mechanical-Automatic-Men/613206_1530557169.html

http://www.aliexpress.com/store/product/BOX-Luxury-Mens-Sport-New-Rare-Mens-Planet-Steel-Bezel-Orange-and-black-Perpetual-Mechanical-Dive/613206_1725749006.html

What are customs like with these

I believe one factor here is the watches we are getting from the TD's are the top of the line rep watches. I'm not sure how many they sell, because the information is not public, but I'm sure they sell hundreds of times more "Canal Street" Quality reps. They can churn these out by the millions, no quality control, no feedback from "members" who are constantly pressing them for new models, better QC, and less mistakes, no worries about producing the latest and greatest models within hours of the genuine's  release. no need to buy a 25K watch and destroy it in duplication, they can make the quartz models from photos!!

If we were content to be satisfied with a first edition of a watch, and were willing to live with the mistakes, I'm sure the prices would be lower. However, we are constantly asking "When is the next version going to be released"? look at the AP Diver, released to the public in late 2010, early 2011 for instance, Not exactly sure when the first version  rep was produced, but over  just a few years we are up to version 7. Now I realize that these are not complete re designs, mainly "tweaks". True, but tweaks cost money and that is being passed on to us. Another factor is the economy of scale. Companies like Rolex that are slow between releases of new watches, and make evolutionary changes rather than revolutionary are the rep manufacturers friend, that coupled with the fact that it is a popular brand, known all over the world ensures that they will sell lots and lots of reps, especially the popular models. On the other hand you have companies like AP that seem to introduce a new model almost on a weekly basis. These are the rep manufacturers nightmare. Small company producing lots of models, certainly popular, but priced well beyond the means of the average guy. So the rep forum members are clamoring for every new AP that's introduced, and then when they get it, they are not happy and are looking for V2!! So the rep manufacturer faced with producing a watch that is one, very expensive in the genuine form, and thus may not appeal to folks who are uncomfortable wearing a rep of a 25K watch, and two a watch that is intricate with lots of parts, weird size straps and again lots of models. When they take all that into consideration and consider that these are not going to sell like a Rolex or Omega , the price has to be higher. If you calculate your final price from unit cost, it's pretty easy to see where a watch that is going to sell 5000 units will have less per unit cost over one that will only sell 500 units. This is not the cost of  material to build the watch, movements, etc. But the design and production costs to get it up and running. The manufacturer is going to add the cost of the sacrificial gen to the mix, say 25K for an AP ROO plus the design setting up the CAD/CAM  and actually the per unit cost of the components. If the dial manufacturer prices dials in lots of 500, say, they may decide that 500 is all that they can sell, whereas with a Rolex submariner, they may order 2000 dials. Because it's a bigger order, the manufacturer gets a better per dial cost. Economy of scale dictates that the more units of anything you produce, the less the cost per unit will be.    

Another thing that is probably being reflected in the higher prices are wages. It's common knowledge that wages are going up in China. I would imagine that the rep factories are competing with each other as well as electronics assemblers, phones, computers, TV's etc., for skilled workers. As wages increase, that increase is being passed on to the consumer, namely you and I.

This is just my probably grossly oversimplified rationale for the pricing of rep watches. What we have to appreciate is the fact that there are 200-300 USD versions of almost all reps out there, the big problem is as we grow more sophisticated in our tastes and demands, those will not do, simply because they don't meet the standards of most folks who are reasonably knowledgeable about watches.

Hey, let us know about the Quality and Upload some Pics when you recive your Watches!

I want to buy too some Watches from the Same Dealer. Wish you good Luck with them hope the best for you with the order ;)

Uhm, I already have both :D (my GMT is the Pro-Hunter but still...)

And I'm actually stopped with purchases because few days ago I got the bill of the building company that is refurbishing my house and I can declare I'm poor now... :(

Let us know what's coming from there :)

That ali- Website seems brilliant. Not only are the prices in the $100 range but also they often come with a box and shipping from Sing. is free. I´d try a few even in the $120/$130 range to check if the qual is better than at $88. But continental customs EU won´t allow anything get through, so only if they shipped to Uk first and that´s increasing time-frame and cost by a huge margin again.

That ali- Website seems brilliant. Not only are the prices in the $100 range but also they often come with a box and shipping from Sing. is free. I´d try a few even in the $120/$130 range to check if the qual is better than at $88. But continental customs EU won´t allow anything get through, so only if they shipped to Uk first and that´s increasing time-frame and cost by a huge margin again.

I'd be mainly worried by crappy 21j movements... That Pam 288 looks good anyway..

Gotta be worth a try just to see what we get, I haven't ordered as yet it's been a busy week for me but I will get a couple on the go just to see, hey if nothing else we will appreciate our 'expensive reps' even more afterward  :partytime:

• Like 1

Just ordered Explorer from aliexpress. Supposedly an auto movement and comes with box and papers for $88. We'll see what shows up

http://www.aliexpress.com/store/product/BRAND-luxury-Men-s-2012-Large-216570-PERPETUAL-DATE-EXPLORER-II-MENS-STAINLESS-STEEL-WATCH-case/613206_628631643.html

I will do a photo shoot and review once it arrives.