When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Qusition about AR

T222

Hi there.

I have 2 Panerai Ferrari 008  watches, and I like them very much. :)

Well, there is one thing I dont like. The "blue" AR treatment on the crystal. It makes the Dial look "dark".

Can someone please help me with a with a few quistions:

1. Is the "blue" AR treatment on the inside or outside of the crystal?

2. Can I get the AR of?

3. Does anyone have on of these Panerai's without the AR treatment? (pictures please)

4. Is there a place in EU, where I can get the crystal AR treated (color less of course)  ;)

Thanks for your time ...  

PCrki.jpg

The AR treatment can be both on the inside and outside (Double AR Coated) and yes you can remove it.

Look carefully with an eye loop to see if it is inside or out, there should be tell tale signs.

One thing I would say is that once you remove the AR coating the watch can look rather like, well a bad rep!

I have a batch being double AR coated as SSTeel and I offer a crystal removal, AR coating and replacement service. Take a look at my Hublot as it is really excellent.

Regards

AJ

post-48021-0-79032300-1424800929_thumb.j

post-48021-0-15707800-1424800944_thumb.j

Thanks for your reply AJ.  :)

Your Hublot looks great. Is it double coated color less AR ?

Just to get you right ... Do you do the AR coating, or do you have a contact that does it?

What do you mean by "replacement service"?

Do you have some prices? You can PM to me, if you dont want to spread the hole thing here ... ;)

Best regards

You can remove AR coating with red Scotchbrite and elbow grease. I much prefer the appearance of an AR'ed crystal, both as reflectivity reduction and the effect it has on the dial's look. If your original coating gets scratched, it can be replaced, but it's not easy to find someone who's available to do it (most crystals have to be coated in multi-piece runs).

When I say replacement I mean that Micky takes the watch, carefully removes the crystal and sends them to me in batches.

I have a friendly AR coating guy who runs a large AR Coating business and he does the AR coating, I receive them back, send to Micky who carefull reinstalls the crystals and returns to the owners.

Please email SSTeel for prices as he does the majority of the work.

Yes my Hublot is indeed Double AR Coated in clear although in certain lights there is sometimes a slight gold hue however you really need to be looking hard for it :-)

As for AR removal, I use a car compound abbrasive polish.

AJ

Again, thanks!

Micky = SSteel, right?

I would love to have a slight gold hue in my Crystal, compared to the cold blue one it has now! ;)

This Micky / SSteel, does he live in EU?

Cheers

Correct one and the same!

Micky is a superb modder and has done loads of watches for me and many, many others. He is based in Finland and I am in teh UK. Micky can pretty much get most mods done and can also get lume work done as well as AR!

Just dig out him here and PM him. I know we are about to get the next batch of ten AR's crystals sent in.

Regards

AJ