When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Navitimer 01

rionrlty

He guys, I need some advice on a problem I'm having.

About 6 months ago I bought a new Navitimer 01 from puretime.  The purchase was a pleasant experience and I love the watch.

It was advertised as having an A7750, which for some reason needed to be a slow beat version at 21,600 bph, instead of the normal 28,800 bph.  This didn't concern me at the time as I have had many watches with slower beats that performed great.  

The watch performs great most of the time, keeping accurate time with good reserve, sometimes for as long as 2 or 3 days at a stretch.  But then without warning and over a very brief period, sometimes less than an hour, it will gain up to 6 or 7 minutes.  Once reset it may keep accurate time for only a few hours or as much as 2 days or more.  This happens whether I wear it or put it on a winder.  My watch repair guy cannot determine why, but he has captured the anomaly on a timegrapher

First of all does anyone know exactly why this watch had to be produced with the slow beat movement? 

Secondly, has anyone else had this problem or know what is causing it?  Can a slow beat movement be upgraded to fast beat by changing the balance and escapement?

Thanks guys, it sounds like the balance and spring need to be replaced or cleaned.  I have a spare A7750 movement that I kept for parts, but it has the old subdial spacing.  It is also a high beat so I wonder if the balance and spring will work in this movement. Thanks for the response guys I value your advice.  I've written to Angus at Puretime where I bought the watch, but it is Chinese New Year there, so I won't hear back for while yet.  I really want to get this one working right.

Which parts are actually different between the 28,000bph and 21,600bph movements?  I'm just curious.  Has anyone determined exactly why they used this movement or if they changed to a high beat movement later in production?  It would be worth it if I could source a new movement.

Rolexman, you don't have a spare ETA 7753 laying around do you? 

Yeah, I had heard they eventually put in the fast beat movement.  I was so impatient that I ordered the slow beat version when they first came out.  I don't know how many factories made this, but I have personally seen two different case shapes on the Navitimer 01 (the one with the gold wings at 12).  The one I got is very accurate to the gen, but on the other one I saw the lugs were wrong.  The bevel on the outside of the lugs was not pronounce enough.  This was also a mistake on the old Navitimer rep (date at 3)., but they've just come out with new one (date at 4:30) which seems very accurate in case shape.  I wonder why this is so hard to get right.