When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

A Comparison Between The Current North Pole Gmt And The Upcoming North Pole Gmt

PureTime

Got a sample PAM252 North Pole GMT from the watch maker, took 2 pics and here is the comparison, please feel free to let me know any changes should be applied on the upcoming ones so I can let the watch maker know.

Here is the gen pic:

171487-9486.jpg171487-9487.jpg

1. Front comparison, upper one shows the current version, it has a shiny blue dial, sapphire crystal without AR, incorrect GMT hand (bigger triangle) and incorrect cyclops size and incorrect magnifying power. Besides, the squares and letters on bezel are quite high and there are only 12 clicks on the bezel, don't know if they should be in this way, please advice.

For the lower one, the upcoming version from another watch maker, has a non-shiny dark blue dial (near black), sappire crystal with heavy AR, correct GMT hand size (thanks Finepics for the dimensions) correct cyclop size (smaller) and correct magnifying power. Still unsure about the dial colour and the bezel letters, 60 clicks bezel. Any suggests will be appreciated.

171487-9488.jpg

171487-9489.jpg

2. Caseback comparison, upper one shows the current version, the maker of the current version seems reversed the continent (should be brushed) and ocean (should be polished) areas :g:

The current version caseback does not have a serial number engraved as well (IXXX/500), please kindly send me an e-mail if you find any mistake on the upcoming version (lower one) so I can tell the watch maker to correct it.

171487-9490.jpg

171487-9491.jpg

I know very little about this model, but the arrow on the GMT hand (blue dial only) appears to be rather large. It looks promising though - the case back is a nice touch, although if the gen hasn't been released yet, nitpicking is purely academic (the Panerai publicity shots usually have subtle differences to the production model).

That back is the best I've ever seen. Bravo! The dial looks the right color and the CG looks OK.

The mag, though, looks a little odd, even taking into acount how hard it is to photograph cyclops-equipped wateches--like they used 2 cyclopses (like the 222) or a severly curved lens to achieve the mag--I'd almost rather see them have a little less mag if the distortion is going to be that noticeable. After working on a couple cyclops projects now, I'm absolutely convinced OP uses aspheric sapphire lenses some of which are placed in pockets ground into the crystal--I've spoken to several lensmakers who surmise from pics that that's the only way to explain the combination of high mag and low distortion on the gens.

It's great to see a blue dial PAM, though! But WHY WHY WHY can't they get the A's in P-A-N-E-R-A-I right?!?!?!