When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

So I'm now banned from RWI too

SSTEEL

Thanks G, someone let me know the following was posted in response to your input.  Its absolute trash, and bullcrap, I have not ever been pm'd, or warned about such, edited posts maybe yes, but never warned that my posts had been edited.  In some cases my posts have been edited to look like I posted my email, but I NEVER post my email address within the forums due to spam bots.

Hi - thanks for you thoughts

We have been editing/removing his posts for months and each time he has received a warning, which he then disregards.
How much is too much?
If a member continues to break the rules what do you recommend that we do?
Yes, the timing is unfortunate, but he continued to break the rules by trying to solicit business even in the threads about his mother.
Again, how much is too much? 

Everybody, everywhere has history they wish they could undo. Stuff they hope the world doesn't uncover. All of us. Does that mean it's the end of the road? Does that mean we're forever stained with no hope of redemption?

No.

Every one of us has at some point secretly begged for a chance to start over again. We're all in the same boat. Nobody's better than anybody else. So what do we do with that?

We extend grace. We swallow and look the other way. Or we grab the guy's hand, look him in the eye and take his measure. There's unspoken communication there, and an understanding. I know... don't do it again. And across the table comes back the same gaze... "Yeah me too."

Mutual weakness relies on mutual honesty to build mutual trust. It's a flimsy fabric. But over time we keep looking each other in the eye and taking that measure. Some will rise to the challenge and others will fail.

That doesn't mean we don't extend grace and keep looking each other in the eye. That's what communities are for, and where life happens.

I sincerely hope I'm worthy of the trust people here place in me. And I hope each of you are worthy of the trust we've placed in you. There are no guarantees, but we can try to know each other and that's a pretty good place to start.

• Like 7

Everybody, everywhere has history they wish they could undo. Stuff they hope the world doesn't uncover. All of us. Does that mean it's the end of the road? Does that mean we're forever stained with no hope of redemption?

No.

+100000000000000000000000

They're strict as f*ck on RWI. Have a couple infractions myself for deleting my pictures a few weeks after a sale. Apparently you have to keep them up for three months <_<

I've found it's quite useless to try and argue as well.

Edited by Fracture

No.

Every one of us has at some point secretly begged for a chance to start over again. We're all in the same boat. Nobody's better than anybody else. So what do we do with that?

We extend grace. We swallow and look the other way. Or we grab the guy's hand, look him in the eye and take his measure. There's unspoken communication there, and an understanding. I know... don't do it again. And across the table comes back the same gaze... "Yeah me too."

Mutual weakness relies on mutual honesty to build mutual trust. It's a flimsy fabric. But over time we keep looking each other in the eye and taking that measure. Some will rise to the challenge and others will fail.

That doesn't mean we don't extend grace and keep looking each other in the eye. That's what communities are for, and where life happens.

I sincerely hope I'm worthy of the trust people here place in me. And I hope each of you are worthy of the trust we've placed in you. There are no guarantees, but we can try to know each other and that's a pretty good place to start.

well said and it's so true.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Fracture just so you know no deleting of pics here ever in a sales thread ( I may need them for future reference) and why would you waste the time anyway. :g:

As to subject at hand I think Nanuq has said it concisely and I will leave it at that.

Because they're hosted on my personal webspace and I need the space. The images are mine, and I don't believe keeping things online forever is a good choice if it's redundant. The internet is cluttered enough with terrabytes of useless stuff as it is. If the sale went through without problems and the buyer has no complaints after two weeks, that's that for me.

Could not agree more with Nanuq's post.  Life is really about the relationships with others, whether that is at home, on the road or in a community forum like this.  

Different flavor on some of the other boards.  While I try and spend time on the other boards, there does seem to be more tension and drama and more of a black and white/right and wrong paradigm.

I love this hobby because of the peace and enjoyment I find from it.  Part of that process is the connections that are made with other members.  I find that peace and those connections here.

You are in good hands here Micky. 

Not to go off subject here but just put in your computer and download here (as I do ) no filling up your site. Your sale went threw no problem fine but I am sure you see guys selling to another w/ link to prior sales thread right well then there is a problem so now I can look back. This is non negotiable sorry mate.

I like the fact that, here, sales photos should remain permanently visible. If only because I can check the thread 6 or even 12 months later should I decide to sell the watch. I can then see what I originally paid for it.

Anyway, it's horses for courses, or in some cases like RWI more like donkeys!

Still the good news is that soon we will have SSTEEL all to ourselves! :D

Not to go off subject here but just put in your computer and download here (as I do ) no filling up your site. Your sale went threw no problem fine but I am sure you see guys selling to another w/ link to prior sales thread right well then there is a problem so now I can look back. This is non negotiable sorry mate.

I bought a DW Daytona about 5 years ago from a member on this forum. One of my first reps. The sales thread said it had lots of gen parts, including crystal, pushers, crown and maybe more. I came back about 6 months later when I was more into the actual intricacies of reps and couldn't find the sale thread anywhere. By then I wasn't sure what was gen and what wasn't. still not sure about the pushers.

It would have been immensely helpful if the thread and pictures were still available. I imagine it went bye-bye in a hard drive crash or something but I strongly agree that if you sell a watch there should be a paper trail left for at least a year.

Well this is sad yet disturbing.   But I guess there are lots of issues with shoddy work from less-than-competant modders via PM's and what not.   For noobs, it can be tough to navigate who can be trusted and who can't, so holistically, I see the challenge for rep forum administrators.  

Not to work Mikey.. your reputation speaks for itself and those seeking quality work will find you.

• Like 1

I bought a DW Daytona about 5 years ago from a member on this forum. One of my first reps. The sales thread said it had lots of gen parts, including crystal, pushers, crown and maybe more. I came back about 6 months later when I was more into the actual intricacies of reps and couldn't find the sale thread anywhere. By then I wasn't sure what was gen and what wasn't. still not sure about the pushers.

It would have been immensely helpful if the thread and pictures were still available. I imagine it went bye-bye in a hard drive crash or something but I strongly agree that if you sell a watch there should be a paper trail left for at least a year.

That should be your respobsibility imo. These are still used sales. I sell on a few websites for used goods and there is not a single one that requires for your ad to be still there when you sell something.

I save all pictures and information from my used purchases, here and elsewhere. It's not that hard to do. Of course, it's easier to do nothing and just cross your fingers that the thread is still there or the board hasn't crashed.

That should be your respobsibility imo. These are still used sales. I sell on a few websites for used goods and there is not a single one that requires for your ad to be still there when you sell something.

I save all pictures and information from my used purchases, here and elsewhere. It's not that hard to do. Of course, it's easier to do nothing and just cross your fingers that the thread is still there or the board hasn't crashed.

Your opinion is duly noted and filed away in the I don't give a crap file. If you don't agree with the forum rules, that's your prerogative. 

I still maintain it's a good and fair rule and was just showing an example of how it could have helped someone.

Problem is if you buy and sell a fair number of watches, it's pretty darn difficult to remember all the little nuances of every sale. It's nice to be able to go back and review the thread later. Another factor, it's a useful research tool for folks who are looking for a particular model. looking back gives you a feel for the price range, what mods are popular and what they add pricewise to the watch. I realize that if you use free photo hosting services sometimes they delete photos after a time, or possibly people delete them to save on photo hosting costs. Personally, I don't like sites like Photobucket, I only use them on sites that won't allow direct downloads from my computer, like RWI. I believe that one problem is they compress the photos too much and there is a lot of image degradation. I'm very happy that this forum allows you to download directly from your photo files. I'm also very comfortable with leaving photos up on the website. Lastly, It's sometimes a good selling tool, I have had folks email me 2-3 years out asking if I still have a dial, strap, crystal or sometimes a watch. In most cases it's long gone, but I may have something similar that they could use. None of this is possible if you take down the sales thread as soon as the watch is sold. 

So now we are heading off on tangent, away from the original thread. Mickey, Very sorry about you being banned over there. Their loss Our gain!! Probably one of the big differences between private forums and public are the attitudes of the folks in charge. While I am certainly not and advocate of a "no holds barred, wild, wild west" atmosphere, a certain degree of latitude is always appreciated. Of course all of this is determined by the moderators. If you appoint someone as a moderator and they are the type who get's their energy from "power trips" in your face moderation and a very caustic demeanor, over time they will run off more people than they gain, and usually the folks that leave are the ones with the most knowledge and the biggest contributors. After all, it stands to reason if you never post, you are never going to be banned!! 

• Like 1

Very valid points panerai153, I'll admit that.

I can't say I notice a decline in population on RWI though, on the contrary.

Honestly, you probably won't see a decline. there are a lot of guys there who will stay around for a long time. As long as they don't incur the wrath of the admin's. there is no reason to believe that anything will happen to them. I do go over there, as their AP section is by far the most active of the rep forums. They also have a very active sales section. However they do have a fair number of guys who are not so knowledgeable. The sales threads are sometimes almost amusing. When you list a Rolex 16610 as a Super Franken", which consists of a "genuine" ETA movement, gen insert and maybe a gen crown, that's oversell at it's max.

• Like 2

You know what hurts the most in all this drama?  Guys who were once quite good friends online, exchanging many pm's talking about life, and things in life we related to etc, only to find out they too are joining the ranks of the trolls that throw mud.  Just learnt a good friend stateside has succumb to believing all the crap that has been said about me, and is now even preaching to others about my bad ways etc.  That hurts the most, especially when you once held them in high regard :(

• Like 1