When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Daytona (build)

cambridgerwg

Hi guys,

I've always been a sub fan but recently I am getting more and more interested in daytona's!

Now here's the 'dilemma'. I like reps and gens, but have a thing for wearing reps that I could also afford in gen form. (Not saying I can easily afford a daytona, but atm I could)

- Vintage (DW/Modded) daytona's seem to be the closest to gen without breaking the bank, BUT the gen version of those are $ 30K and upwards easily.

- 16520 el primero's are 4-5K (franken) but at that price they are getting closer to the cost of a gen, and I don't know how much I love the daytona (compared to my love for subs) to dish out 4-5K for a franken.

- 116520 seems to be off compared to gen. I've read a 116520 JF Factory review with OP being incredibly enthusiastic but in a later response he compared it to the gen and it was off by miles in terms of feel/finish.

Is there an in between route? An accurate modern daytona rep, or a vintage rep where the gen isn't $30-50K or maybe a semi-franken 16520? That would be an easier step to get to know the daytona and decide how to go from there.

Thanks for your input 

Gen 16520's and 116520's have been coming down in price for a year or so now so it's not worth going down the franken 16520 route anymore.

Franken 62xx is the way to go. I have a franken 6265 with gen everything apart from case and movement (obviously movement is a V726) and all in it's cost me about $7000 or about 20-25% of the cost of gen which is a pleasing ratio and far better bang for buck than say spending $4000 on a  franken SubC that a gen of would be $6000.

• Like 1

No prob. Looks good. How's the dial, sel fit and movement holding up? And where did you do the mods? 

I do my self all mods. Dial is just perfect. I dont find any difference. Dial was built so nice quite long ago in reps, noob. bp. 

Sel fitment is nice and I would say the lug shape and its sharpness is so great. I serviced movt and keeps very good time and it has 48hr reserve time. This time A7750(6sec) is quite nice. the gears [censored] its power to the secodn hands with no problem if you jewelrs it nice and service the whole parts when you get it. 

• 5 months later...

6bf39bf2ef77ebdf3ecbdb4a0e2894bd.jpg

I'm looking to do the same thing @Ephry73

I love the look of this I just purchased a black dialed JF yesterday

However then I seen that Angus just posted these in

http://www.puretime.watch/product/daytona-jf-11-best-edition-black-ceramic-bezel-silver-dial-on-ss-bracelet-a7750/

I really like the look and touch to the dial mash up of both worlds, I think this one with a bakelite bezel on it would look awesome

Sent from my !Phone using Tapatalk

I'm looking to build something like this with a black dial. I love the bakelite bezels. Call me crazy. Hate to resurrect, but looking for sources. If the JF case can be modified, where can one source a decent dial and plexi bezel for this build? 

16520%20dream%20build_zpso6n3dv8u.jpg

Where do you find this bezel from?

The pic I posted is of a gen watch. I think phong is selling the bezels. From the part number it looks like the mkii 6263 bezels are the trick?

6bf39bf2ef77ebdf3ecbdb4a0e2894bd.jpg

I'm looking to do the same thing @Ephry73

I love the look of this I just purchased a black dialed JF yesterday

However then I seen that Angus just posted these in

http://www.puretime.watch/product/daytona-jf-11-best-edition-black-ceramic-bezel-silver-dial-on-ss-bracelet-a7750/

I really like the look and touch to the dial mash up of both worlds, I think this one with a bakelite bezel on it would look awesome

Sent from my !Phone using Tapatalk

I hear you. Not the same though. There is just such a subtle touch in the different material combinations with the 16520