When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

AP v7 vs. v8 (wit a little FC thrown in for fun)

swdivad

Hi Guys...

I'm on the edge of buying another AP, been moving away from Panerai slowly... I think the novelty has worn off after about ten years of almost complete Panerai exclusivity...

I have a FC Diver and wear it often... I really love it even though it's the earlier version with the very slightly micro-off-white hand... not quite sure what version it is.but it's nice to me

I was about to get a 44 FC as the price is really great, although I'm a bit leery with the movement and also that watch is too rich for my style; I'm just not a $30k watch guy no matter how I slice it LOL

Anyway, there seems to be no hate so far for the new v8 SS Diver; is this the case? Are there any glaring issues brought out or not fixed with the new version I should be watching out for?

I would probably get the SS bracelet as well, are there any issues on this? It seems really well done.

Is it true that the only difference with the watch is the addition of the decorated Miyota movement and optional display back?

One other question that's probably a simple one for the knowledgeable... Why don't they use a low beat Seagull or Miyota movement in these divers since the next mod for accuracy would be to drop a Powermatic 80 in?

I agree with Mike, Legend is the guy who can give you the "skinny" on those two. From what I've read, the V8 is essentially a V7 with the decorated movement and open case back. If it were me, I would opt for the V7 and replace the movement with a Powermatic 80. That is a terrific watch and a really good movement. I have never been a fan of dive watches with open case backs. Hopefully Legend will weigh in here and give you his take on the differences.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Ah my friends, @Mike on a bike and @panerai153, I did not see this post, and honestly, I do not consider myself an expert. What A has mentioned is the same I feel.

@swdivad The V8 is essentially the V7 with open caseback and decorated movement. It is a nice watch but like panerai153 said, I am not in favor of wearing divers with open casebacks. It detracts in my opinion, from the overall sportiness of the watch. Its like a supposedly rugged diver wanting to be a coffee-table discussion watch. I would go for the V7 in this case, but its just a personal preference like I said. The v8 is not better or worse than the v7, but it is a tad more pretentious. A classic flaw on all JF divers is the wrong date font. On their ROO reps, the date font is uglier than a three legged hunchback dwarf. The Miyota movement is a reasonable and functional one, but the rotor could be a tad noisy at times. Also, the Miyota movement, unlike the A2824 one, cannot be converted to a low beat one. 

Coming to the FC 44 ROO, nobody is going to know or think that its a $30k watch unless they are into watches. What I mean that it has an understated appearance, and exudes a subtly elegant and sporty, and non-obstrusive aura when worn on the wrist. The beauty of the watch lies in the various ways it catches the light, the blend of the dial with the marbled forged carbon case, the little accents of red in the dial from the subdial hands, and the silvery black ceramic bezel. It is a very nice piece, and I would encourage you to get it. If you are already wearing the FC diver, then the FC44 is just a little bunny's hop away. You will grow comfortable with it, $30k or not. The movement, despite its notorious reputation, is not that bad actually. I still do own 1-2 sec@12 movement watches, and after a good service, I have not had a single one fail on me. In worst case, you can always send them to me in Singapore for the necessary upgrades like what my buddy panerai153 did.

Ah my friends, @Mike on a bike and @panerai153, I did not see this post, and honestly, I do not consider myself an expert. What A has mentioned is the same I feel.

@swdivad The V8 is essentially the V7 with open caseback and decorated movement. It is a nice watch but like panerai153 said, I am not in favor of wearing divers with open casebacks. It detracts in my opinion, from the overall sportiness of the watch. Its like a supposedly rugged diver wanting to be a coffee-table discussion watch. I would go for the V7 in this case, but its just a personal preference like I said. The v8 is not better or worse than the v7, but it is a tad more pretentious. A classic flaw on all JF divers is the wrong date font. On their ROO reps, the date font is uglier than a three legged hunchback dwarf. The Miyota movement is a reasonable and functional one, but the rotor could be a tad noisy at times. Also, the Miyota movement, unlike the A2824 one, cannot be converted to a low beat one. 

Coming to the FC 44 ROO, nobody is going to know or think that its a $30k watch unless they are into watches. What I mean that it has an understated appearance, and exudes a subtly elegant and sporty, and non-obstrusive aura when worn on the wrist. The beauty of the watch lies in the various ways it catches the light, the blend of the dial with the marbled forged carbon case, the little accents of red in the dial from the subdial hands, and the silvery black ceramic bezel. It is a very nice piece, and I would encourage you to get it. If you are already wearing the FC diver, then the FC44 is just a little bunny's hop away. You will grow comfortable with it, $30k or not. The movement, despite its notorious reputation, is not that bad actually. I still do own 1-2 sec@12 movement watches, and after a good service, I have not had a single one fail on me. In worst case, you can always send them to me in Singapore for the necessary upgrades like what my buddy panerai153 did.

Thanks all for your input, and Legend... your humble expertise is always welcome!

I'm torn about getting the 44 FC or the V8, the FC 44 really is beautiful!

The V8 is being offered with the solid case back as well. If I want to go low-beat, I think I'd source a proper movement.

Is there a date wheel replacement being offered for these, or even better, will a gen fit in?

Besides the low-beat conversion route, is there an alternative low-beat that would fit in? the Tissot PM80 are pretty pricey.

AFA the choice of low beat movements, the Powermatic 80 is the way to go. The other Alternative is a converted ETA 2824 movement using some 2846 parts. I haven't had good luck with these as the two I have had both have been very unreliable, sometimes gaining 30 minutes to and hour per day!! Both of them were put together by guys that were supposed to know what they were doing. I think that Legend would concur as he has had problems with these converted movements as well. Another factor is you are going to have to find a good ETA 2824, as well as the parts from a 2846, service and labor so may not be a cheap alternative in the long run.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

AFA the choice of low beat movements, the Powermatic 80 is the way to go. The other Alternative is a converted ETA 2824 movement using some 2846 parts. I haven't had good luck with these as the two I have had both have been very unreliable, sometimes gaining 30 minutes to and hour per day!! Both of them were put together by guys that were supposed to know what they were doing. I think that Legend would concur as he has had problems with these converted movements as well. Another factor is you are going to have to find a good ETA 2824, as well as the parts from a 2846, service and labor so may not be a cheap alternative in the long run.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

+1. If money is not a concern, the Powermatic80 is the way to go. Direct drop in and you got a reliable workhorse with the correct beat, and upgraded power reserve and reliability over the A2824, or arguably even the ETA2824. The issue with the ETA2846 conversion, from an owner point of view, is that if not done correctly, the movement can end up running like a breakaway horse, going ridiculously fast. I am not a technical guy, and spoke to my watchsmith about this briefly. He resolved the issue using additional jewels, though I have no idea where or how, and I would not pretend to be an expert and advise OP on this. I only know that improperly converted slow beat movements COULD present this issue (I have experienced it in 2 different converted divers), though the solution for this is also known. 

I own an ETA low beat diver now, converted using an ETA2824 main plate and ETA284x parts, and it runs beautifully, with about 60hrs power reserve using a new ETA main spring. The movement is 100% swiss, but a lot of labor and yes some dollars went into this project. 

You are right A: if you know what you are doing, the low beat conversion route could save some money. However, the P80 direct replacement route could be the better one in the long run, in terms of reliability and sustainability. I just do not know enough about movements to comment, and could only speak from the experience of an owner. ;) 

Thanks all for your input, and Legend... your humble expertise is always welcome!

I'm torn about getting the 44 FC or the V8, the FC 44 really is beautiful!

The V8 is being offered with the solid case back as well. If I want to go low-beat, I think I'd source a proper movement.

Is there a date wheel replacement being offered for these, or even better, will a gen fit in?

Besides the low-beat conversion route, is there an alternative low-beat that would fit in? the Tissot PM80 are pretty pricey.

Between the 2, I would definitely go for the 44 FC.. the v8 is a watch which has the look and capability of a daily beater. But the FC 44 is a watch you would keep glancing at, and sometimes, you may even do so to tell time. ;)

Try to get the noob 2824 datewheel, it would fit. If the P80 route is pricey to you, send the damn watch to me I will get the low beat conversion done for you brother. :lol: