When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

No pearl = No waterproof?

danielv2000

No it wouldn't affect that but the insert might come off in the water... The hole would allow the water to flow freely through it and by proxy I think that would create a vacum effect or reverse vacum effect actually. Not a proven thing but I've only ever had inserts come out in the water when they have no pearl.. The motion of swimming does it.. 

Edited by cc33

No it wouldn't affect that but the insert might come off in the water... The hole would allow the water to flow freely through it and by proxy I think that would create a vacum effect or reverse vacum effect actually. Not a proven thing but I've only ever had inserts come out in the water when they have no pearl.. The motion of swimming does it.. 

This definitely happens. A fluid running over an empty space creates a low pressure (aka a relative vacuum) in that space by an effect called the Venturi Effect. 

Might be worth plugging with something!

Definitely replace that pearl! It will let all the factory installed Betathetadithyllinium gas leak out if you delay. I think CrazySaleMan had a sale on it a year ago... might still have some?

Really guys?

I thought that the pearl should be replaced by unobtainium glue which counter effects and  neutralises any nastiness leaking out of the hole.  

This definitely happens. A fluid running over an empty space creates a low pressure (aka a relative vacuum) in that space by an effect called the Venturi Effect. 

Might be worth plugging with something!

Definitely replace that pearl! It will let all the factory installed Betathetadithyllinium gas leak out if you delay. I think CrazySaleMan had a sale on it a year ago... might still have some?

Really guys?

I thought that the pearl should be replaced by unobtainium glue which counter effects and  neutralises any nastiness leaking out of the hole.  

My gosh. I have a hard time distinguishing if you guys are being serious or just clowning around.

Nobody going to talk about the black hole effect on a watch with a missing pearl I reckon? Or list some mathematical formula to show why the pearl should be replaced ASAP?! :lol:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hmmmmmm an interesting approach to the situation. I suppose the salient variable then will be the diameter of the watch face. If the diminutive black hole is at the 12:00 position, then up to "n" times the dial radius will be the Event Horizon, "n" of course ranging from zero to 8 steradians, if we're to broach the 4th dimension and Solid Angles... after all "what happens inside the Event Horizon stays inside the Event Horizon...

....but then we get off into paradoxical information leakage and Hawking's Firewall and all bets are off.

How big did you say this dial is? Please tell me it's not 37mm (shudder)

Okay just to make Legend happy, here's a good reason to replace that pearl pronto:

cqg468303eqn31.gif

• Like 2

My bad for using the "=" sign in my topic.

I think the damage is done.  I was in the pool yesterday when I noticed the pearl was missing from my insert.  Looked okay when I stepped out of the pool.

Before going to bed, I looked again, and dial had water damage.  Thank God it's a rep.  Last summer, I flooded my gen GMT master after a defective crown popped out and unscrewed itself.

"I thought that the pearl should be replaced by unobtainium glue which counter effects and  neutralizes any nastiness leaking out of the hole."  

Use clear unobtanium glue. Black and white will leak. If you wear a baseball cap with the bill turned down over the left ear while under water, any color will work...except clear (but only in salt water).   :pimp:

What watch/insert is it? I think I have some old WM pearls that should fit most sapphire sub inserts.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hey thanks.  But it's a Tudor BB.  It had served me well!

Yup, sounds like the damage is done. The pearl falling out had nothing to do with water entering though, your watch just fell apart when it took a swim :( 

Isn't that always the case!  Once something starts, it all goes to hell.