When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

A little advice / opinions to fix or replace RG RC

goodfella0406

Gentleman, I hope this finds you all well. I realize I have been off our forum for a bit and for that, please forgive. Life has taken a turn and kept me busy with challenging matters. However, I find myself here hoping to engage in a conversation asking for your input and advice.

I have a Rose Gold Rubber Clad from the older batch. It is still a beauty and lasted for a very long time. Only recently did it become a paper weight which I know is our fear every time we purchase one of these watches. I will let you know that I bought this watch in 2009 and it only recently died so those of you who worry, give that some thought. I got plenty of use out of it and I am not complaining.

Here is my question......

My research tells me that in 2012 the GEN and REP released a new version and UPDATED DIAL.

Do I:

send the old watch for service and mods (AR, Lume) which will cost me the same as a new watch

OR

Purchase the newest watch and get the mods done eventually when I feel like spending the extra cash

then do what with the dead watch? Stick it in a drawer?

i am curious to hear what you would do and what your thoughts are. As a long time member here. I respect your thoughts and opinions.

Thank you in advance!

I have the RG RC model that was updated in 2012 or 13. It's very nice. The question is how close to gen is yours compared to the updated version? Our friend Legend is doing some fantastic mods, shaving the tachy ring, and changing the cyclops position and adding a different DW, also overhauling the movement and adding an ETA mainspring. Hopefully he will see this thread and weigh in. Hi motto is "let no ROO become a paperweight"!!!

Could you post some photos of your watch?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I actually wrote him personally and was to impatient to wait for his response LOL Legend is the man and he and I have had many conversations off the forums as well. I did not realize he was doing MODS now and I am excited to discuss this with him as well. I appreciate your response sir.

Here are a couple quick IPHONE pics but is it just a non modded early 09 batch from my TD

-1.png

-2.png

I have the RG RC model that was updated in 2012 or 13. It's very nice. The question is how close to gen is yours compared to the updated version? Our friend Legend is doing some fantastic mods, shaving the tachy ring, and changing the cyclops position and adding a different DW, also overhauling the movement and adding an ETA mainspring. Hopefully he will see this thread and weigh in. Hi motto is "let no ROO become a paperweight"!!!

Could you post some photos of your watch?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Thanks brother. I saw goodfella's PM but was too busy on the weekend to reply! ;)

Gentleman, I hope this finds you all well. I realize I have been off our forum for a bit and for that, please forgive. Life has taken a turn and kept me busy with challenging matters. However, I find myself here hoping to engage in a conversation asking for your input and advice.

I have a Rose Gold Rubber Clad from the older batch. It is still a beauty and lasted for a very long time. Only recently did it become a paper weight which I know is our fear every time we purchase one of these watches. I will let you know that I bought this watch in 2009 and it only recently died so those of you who worry, give that some thought. I got plenty of use out of it and I am not complaining.

Here is my question......

My research tells me that in 2012 the GEN and REP released a new version and UPDATED DIAL.

Do I:

send the old watch for service and mods (AR, Lume) which will cost me the same as a new watch

OR

Purchase the newest watch and get the mods done eventually when I feel like spending the extra cash

then do what with the dead watch? Stick it in a drawer?

i am curious to hear what you would do and what your thoughts are. As a long time member here. I respect your thoughts and opinions.

Thank you in advance!

Hey J, sorry for the late reply, I was having a rather busy weekend.

That rubberclad of yours is an old model from Noob. I would recommend you keep it for parts (not paperweight!) and get the new updated one, if it is available in stock. If the new watch is a JF one, the datewheel on your old watch would be useful, swap it over to the new watch and font ugliness solved. The repair and relume, as well as AR costs would make it a no brainer to utilize it as a spare. 

Yes Panerai153 was correct, I could help you with some mods if you decide that the watch is a keeper. The hand, tachy shave, cyclop mods would bring your ROO to the next level. Take a look at some pics Panerai153 posted and you will see what I mean. I am doing this as a favor to fellow ROO owners and not offering this service for profit at all. Then, if and when you send the new watch to me, send the old one over as well, the movement could likely be revived and fitted with a new swiss mainspring, and effectively given a new lease of life. 

I have advised what I think I would do in your position mate, and I hope it makes some sense to you. ;)