When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Recommendations for building a Tudor Sub

RickFlorida

Hello everyone.  I really like the forum since first finding it last week.  Although I'm a teacher by day, my hobby is making jewelry in my humble garage/shop (but I know nothing about watchmaking yet).   Anyways, I have decent EPOS sub style watch (3241-1) that is no longer in production.    It has served me well but the sapphire crystal had a good scratch and the bezel insert is looking ratty as well.  The 10 year old movement keeps excellent time but may need attention soon, who knows.

Long story short.   Since EPOS does not provide replacement parts anyway for my watch,  (they don't respond to me emails that are in English), I was thinking of using my nice jewelry bench to dive into the world of modding/building my own watch using my 2824-2 movement.

I've always wanted  a tudor or rolex sub but can't afford one on my laughable teacher budget.  But I would like to build an older looking Tudor sub with my ETA movement.  I've  been searching the forums about building and gathered a bit on into, but did not find any tutorials on building a Tudor sub.   (There are lots of tutorials on building Datejusts)

I don't understand why the replica cases from Yuki or Phong are 800 bucks.    If I want to build a decent looking aged look Tudor sub on a 2824-2, what half way decent cases and other parts can I use to do this?   And are there any tutorials on building one like there are for the datejusts?   I've read that I may need a few spacers or mods to make my stock movement fit, etc.

From what I've read, raffles cases or cartel cases were cheaper, but I see on cases for sale on raffles, only case backs, and I can't find Cartel.   I'm totally lost.

thanks for any advice,

Rick

Edited by RickFlorida

I just saw a photo of the Tudor 7016 and it looks great.  Would it be easier for me to build a 7016 if it's not a big crown because of sourcing cases for it by any chance?  (replica cases)

I also read on a different thread that "DW" cases can be had for around 100 used?

Where do I find used or new DW cases and who is DW?

Edited by RickFlorida

Hi Rick,

Welcome to RWG! This is easily the best forum for vintage builds, so keep digging through old threads and talking with members and you'll come out on top. I'm not as familiar with Tudor builds, but generally (not always), the higher priced cases (Yuki, Phong, Minh, etc) are closer to genuine spec than the cases that come from the trusted dealers (cartel, pure time, etc). Trustytime is a trusted dealer who sells cartel vintage watches (have to purchase the entire watch).

Regarding DW, he is a scammer, pure and simple. A while back he just stopped sending items out period. You may be able to find a DW-based build on the member trade section, but finding just that particular case will be difficult.

Good luck with your build mate!

Hi Rick,

Welcome to RWG! This is easily the best forum for vintage builds, so keep digging through old threads and talking with members and you'll come out on top. I'm not as familiar with Tudor builds, but generally (not always), the higher priced cases (Yuki, Phong, Minh, etc) are closer to genuine spec than the cases that come from the trusted dealers (cartel, pure time, etc). Trustytime is a trusted dealer who sells cartel vintage watches (have to purchase the entire watch).

Regarding DW, he is a scammer, pure and simple. A while back he just stopped sending items out period. You may be able to find a DW-based build on the member trade section, but finding just that particular case will be difficult.

Good luck with your build mate!

Well thank you, good sir!   Appreciate the warm welcome.  I most certainly will continue reading up on the forums so I may be able to answer some of my own questions.  And thank you for pointing out I should stick to the trusted dealers list.    I thinking I may want to reach out to the known modders since they know more about what spacers and parts are needed to work with my movement.

How do I find a list of modders or must I just search randomly and see what they have built for people?

have a good day,

Rick

Hi and welcome. A significant part of the build will be the research and to decide what You will go for spec and budgetwise. Really the simplest is to follow builds You like 1:1 exactly because they have been done, before, parts are probably available and they fit.

The nice thing about the Cartel Tudor and 5512s is the approx. 26mm dial size, the metal retaining ring for the crystal/plexi and that it will take a 2840 lowbeat ETA as a direct swap form the DG 2813 versions. If the 2824-2 is appropriate You will decide. With these You can try around with inserts as well. If changing the crown or improving lugholes drilling is needed. Crown and crownguards normally too stubby and fat/short.

Supermirrors will get You any Cartel watch, You can look at the models on Trustys or Perfect Clones website, those will be the Cartel. Reliability-wise I consider them to be fine watches even in the most basic versions. My decision was to start very low budget for training, disregarding accurate looks for now, this is what You get:

Completely stock in pic 1, small changes in the others

Tudor_1402_zps6qfn83ki.jpg

IMG_3655_zpsq9obkw1s.jpg

IMG_7214_zpsmu2bwxkl.jpg

• Like 1

Welcome to the forum mate, there are some wonderful tudor sub builds around. My advice would be to decide on a model and look into it. If you're starting from a movement you will need the case (perhaps look in the parts section of the forum for some great deals if something comes up), a dial (there are many different sellers on these, for a tudor sub the "cheap" option is usually yuki), hands, crystal and crown (there could be something else). You'll find a lot of build logs on this and the other forums. Good luck, welcome to the madness of rep watch building.

If I was you, I would buy a Cartel Tudor to start with. 

Get an ETA version.

You can replace the stock dial with a Yuki dial for around 200 USD...there's a couple options depending on what look you want.

You can use your jewelry skills to drill out the case for gen-spec springbars, or age an insert with bleach.

Put a rafflestime casback on and ding up the watch a little bit, and it'll be decent.

Yes, you could spring for a Yuki/Phong case, and put a real Tudor ETA in it...or get a real dial...but those are 4-figure builds...

• Like 1

If I was you, I would buy a Cartel Tudor to start with. 

Get an ETA version.

You can replace the stock dial with a Yuki dial for around 200 USD...there's a couple options depending on what look you want.

You can use your jewelry skills to drill out the case for gen-spec springbars, or age an insert with bleach.

Put a rafflestime casback on and ding up the watch a little bit, and it'll be decent.

Yes, you could spring for a Yuki/Phong case, and put a real Tudor ETA in it...or get a real dial...but those are 4-figure builds...

....maybe I´m wrong - but I´ve heard or read somewhere here, that it´s not possible to use the rafflestime caseback for a 5512 / 5513 / 1680 case from the cartel aka Josh & Andrew.....

....maybe I´m wrong - but I´ve heard or read somewhere here, that it´s not possible to use the rafflestime caseback for a 5512 / 5513 / 1680 case from the cartel aka Josh & Andrew.....

I have a cartel 1675 which I believe is the same caseback as the 5513/12 and I just installed a Raffles caseback onto it.

• Like 1

Thanks Gentlemen.  Great info from all of you.

I'm at the stage where I need to decide it it's important enough to me to get the right case or not.  I already have a well made sub style case you can see in my post about (interesting Epos build).   It's very water proof but of course has the wrong case back and a 6mm small crown with crown guards.    But I could just half-way do this and use this case with the ETA-2428-2 it has and fits a 29mm dial.    

I would only want to use a more accurate rolex/tudor case if I can get a decent price for just the case.  Since I already have a nice and complete 2824-2.

Why does Raffles offer such great prices on case backs but I can't find any decent priced cases?   And even if I did buy a replica case, how water proof are these replicas?   So I might just modify my current case.  Looks great from the front and I use a nato anyways that covers the back.

But if any inexpensive replica cases are decently water proof, I would wait for one of those and build it better.

You really should do a search in the Rolex subforum... there should be a few threads on this.

Here's one that I built which has a breakdown of parts being used.

http://www.rwgforum.net/topic/166374-tudor-9411-build-completed/?hl=%2Btudor+%2B9411#entry1305833

Ah very nice.   Questions.     Where did you get the 198 dollar case or watch to start with? How did you get someone to engrave the case back for you?   Since this is kind of illegal and all.  I assume you didn't just walk into a store that engraves and say, "can you make this part say Rolex/Tudor ".   

:)   Great build and thanks for sharing.    

beat up original tudor submariner will still put you in the $1.5K and above mark, if you are lucky.

Actually I have yet to see a beat up tudor anyway close to $2K on the web

Here's a decent case, maybe make him

An offer.

http://www.ebay.com/ulk/itm/121772261121

VINTAGE TUDOR SUBMARINER GENUINE COMPLETE 7928 CASE VI 66 WITHOUT BEZEL & CROWN

a6c2a2dac52658337262f779957f385b.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I was thinking maybe if you offered a lower price, it could be doable. Depends if you want to go Gen or not with the dial, bezel and hands. Bezel set NOS will run you about 725, comes with insert and washer. Crown 50-300 bucks. Hands are about 250, Gen dial will be harder to find, but not impossible. Movement, you could find a donor watch with a cal. 395. Dunno, it could get quite expensive you're right.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk