When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Modded AP ROO 44mm forged carbon (Noob base)

Legend

So I bought the base watch, with a defective movement from a local member last month, and decided to see how far I could take it.

The following mods were done:

- Serviced and ETA main spring fitted, power reserve now 50hrs.

- Double AR crystal fitted

- Subdial hands base painted black to match gen

- Hour hand base trimmed

- ETA datewheel installed

- Mk2 cyclop for better magnification and depth

FullSizeRender.thumb.jpg.65dcfb4527691f2

FullSizeRender.thumb.jpg.62ffec5da6d298e

The watch now runs like a dream, and has a power reserve of approximately 50hrs. She keeps time to within 2sec a day currently.

The double AR really brings out the texture of the dial very well, and would be a highly recommended mod for this model at least. I know many prefer the JF model for this watch, but I personally prefer the Noob model, for the following reasons:

- better dial marker colors, white for the Noob vs greenish for the JF

- More accurate dial markers at 3 and 9. The JF 3 o'clock marker looks stubby, and the Noob one, more symmetrical with its 9 0'clock counterpart.

- A nicer ceramic bezel in my opinion for the Noob. The color of the bezel would range from gun metal grey to jet black depending on the lighting. 

- An accurate subdial at the 12 o'clock position, with longer 2,4,6,8 and 10 markers. 

- An accurate spacing in the chrono second counter ring (shorter 1st-4th markers and a longer 5th marker)

- A better date font (not that it matters in this case since I replaced it) ;)

The JF model does have accurate subdial hands base color (black), which can be easily repainted on the Noob, and a better crystal (which I would have swapped out for a double AR crystal anyway).

Also, I do not care for the decorated 3120 movement plates anyway. Anyone who has seen the genuine caliber, would not be fooled by the replica. Still, it is an improvement over the A7750 movement seen from the caseback for sure. The new plates used in the newer JF ROOs have just improved the appearance of the movement, making it less ugly. But it does not turn humpty dumpty into Cinderella, no sir.

I do like a select few models from the JF, but for this specific model, I still like the Noob base watch. The dial is an important aspect for me, and Noob has got the better dial by far in my opinion. Both factories got their flaws, and again, it would be a matter of which you could live with more. I like the beauty of the Noob dial, enhanced under the double AR crystal and that does the trick for me. To each his own, but my choice is clear     

Edited by Legend

Well brother, you hi t another home run with that one. Very impressive. The FC 44mm is probably the only 44mm I would attempt, as it is so much lighter than the S/S models. Great watch, great guy, what more can I say!!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Well brother, you hi t another home run with that one. Very impressive. The FC 44mm is probably the only 44mm I would attempt, as it is so much lighter than the S/S models. Great watch, great guy, what more can I say!!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Thanks brother. My wrist is 6.5" and if I dare to strap this on, shouldn't be a problem for you! ;) believe me they're not that intimidating lol.

I'll be happy to do one up for you anytime!

Message crafted while wrestling a juvenile crocodile that's unwilling to be captured and made into leather

Approximately what do these mods cost?  Is the piece waterproof?

The mods would cost about $600 all in and yes she's waterproofed to about 5atm. :)

Message crafted while wrestling a juvenile crocodile that's unwilling to be captured and made into leather

This is actually the best AP with the least flaws but with these mods done. It's just perfect! I thought at first it was a gen so close does this look right now. You did a very good job again bro

Great work L!! Looks fantastic!

Thanks brothers. I know both of you own the same watch. I'll be happy to help as and when you ask. ;)