When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Tag Fake

DavidB272

I love old Heurers, but they are mostly cheap enough to buy genuine. When I first started to get serious about watches, I read TAG-Heurer didn't have any factory and just outsourced everything. That put me right off. Of course the bulk of the Swiss watch companies are owned by three big luxury goods companies. I never can remember who owns what, but there are lists on the Internet. I'm guessing there is a lot more sharing of movements and part movements between in house brands than the companies would like us to know. Maybe I should forgive TH a little bit now. 

I definitely consider TAG Heuer to be near the bottom of the list when it comes to the bigger Swiss brands and I don't see them ever heading in the right direction. The fear of being 'left behind' or missing out on any segment of the market sets them apart from brands that take their heritage seriously. Not too many brands are as historically significant as Heuer but those brands find a good design and stick to it; watches like the Formula 1 or that friggin Connected piece of crap just don't exist within other luxury watch brands. Where the Cal. 16 Carrera and the Cal. 5 Aquaracer should be the price of entry into a modern Heuer, they offer you an infinitely less appealing Formula 1 at a massively inflated price that is just enough of a 'bargain' to bring customers in the door. At the same time that they are producing incredible pieces of Haute Horology, they are pumping out crap that amounts to sticking their logo (all that some buyers care about) onto something uglier than anything that would ever come out of Citizen (Citizen makes some hidiously busy looking watches, IMHO).

Phew, End of Rant!

TAGs are shit? 

Wow. 

I thought Link Chronograph, Aquaracer Chrono and Monaco are among the best looking watch designs ever made. Finishing is equal to my gen Rollie, Omega and Breit. Almost all new TAG models are good looking. Same can't be said about Breitling's new designs... or Omega's endless supply of "special editions".

Quartz TAGs aren't that great. But neither are quartz Breitlings and Omegas. The auto versions basically use the same movements (ETA). 

I'm a TAG fan myself. 

Edited by By-Tor

I'm with you BT. I think Tag designs have been very innovative.  Just because Tag wants to broaden their demographic and offer a cost effective option doesn't give right to [censored] on their higher end watches. I suppose this is all a matter of personal opinion but some folks are just put to get Tag. I don't get it. I've got watches worth 4k and I still rank my 2k or less Tags up their in terms of quality, design, function and durribility. 

I do have to agree about the Breitlings - some of them are just horrid looking in my personal opinion... However, I think every brand has it's "uggo's" for lack of a better word haha. I love the Breitling Transocean's for example, and I've been searching for their Transocean Chrono in the elusive panda form...genuine of course... The issue I have had with Tag is that which many members have touched on... and an issue I take with any brand trying to sell a base ETA movement in a stainless steel case for $3,000 or a gussied up ETA for $xx,xxx like some Panerai... I don't believe in it, it's not good watch making and it's not good business over all. You short the brand, in my opinion. Then when TH did release an in-house caliber, it turns out it was just a jacked up Seiko, again not a bad movement, but worth the $$$? Not inherently. 

Edited by 508-Fanatic

I just want to say I'm a watch guy. I love mechanical watches. I have a thing for vintage Rolex and at the other end of the spectrum old Seikos. That is my personal choice. I do like some other watches and will own anything that appeals to me. If someone likes a watch I don't rate, I'd rather focus on common ground of being watch guys than argue. I've been following this thread and I'm hoping it doesn't turn bitter. We are a small enough group of hobbyists, with large and powerful groups who would like to put an end to our hobby. We don't need to fall out with each other. 

I'm not having a go at anyone here, just saying and I hope it is understood in the spirit I intend it to be.

Aquagraph is a stunner.

100_3424.jpg

It's a lot like my favorite Breitling... the Fish. Built like a tank. Big, macho diver watch for a big man. ;)

1.jpg

It's weird how TAG is not considered on par... and how Breitling has such a high class, premium image... and they've been using the same bulk ETAs since the day one. It's just marketing. :)

• Like 2

"IMHO TAG Heuer's Carrera line is just about as timeless as a watch line gets these days,"

Agree but wish they had left TAG off the dial and just went with Heuer like on the Monaco. Imho their retro styles should be Heuer, not TAG Heuer. When the name 'TAG Heuer' comes to mind I see quartz dive watches.

"Overall, as a brand, TAG Heuer could probably do without Formula 1 and Link."

Agree again, the Formula has moved upscale in price too much to be an entry model and the LINK has an identity problem. I have a steel LINK that does not know if it is a dress watch or sport watch. The watch is rated at 200M and has a rotating bezel, screw down crown, crown guards etc but has a bracelet without a dive extension or adjustment. Dressy diver maybe?

I hope no one thinks I'm crapping all over all TAG Heuers, while I'm clearly crapping all over the Formula 1 range, I'm sure that can be forgiven

I also feel i need to come to the defence of the Cal. 1887 again. This is not a gussied up Seiko movement, TAG Heuer purchased the intellectual property rights to the movement and it is manufactured by TAG Heuer, for TAG Heuer. While they didn't disclose the purchase from Seiko, on its face this is not a reason to dismiss the movement for what it is. Also, their selling the 1887, a manufactured column wheel chronograph for around $5000, on what planet is that not a bargain?

Perhaps the Carrera and Monaco lines should continue to exist with only the Heuer logo and TAG should be reserved for models that were created more recently or are more or less entry level.

Sent from my iPhone 6S Plus using Tapatalk

Personally, I think Link is one of the best watch designs. Link Calibre 36 is a stunner. If I remember correctly. that comes with El Primero movement.

ET08_5_EF_TAG_Link_Cal36.jpg

So is Calibre 16. The worst part of Link Chronos was the lack of AR. Fixed now.

jftime@1.jpg

Edited by By-Tor

The new Tutima chronographs are $5000.  They use the 7750 as a base and make minor adjustments.  The 1887 is almost all in-house from my understanding.  Most high end watch companies adopt this technique of buying ebauches (primarily ETA) and making modifications/changing out parts to them.  Doesn't seem fair to pick on Tag.  I guess it's always more fun to pick on the big guy ;)

What's interesting with ETA pulling their ebauches to all but about 6 or 7 watch companies is that while they aren't selling the entire movement to the other watch companies where they withdrew, they can and are still selling parts a la carte.

On a planet where that same column wheel/vertical clutch chrono movement with Seiko logo is found in $350 Invictas, I suppose?

I would like to be pointed in the direction of this $350 Invicta, mostly out of curiosity.

• 3 weeks later...
I hope no one thinks I'm crapping all over all TAG Heuers, while I'm clearly crapping all over the Formula 1 range, I'm sure that can be forgiven

I also feel i need to come to the defence of the Cal. 1887 again. This is not a gussied up Seiko movement, TAG Heuer purchased the intellectual property rights to the movement and it is manufactured by TAG Heuer, for TAG Heuer. While they didn't disclose the purchase from Seiko, on its face this is not a reason to dismiss the movement for what it is. Also, their selling the 1887, a manufactured column wheel chronograph for around $5000, on what planet is that not a bargain?

Perhaps the Carrera and Monaco lines should continue to exist with only the Heuer logo and TAG should be reserved for models that were created more recently or are more or less entry level.

Longines sell a Hydroconquest Chronograph with an upgraded 7750 column wheel. And it's much cheaper than 5k.

Sent from my SGP521 using Tapatalk