When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Totally ripped off by Puretime

evilcartman2

I ordered a Tag Rep from Puretime. It came and the packaging was undamaged. The crown and pushers just fell out while I was putting on the watch for the first time. They will "repair' it for 100 dollars in shipping! So that's $350 down the toilet. Chen doesn't even care. No attempt at service or making it right. This guy is a theift and you should avoid Pure Time at all costs.

There are better dealers that will follow up and make sure you are a happy customer. They will do you right or make sure things get fixed. Chen is not one of them. Stay Away. You WILL get ripped off and you WILL regret it.

Sounds like an easy fix.  Do you feel comfortable opening up the watch and doing a little DIY?  This is the risk you take from buying reps brutha.  It can be hit or miss with this kind of thing.  I had a 3777 a while back and the pushers fell out almost immediately.  I simply took out the movement and re-attached the pushers with a little loctite.  It's not worth sending the watch back IMO. It can take a while and you risk never seeing the watch again for a number of reasons.  I've used Angus/Puretime for many years.  Never had any issues.  They are a trusted dealer here and on other forums.

You've been here 6 years and only have 12 posts. Then come here to slate Puretime who is a trusted dealer across many of the rep fora. Maybe you should ask for help first, you'd get a much better response from people. There are even people on the board who could assist you. This is how the rep world works. 

Also you never know what happens to those packages during transport. I got a gen lately (Anonimo) that was NOS and sent from a very respected dealer. When it arrived the hands and the dial were loose although the packaging was tank like. The package must have gotten an enormous hit from the bottom which moved the dial which in return loosened the hands. It appeared to be an easy fix but it turned out that you could not remove the movement from the case without removing the bezel which is a screw in type for these watches. Impossible to screw out without special tools. 

The difference though: The dealer paid for shipping and repairs and I had the watch back in no time.

I do not want to bash any of the trusted dealers in particular but everyone has their own experiences. I took my business to Sead some time ago and I am very satisfied. He is very responsive and he provided me with replacement parts for very fair prices. 

You've been here 6 years and only have 12 posts. Then come here to slate Puretime who is a trusted dealer across many of the rep fora. Maybe you should ask for help first, you'd get a much better response from people. There are even people on the board who could assist you. This is how the rep world works. 

I have 12 posts because I don''t have a lot to say. I wrote a post about how amazing BK is because I had something to say then. I get ripped off and now again I have something to say, I would prefer not to fill the forum with garbage posts and meaningless drivel just to get my post count up.  Still, I been here for 6 years and this is the attitude I get? I have bought 10 reps from BK. He considers me a good customer. In fact I have ONLY bought from him because I know he is trustworthy. Whether he bothers to confirm this I don't really care. Believe me or not but its your money you can lose. Would you like top the the email thread between me and Puretime? You say they are a trusted dealer? How many reps have YOU bought from them?

I can post pics and emails if that's what you need to see. Western Union receipt? I am not the one who ripped anyone off here so I immediately get accused?

The fact is Puretime ( I call him Chen because that was the name I sent Western Union payment to ) sold me a broken watch and now if I want it fixed it will cost me MORE money. It didn't break. It ARRIVED broken. Thise pushers were never in there very good. My main complaint is the "tough [censored] for you" attitude I get from their "service" department. I was quite polite and friendly for the first several exchanges. The best they have offered is free shipping on my NEXT order. Like I would spend another cent with them. So then I get angry.

They offered to repair it if I paid for shipping both ways. That's about 100 bucks for me.

I live in a major American city and no one here will touch a Rep with a 10 foot pole. You don't think I have tried?

Isn't that what this section is for? To warn people when you get scammed? I was doing a public service I thought. Believe me or not, its your money. I prefer not to waste anymore of mine away. But I certainly did not expect to get met with this kind of hostility.

EC

P.S. Who is Sead?

Edited by evilcartman2

Sorry to hear about this. I have bought a lot of watches from Angus "Puretime" and always been really happy with his service. Just the luck of the draw IMHO. I would email Angus directly and see if that changes anything.

Good luck on a resolution.

0ed710453462835.jpg

How long will it take before Kernow accuses me of forging the photo I wonder.

I have since been informed by others that this is normal. You buy reps and you take your chances. If you get a bad one, you're stuck with it. I guess having dealt only with BK the last 7 years, I ended up with a distorted picture of the safety of the Rep scene. And btw, George walked off with an $850 dollar deposit of mine for the WM9 DSD. So I have paid my dues here.

"This is a dangerous place. It's a daaaaaangerous place."
-Adrian Belew - King Crimson: Montreal 1998

Edited by evilcartman2

Steady on old chap! Put your big girl panties back on.

Yes, I've bought from Puretime, maybe 2 or 3 reps and always had a good service. 

As for returning a dead on arrival rep, it's standard practice I'm afraid. Did you photoshop the picture ;)  lol

As Steel has suggested it's an easy fix for a Watchsmith. I was suggesting that Puretime are not a scam. You said you've been ripped off - but the $100 is for shipping by your account. You just need to take stock of what has happened and what you are saying and accusing people of. 

Maybe if you ask, people can suggest someone to repair yours in CONUS - I can't as I'm EU and I use SSteel. 

Finally, if I came across as harsh I apologise. :)

Actually I am sure if you take a few deep breaths and start again that there are guys right here on this forum that can walk you through the fix so there is no cost to you at all.

Yes watch dealers expect customers to pay shipping for returns, it may not seem fair to you but it is after all an illegal trade and as such there is always some risk.

I am assuming that the only offer you would find acceptable is for the dealer to pay your return shipping and then send you a replacement watch...but it is not going to happen and despite what you said, no dealer will do that.

So it's time to look at your options 1. get help from the guys here and do the repair for free or 2. Find a watchsmith who will do it and it should be a lot cheaper than $100

Ken

This is the second time in recent weeks that someone has been disapointed with a watch that was doa then starting thread wih SCAM in the title,

Seeking advice frm a moderator in PM is the way to go.

May be RWG could direct people this way, is that worth conidering guys.?

@Phener9 if one of our forum dealers has sent you a DOA watch and refused to do anything to help then by all means PM one of the team.

If however the dealer has offered a similar fix to what the OP of this thread has then they are within their rights.

Ken

Edited by KB

I bought the same watch and exactly the same thing happened to mine, same pusher too.

I wouldn't call it an easy fix, but here goes...

Take the bracelet off. Remove the case back.

Pull the crown into hand setting position. Press stem release button and remove stem. (search google for "remove ETA 7750 stem"

Undo the 2 case clamp screws and remove the screws and the small tabs.

Place a small piece of foam or similar over the back and turn it over. The movement with dial attached should come out. Do not touch the dial and only handle the movement at the edges.

NOTE! Somewhere inside the case or rattling about in the movement should be a 'tiny' circlip about 1mm in diameter. There is a chance it is still attached to the pusher, so check.

When the pusher is inserted into the pusher tube, the circlip slides into a tiny groove on the pusher shaft and should prevent the pusher from falling out.

My circlip was to small and it passed through the pusher tube.

I put the circlip on to the point of a needle and GENTLY pushed it down the needle to enlarge it slightly.

Now you have to insert the pusher and fit the circlip on to the pusher shaft (good luck here!)

If you get this far then it's just a reversal of the disassembly, ensuring you thoroughly clean any dirt, smudges or dust inside the case.

And make sure the the case back gasket is properly seated in its groove before screwing the back on again.

• Like 2

0ed710453462835.jpg

How long will it take before Kernow accuses me of forging the photo I wonder.

I have since been informed by others that this is normal. You buy reps and you take your chances. If you get a bad one, you're stuck with it. I guess having dealt only with BK the last 7 years, I ended up with a distorted picture of the safety of the Rep scene. And btw, George walked off with an $850 dollar deposit of mine for the WM9 DSD. So I have paid my dues here.

"This is a dangerous place. It's a daaaaaangerous place."
-Adrian Belew - King Crimson: Montreal 1998

First of all, please relax. Such unfortunate occurrences do happen in the hobby, and we just need to know how to deal with it, mainly for our own sanity and health. ;)

Next, I would not really consider this a rip-off. The watch arrived with the crown and pusher dislodged, and packaging damaged you say? This could be due to the rough handling of the postage workers, or some harsh condition encountered during the shipping process. I think its fair to say that Puretime has supplied a lot more watches that arrived in one piece, and have not selected a damaged one for you to ruin your christmas and your life. I am sure that the watch was intact during the QC process, or you would not have accepted it.

What you are unhappy about mainly, is the way which they have handled the issue after being informed about the misfortune. Being a rep buyer myself, I would not try to be sanctimonious and tell you not to be angry. But PT has not ripped you off. They have responded in a manner which is less than acceptable to you. If you need to vent, yes this is the place to do so. However, do be prepared for opinions of others which differ from yours. Yes you are the one who had suffered this inconvenience. But when you choose to share your experience, be ready at least for the vagary of opinions and viewpoints. 

Instead of sending the watch back to China, which would cost you more time and money, send it to a repair guy in USA, it does not have to be in your city. Get the watch fixed, and serviced at the same time. It still beats sending it halfway round the world. 

In this hobby, be prepared for incidentals like this, and know how to solve issues with efficacy and minimal emotional distress. Believe me I have faced much worse and got through them. There are members who have had their watches stolen, shipped the wrong watches, and a host of other issues encountered. It is never pleasant I concede. So yes, do your rant, and then move on. Kernow and the rest are not against you at all. 

So take it easy, and don't let this ruin your day.

• 3 weeks later...