When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

New member from Paris + questions about 79350

Hello to all members

Thank you for this forum

My name is Laurent, I am 33 and live in Paris. I work in the business consulting area but I am a mechanical engineer and I am very attracted by mechanical watches as a hobby/collection.

I own several watches (Speedmaster, BR03-92, Classima Ltd Edition, etc.)

So far I also try to make my own mods and projects usings parts and movements from here and there, mostly sourcing on the bay.

I have purchased case, dial, bezel and glass of a Portuguese on the bay. I need the 79350 and buy some hands to complete.

Allthought I have read many posts on this forum, the detail level of your conversations and the numerous threads available make me confused. I would really appreciate if someone could answer some of the questions below questions if possible :)

Thank you so much in advance

Best regards to you all 

Laurent

1. what % of chance is the case/dial/bezel/glass to be a rep ? how to know ? (quality seems great/flawless)
2. is there any way to purchase a gen 79350 somewhere today on the internet ? (i saw one on ebay.fr once ... how is it with.com and other domain names ?)
3. how far is this difficult to adapt a 7750 i.e. move the second @9hr to 6hr ? any modules available somewhere ?
4. what are your favorite purchasing websites for parts & movements ? especially for Portuguese projects ?

This is why you research a franken build BEFORE you buy your first part. There are tons of posts here about building franken Portuguese 3714's. I suggest you search and read up on them. The four questions you ask don't even scratch the surface of what you need to know. They are not easy builds unless you are using 100% genuine parts, and if you are doing that, you might just as well buy a gen at this point because the parts costs are steep now.

1) You'll know if they fit, and you can compare them to the pictures you see here. You can also post pictures here and people will let you know. I would be surprised that the case is gen, but a quick check is to compare the casebacks. The gens are finished differently than the reps. Also most reps have the fish logo'd crown. Rep crystals don't have AR normally, so that's a quick tell. On the dial, look at the number 6. If the lower loop of the 6 is intact, it's fake, as the gen slightly slices through it.

2) All genuine IWC parts are now scarce, not just the movements. This was a much easier build a couple of years ago. eBay, and the various rep message boards are a starting point, but you're going to have to search around and be patient.

3) The rep you buy as a base for the project will have a modified A7750 with the gearing to move the seconds to six already done. This movement has known longevity problems, which is why people go with a gen movement.

4) Scotch Watch is about your only option. http://www.scotchwatch.com/IWCparts.html

Wow ... this is a bit scary :) but very clear to me now.
Thank you so much Tomhorn for synthetising all this for me in one post.
I'll be patient and will start reading the threads having all that in mind.

Thanks again to all of the members for this nice forum

Regards

Laurent

ps : attached some pics of the case/dial/glass/crown purchased on the bay if anyone could add any extra comment on the probable genuity of it all, thanks!

Here it is (could not attach from previous message)

IMG_4012.JPG

IMG_4010.JPG

IMG_4009.JPG

Edited by Laurent75

update : 

Dial : seems to be a rep, as the 6 loop is "intact"... and the "I" of IWC is not strictly at the vertical alignment of the "A" of Schaffausen and the "C" of IWC is not strictly at the vertical of the "U" of Schaffausen vs in the gen IWC logo

Case : seems to be a gen, as the back finish is "brushed" steel (reps are polished steel) and that it has both outside, and mostly inside, serial numbers

Glass & bezel : no idea but came with the case so could be gen

Crown : no idea

ps : I could successfully insert a gen 7750 inside the case. It makes me think more and more of a gen case

IMG_5261.JPG

IMG_5266.JPG

• 2 months later...

Good evening everybody,

Could you please have a look to this so called IWC Portuguese dial (both links refer to the same object/vendor) ?

http://www.passionchrono.com/fr/iwc/7549-iwc-portugaise-cadran.html

http://www.ebay.fr/itm/391302109862?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

Price : 240 Euros (!!!)

To me it's fake (1st clue is about the "IWC" logo where the "I" and the "C" are not at the right position ...) but what do you think ?

Thanks a lot

Kind regards

Laurent

dial iwc ebay.JPG

Best taking this into the IWC brand forum mate, lots of great minds in there that could help you, this is just for saying hello really. 

The guys in the IWC area will take good care of you I'm sure!

Best taking this into the IWC brand forum mate, lots of great minds in there that could help you, this is just for saying hello really. 

The guys in the IWC area will take good care of you I'm sure!