When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

do you think the rep makers will ever focus on updated Breitlings?

tyrantblade

I keep checking a few TD websites hoping some day to see the updated Seawolf, but of course im always disappointed as its usually a new version of a rep that's been done to death, a slightly different model than what was previously available, or the oddest choice 

They seem to like gambling on some odd brands/models that probably nobody was even aware existed, rather than to spend  $4000 or less on an Avenger II Seawolf to rep it from the gen, i would be so happy if i could spend  $350 on a good Avenger II Seawolf rep

As has been the case for me for a long time, im uncertain when ill buy any more reps or for how much 

Don't get me wrong, there are some id like to buy, but nothing thats a must have, especially since i csn never be certain if i will have enough cash to justify keeping a rep, snd i dont want to buy, only to end up needing money and selling it

Im just tired of their repetition and I'm uninterested in playing the game of chasing after the newest version of a rep, only to find out they fixed one thing, only to mess up another 

Yes and no. If there is enough demand they will rep it. Have you spoken with any TD's to find their take on it. After all, it should be them pushing the factories as to what they think will sell. 

China is the greatest capitalist country in the world, and has become the world's manufacturing capital.

I agree that whilst some of their productions seem to be whimsical ($200k tourbillons, obscure limited edition models, fancy colored iterations non existent in the genuine counterparts), the mainstream rep productions is based on the simple theory of demand and profitability, as with almost all commodities, genuine or otherwise.

Breitling could be the world to you, but in the expanded universe of replica watches, there would be many makes and models which take priority over the specific model on your wishlist. Unfortunately, you and I cannot decide what should be repped next, but as a collective force in the hobby, we perhaps can exert some limited influence over the makers. This would require firstly a platform of communication established, and of course, patience and repetitions and plenty of time. 

Money is the driving force for these rep makers, and you need to take into view the broader spectrum of the rep universe, which would include heavyweights like Rolex, Panerai, AP, etc.. Breitling does feature of course, but it is the overall demand and popularity of the brand and model that drives the replication process. Exceptions to this exist of course, like what I mentioned above but this is by large and far the reason why some watches get repped and some do not.

If a used genuine is only $4k like you said, then why not save up and buy it instead of spending 10% on a rep that might or might not materialize? If you can spend $350 on a rep, the likelihood that you can spend $4k on a gen is favorable to you. 

Not again Fluffy...

Sent from my LG-D855 using Tapatalk

Now now you promised Fluffy...................:partytime:

To put a liitle spin on this, China is in the shitter now their markets are crashing taking the rest of us w/ them. How will this effect reps I wonder.........................

I agree with Legend, there are quite a lot if rep watches that are offered as a V1 for instance, and no updates are ever forthcoming. Most of the Blancpain models come to mind. They offered the New Fifty Fathoms in a chronograph version for a couple of years before they introduced the three hand version. Since then, they only "downgraded" to a FF "lite", cheaper and poorer quality.

The rep factories are in this deal for one thing and one thing only, to make money. To make money, they have to sell watches. Another factor, the rep forums make up a minuscule segment of the rep trade. The number of watches sold to members of the rep forums are dwarfed by the numbers sold to tourists, flea market vendors and street sales people. I would hazard a guess that what those folks buy is a lot more important to the factory owner than what we buy here on the forums. And guess what sells? Not niche brands, or necessarily watches that excite us, but watches that Joe Blow from Kokomo recognizes, which is some version of a contemporary Rolex. Something that he can wear home and at least for a few weeks, impress his buddies that weren't able to take a vacation.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Panerai I agree but then again I wonder: If their major market is the uniformed why all the updates V this that and to be honest some really stellar offerings so so close even by our standards. Joe Blow from Kokomo has no idea......................

Why bother.

Now now you promised Fluffy...................:partytime:

To put a liitle spin on this, China is in the shitter now their markets are crashing taking the rest of us w/ them. How will this effect reps I wonder.........................

Mike, I certainly don't have a crystal ball, but I seriously doubt that the Chinese govt. is going to do anything to rock the boat at this point. I would suspect that they will, if not encourage, at least turn a blind eye to any enterprise that employs people. One thing that regimes like China has live in mortal fear of is social unrest. They are not going to do anything to create more job losses and subsequent unrest.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

The thing is the used updated breitlings sometimes show up for $2500 or less, $4000 or so would be brand new

Even $2500 is an impossibility right now, i just can't manage to save much money no matter what i do right now, that wont change unless

1. My factory job starts needing overtime on a regular basis, its happened before, but i work for a cheap factory (my pay is just below $10 an hour)- its not that they aren't making a lot of money (sales climbing to $20 million), they would just rather not pay overtime at all - they complain about spending money on things that can only help them make more

2. I pick up a 2nd job that offers probably 20 hours a week, making up for the overtime i rarely get, not really favorable as then ill be too exhausted to do anything but work and sleep and ill be miserable. 

3. I reduce my bills, its coming down the pipelines within a few years, then i will have to buy insurance and save money for implants 

This is why all i can do is wait and hope, $350 for a rep i can manage, i have had a few reps before and managed to pay bills (i only have 1 $300 rep right now) i will not be able to pay $2800 on a gray market website unless work picks up and im able to work 70 hour weeks

So you see, what is easy for you guys, is not for me

Many decades ago the lines between manufacturers were a little more blurred. Wakmann / Gigandet made pilot chronos for AOPA (aircraft owners and pilots association) and Breitling noticed. So the case stayed the same and a couple complications were dropped and a slide rule was added. That was the first Navitimer as we know it now. Then Breitling chose a different case and voila' we had the 809.

It's a short progression from this:

864dbf0168dac316b68b41cec3e465d4.jpg

To this:

04386f1e7bbf520878c219b7ec36a12a.jpg

To this:

1dd5c98790f681c9e02de294df11a9f3.jpg

• Like 2

I'm with Nanuq on this one. Breitling IMO has not done anything exciting in the past decade. I'd prefer the rep makers to go backwards and do some vintage pieces. Think about how well an accurate Navitimer Fighters would go over! And i'm not talking about a crappy shiny cased, flat glass POS like they've done in the past. I'd love to see a reissue of the fantastic titanium Chrono Avenger. The AOPA Navi's would be awesome as well.

I'll be honest, I am surprised as well.  Not because I love Breitlings but because it seems like most of the people I talk to do.  These are not "watch people" but rather everyday people and they usually point out Breitlings and say positive things.  I don't know if it's the big packaging or the commercial sponsors or the whole "aviator" feel but I feel like they get a lot of love.  These are people probably unwilling to shell out the money for them but like the style so I would imagine more than a few would find themselves looking for a replica.  Maybe the factories aren't working on updating because this customer group doesn't care about quality or accuracy to gens?  They're just happy with a cheapie?

1 hour ago, tyrantblade said:

the avenger seawolf looked run of the mill, serious diver that looked boring 

Like everything else in life, YMMV........    I think the Seawolf is an awesome design and my yellow dial SW gets loads of wrist time.    If they'd re-issue the Blue Dial version, I'd scoop it up in a heartbeat.    

I know lots of people bought the old Breitling reps, the Avenger II series is simply an improvement over the old models, especially in the case of the Seawolfs with the odd number font, which wasn't even chromed (just the start of the differences)

Plus the Cobra Yellow beats the old pale yellow all day long, whats not to get?

If old models sold well (and still do, both from dealers and M2M) of course updated models will sell good,  especially divers

123copyo.jpg

montcopy.jpg

Edited by tyrantblade