When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Replica Daytona (w/ Zenith Movement) On Ebay

Omega-Reign

Hey,

I spotted a replica Zenith 16520 on eBay.

Interesting Point:

Note how those selling replicas as real always make the same mistake:

THEY SHOW OFF THE MOVEMENT!!!!

They subconsciously are trying to prove that their replica isn't a replica to the buyer in the manner that guys here would show the movement to demonstrate how accurate to the real deal it is.

Classic mistake.

I've added a little photo quiz. Check it out.

While only the case is pictured, there is more than enough to spot to determine whether it is gen or rep.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Stainless-Steel-Rolex-...tem170064277578

post-4316-1167506651_thumb.jpg

Edited by Omega-Reign

It's almost always in the font.

Check the "Oyster Perpetual" and the space between "Oyster" and "Perpetual" It is WIDER on the original.

Spacing is always a problem. It's one of those nuances that will always be. (Like the initial gap between the A and the P in the AP symbol on the Offshore Replica.

See also the difference in the "Hours Per Second" (Note the spacing in the LETTERS of the word "HOUR" (Too much space here).

Too much space here. Too little there. Always a problem (If you can catch it).

And again.

Always showing a serial number or movement. It is ingrained in the brain to do that. Thinking like a rep dealer and not a genuine owner.

These posts will self destruct in 1 hour. (Really)

Edited by Omega-Reign

If this is a rep Omega Reign - do you know where can I get one that's this good without mods etc?

I'll place my order today coz it's got to be the most accurate rep I've seen - and I've been all over this forum, other forums and all the dealers websites for weeks now looking for the 1;1 Daytonas I've always wanted but apparently don't exist.

Many thanks for the post Omega Reign - does it make me a bad person to actually want this to be a rep so I can dream of getting one as good??? Sincerely hope nobody gets scammed tho.

this does not have to be a fake.

can simply be a genuine daytona with a redial or an aftermarket dial or whatsoever.

rolex parts dont always look the same, especialy not when you send and old watch in for service. you get the watch back with a new dial that has different characteristics. simple as that!

I'm no Zenith movement expert, so I cant comment on the movement. What I can tell is that its a real zenith movement and that the rotor appears to be a real one. plus the watch comes with certificate and everything

The difference is that the two gens listed are MKV dials with luminova (signed SWISS MADE), while the one pictured for the rep is a genuine MKIV with Tritium (note the T SWISS MADE T at the bottom).

For reference, here is a pic of my franken-Daytona that I put together myself using a genuine MKIV dial:

175772-8496.jpg

And here is a genuine image from a reputible source:

175772-8497.jpg

So, the dial is actually legit, as is the bezel. If you want to see what an aftermarket case and dial looks like, have a look here...

Two cases; one is genuine and the other is not:

175772-8498.jpg

Comparison of CG's:

175772-8499.jpg

Aftermarket on top; genuine on the bottom:

175772-8500.jpg

The black dials on both are not original, but repaints on genuine dial blanks. Some things to note:

Aftermarket dial's font is nowhere near as crisp in the printing; the spacing is off, the subdial rings are too white (with a hint of silver); those rings on the black dial need to actually be offwhite. SWISS MADE is too large, and silver- It should be white.

The bezel's engraving on the aftermarket is no where deep enough, though the fonts are the same. If it were engraved slightly deeper, it would be better.

The case's CG's are a bit different in shape- Too much material, but not enough for me to care. The lugs are also thicker.

:)

If this is a rep Omega Reign - do you know where can I get one that's this good without mods etc?

I'll place my order today coz it's got to be the most accurate rep I've seen - and I've been all over this forum, other forums and all the dealers websites for weeks now looking for the 1;1 Daytonas I've always wanted but apparently don't exist.

Many thanks for the post Omega Reign - does it make me a bad person to actually want this to be a rep so I can dream of getting one as good??? Sincerely hope nobody gets scammed tho.

This is an elusive one, nonetheless, it is a REPLICA.

The fonts are off, the numbers and lettering on the bezel are off, there is too much material on the markers.

Besides....

Be sure to check the thumbnail.....

I'm sure someone can hook you up.

post-4316-1167513543_thumb.jpg

"Ohm" Mitted

Aftermarket dial's font is nowhere near as crisp in the printing; the spacing is off, the subdial rings are too white (with a hint of silver); those rings on the black dial need to actually be offwhite. SWISS MADE is too large, and silver- It should be white.

The bezel's engraving on the aftermarket is no where deep enough, though the fonts are the same. If it were engraved slightly deeper, it would be better.

The case's CG's are a bit different in shape- Too much material, but not enough for me to care. The lugs are also thicker.

Thought that was worth repeating.

Ubiquitous,

I think people forget these are available. Or, are they not "available"

Edited by Omega-Reign

The watch in the auction is very suspect. An A serial should (heavy emphasis on should) only have a MKV dial w/ luminova. The chances of a 1999/2000 serial watch are very slim. However- If the watch was an early enough A serial, some of the older dials may have overlapped in production. Has it happened before? Yes... I have seen it take place with some other models. However, in most cases, an RSC will update the dial to the Luminova one during service anyways.

It should be known that putting a franken-Daytona together is not difficult- I have two of them myself that I've built. So, with these models... Make sure you know whom you're buying from. In this case, I would be very hesitant buying from someone with 9 feedback, and with a somewhat questionable dial. In this case... Better take the watch to RSC NY, pay the $70 for a check up, and if they validate the serials on both the case and the movement, then there's no worry.

Excuse my ignorance ubiquitous but are you saying this is indeed a replica or is it a gen with aftermarket modification...or something else?

...and is this an auction scam?

If anyone knows where I can get a rep like this out of the box, please point me in the right direction - PM would be warmly welcomed if you prefer not to post.

Many Thanks

I'm agree with Ubi, different watches: the front pics shows two A serials (one brand new and the other hardly worn with scratches in the bezel and the lugs), the back pic is a non A serial (look at the non-sel links).

My only doubt is about the picture of the movement, I'm not sure that the finish of the plates are according to the zenith rebuild by rolex.

just my 0,02€

WOW - that is awesome guys.

You've spotted details that only a knowledgeable enthusiast would ever know about.

Nice One - You Guys Are A Credit To This Forum

Thanks,

Actually though, I only have a keen eye for detail, which caused me to recall Ubiquitous' thread on TRC.

(Something like that, you don't forget. Not too many can do this).

Sorry he only builds for himself. I can't quite nail it down, but there is some strange honor in that.

And as for the auction:

The way to answer that is ....

With everything you know now, the discrepancies in the photos, the mini-feedback...

WOULD YOU BID?

$8K Eruo is at stake. With everything we know it would be better to flag it and then have the seller offer proof. Or you could just e-mail him and scare him into seeing that you know .....

Edited by Omega-Reign

For grins... Some production pics...

175798-8488.jpg

Ebel 134; aka the El Primero 400 in the white dial Daytona:

175798-8489.jpg

175798-8490.jpg

175798-8491.jpg

175798-8492.jpg

And in the black dial Daytona, a Zenith 3019, aka the El Primero 400 :)

175798-8493.jpg

Dials...

Gen:

175798-8494.jpg

Rep:

175798-8495.jpg

Can you see the difference? The printing.. The indicies... The coronet. It's easy to spot once you've seen them side by side- Especially in person...

:)

Sorry he only builds for himself. I can't quite nail it down, but there is some strange honor in that.

:) Well, I build frankens for a hobby; not for profit. One of these Daytonas will go to my son... The other will be mine (whichever one will be his choice- He's got a long time to give that decision consideration, as he's only 3).

Hopefully, the watch will mean even more to him since his Dad had a hand in putting it together...

I'm agree with Ubi, different watches: the front pics shows two A serials (one brand new and the other hardly worn with scratches in the bezel and the lugs), the back pic is a non A serial (look at the non-sel links).

My only doubt is about the picture of the movement, I'm not sure that the finish of the plates are according to the zenith rebuild by rolex.

just my 0,02€

Just check it with my pics, movement is OK too

Why couldn't he take any pic he wanted to complete the ruse?

Someone will pay $8K to get it home and open it up and find another brand stamped in gold on the movement...and not Rolex.

Oh well.

Edited by Omega-Reign

Oh... I should also mention- The rotor and the bridge (stamped 4030) can be had for around $800 total for these two parts. I have had numerous opportunities to purchase some, but since I'm not selling or trying to dupe anyone into thinking they're gen, and since these items are also hidden behind the caseback, I feel that's money better spent elsewhere :)