When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

The Audemars Piguet Royal Oak Offshore Diver Chronograph

martijnp

What do you guys think of the new AP Diver Chrono, released at SIHH2016?

https://www.hodinkee.com/articles/the-audemars-piguet-royal-oak-offshore-diver-chronograph

http://www.watchcollectinglifestyle.com/home/sihh-2016-new-audemars-piguet-royal-oak-offshore-diver-chronograph-ref-26703st-live-pictures-pricing

For me, I don't like those bright colours. But the blue one is absolutely stunning, especially on the SS bracelet! 

Credits for my friend @Stuvetjee 

AP-STEEL_zpskrlge3w1.jpg

And his own creation:
9c76fa6ff4bc177f86ace42789fba98c.jpg

• Like 2

I'm a big fan of AP's, especially the divers. I do like a lot of the ROO chronograph as well, despite pretty miserable luck with a7750 movements!! Having said that, I have never been a fan of chronograph diver combos.

First off, as a diver I want a watch that is easy to read, the simpler the dial the better. The more subdials complications, etc. you add, the harder it is to make out the most important thing which is elapsed time. I know, most everyone dives with computers now, including me, and they are wonderful tools however dive safety is based on redundancy and a watch is a good backup.

Second, it has been proven that it is impossible to "idiot proof" any mechanical object. What happens when the "idiot" decides to run his Chrono at 60 feet depth? Probably going to flood the watch. Maybe not when it is brand new, but down the road, brittle "O" rings, lack of grease and next a disaster.

Last but not least, they added a chronograph function, but lost the date? Unfortunately important to me.

So, for me, the Diver that this watch is based on is a great watch, probably difficult to improve on, but add the Chrono function, delete the date function and it's a pass for me.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• 2 weeks later...

It's decent in yellow/blue, but I will not buy the rep. I suspect this will be a beast when it comes to weight. The current diver v7 is the limit of what I find acceptable on the wrist.  Also, the steel clasp from experience on the diver is AWFUL AWFUL AWFUL when used for swimming. In fact, I sold it here and replaced it with the rubber tang for my swimming use.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, mule play said:

It's decent in yellow/blue, but I will not buy the rep. I suspect this will be a beast when it comes to weight. The current diver v7 is the limit of what I find acceptable on the wrist.  Also, the steel clasp from experience on the diver is AWFUL AWFUL AWFUL when used for swimming. In fact, I sold it here and replaced it with the rubber tang for my swimming use.

Rubber strap is by far the most comfortable way to go but it looks so stunning on the bracelet. I think when they release the rep (and it's a good one) I like to buy the watch and will post a review! 

• Like 1