When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

V72 Daytona trying to finish it off, help please

red series 3

Best way to find something at a reasonable price on the Bay is to search for listings where the seller doesn't know what they have. Anything listed with Valjoux 72, V72 etc, will always go for more money than they should. I put a bunch of information in my build thread to help people find those "under the radar" donors.

Like Tom says, you have to find a watch with a V72 in it but that the sellers doesn't realize is a V72. Try 'vintage chronograph' and then look for the asymmetrical pushers and you'll have to know what a V72 movement looks like so you can tell if there's a movement pic. AND GOING THRU VINTAGE CHRONOGRAPHS ON EBAY CAN TAKE A LONG TIME! Others have tried the various watch brands, but there's a boatload of brands that used V72s. These days I'd figure around $1K for a decent V72. Watch out for the early Heuers- pre-Carrera, they used a V72 with larger plates and won't fit in the Daytona cases. Like the one on the left!

P1000455.jpg

Like Tom says, you have to find a watch with a V72 in it but that the sellers doesn't realize is a V72. Try 'vintage chronograph' and then look for the asymmetrical pushers and you'll have to know what a V72 movement looks like so you can tell if there's a movement pic. AND GOING THRU VINTAGE CHRONOGRAPHS ON EBAY CAN TAKE A LONG TIME! Others have tried the various watch brands, but there's a boatload of brands that used V72s. These days I'd figure around $1K for a decent V72. Watch out for the early Heuers- pre-Carrera, they used a V72 with larger plates and won't fit in the Daytona cases. Like the one on the left!

P1000455.jpg

Whoever guts a Heuer Watch for a Daytona build should be shot in the kneecap!

• Like 4

I'd concentrate on the appropriate movements first. V72 for non-screw down pushers and V726 on screw-down versions, beat rate is different. Learn which manufacturers used them in their watches and then look for specific models (e.g. Orfina, Enicar, Nivada, etc.). As the others have suggested, V72x anywhere near the listing will see the price skyrocket. 

• 3 weeks later...