When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

My Franken Planet Ocean 2901.50.91

danza1812

I haven't posted on here for a while so wanted to share a few images of my latest build. 

I'm currently the proud owner of a gen smp ceramic. I decided I wanted another watch to wear as an alternative and when I spotted a gen PO dial and hands at a giveaway price I couldn't resist. So I went to build yet another Franken PO (I've done a few now!) this one would be a keeper but I wanted to see if I could make a watch I'm happy with for a price I'm happy with as gen omega parts seem so much more expensive than they did 5-6 years ago. 

Here's the dial and hands; 

93C9C7B6-53FB-4CC8-98D3-A10068CDA16F.jpg

Then I needed a donor watch. I decided to go with the lmpo, it comes with a 2824 movement, decent crystal, crown and correct placed he valve so out of the box seemed a very accurate base to start. 

B1CB29A0-054F-4492-8606-80A4653E634C.png

So out with the old and in with the new, I sold off the bezel, dial and bracelet to offset the costs, this is a budget Franken after all. I did the dial and hand swap myself. Even though I got a gen eta dw, I didn't want to risk messing up the movement or having to send it off for 4 months so decided (for now) to keep the lmpo dw even though it has silver font, hopefully only I will  likely ever know the difference. 

B68330B4-F822-456B-96C8-D440E08CE524.jpg

I then won a gen bezel for a great price on eBay but it appears the greedy [censored] bag of a seller had been given a better offer offline so pretended he had lost the bezel as soon as the auction finished and he saw he hadn't got as much as his private offer.

Anyway I did some research and found a v5 bezel with orange insert and modified pearl over on rwi. I scoured the web for the best aftermarket black insert and went with clarkes, super fast delivery  I filed the hole a little larger, used the nodded pearl and bezel from the v5, ditched  the orange insert and am pretty happy with the result for a fraction of the price of a gen. 

I have always been fussy about omega pearls and bezels and will keep my eye out for another gen, but for now very passable! 

Here it is on nato: 

319AA5ED-2B6D-4A98-ADA9-1541897F1B75.jpg

finally, the nato didn't quite do the watch justice, I wanted a solid gen feeling beater of a watch. so this last week I have managed to source a barely used gen rubber strap and kept the price very reasonable for the complex project. Here she is;

573C4B4A-6F4F-4D84-ADC1-E714D2F05FB6.png

total price £260 all in. Considering the price of a gen dial and rubber strap and a lmpo I'm pretty happy with myself. 90% gen looking for 10% of a gen price - can't say fairer than that! 

i would love to finish it off with a gen bezel, proper dw, v5 or gen caseback and a new unfaded second hand but these aren't essential just yet. 

Let me know what you think. 

Edited by danza1812
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...