When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Daytona Build

Caci

I'm new...

I joined to gain some insight on replica construction. 

I bought my Daytona 6263 case/dial/hands from Tony Vittimberga In 2006, and they had been sitting on my watchmaker's (ex) bench untouched, for all this time!

I just got them back, recently.

I'm now faced with the dilemma of having the watch built, not knowing if it is even viable.

The case was received with plexi, pushers & crown/tube installed, with a Bakelite 6263 bezel installed.

I had already obtained a very clean, nicely running V72 in a Paul Garnier "SCUBA" (white w/black subs).

When I got the "kit", the 1st issue was that the dial feet were in the wrong location for a V72.

2nd, the pushers shafts were too long to allow insertion of the movement (not to mention, retained by e-clips & cheesy).

I was able to get a properly fitting dial & ordered a pair of "OEM fit" MK 2 pushers from an eBay seller.

No longer having anyone local to assemble - or for that matter - even know if this would go together, I turned up Jewelry & Watch AND Vintage Watchmaker, sending inquiries to both about having my parts evaluated.

Vintage replied 1st, so after a phone conversation, I sent it to Jensen.

He's had it about a week and said that his father was going to look at it. I now know that his dad is Phong & don't have any problem with that (that I'm aware of).

In addition to having them check out my parts for compatibility, my other criteria was a functioning, water tite watch.

The quote that I received via email was pretty expensive and includes:

Replacement of the pushers, crown/tube & an "Install".

They were recommend a COA (at a  pretty high price), with a 1 year warranty.

Options included a new, marked caseback & engraving between the lugs - which are not on my case, nor anything I really want.

Now, if the "Install" includes assembly of the watch, I'm OK with the price - their $250 pushers and $200 tube (don't know if they're using my Gen Triplock..) seem to be in line.

I have NO IDEA as to the origin or how accurate the case is.

I have to assume several things:

1. They know that their pushers can be fitted.

2. They know that the movement/dial fit the case (depth, stem/pusher alignment, etc.)

They made no mention of the suitability of my handset...

I've asked Jensen to call me, as I think this all needs to be hashed out.

Any constructive input/advice is appreciated.

Thanks,

Chris

Sogeha,

Thanks for the reassurance!

I spoke with Jensen Dinh this morning and all is good.

The "INSTALL" figure covered complete assembly of the watch and I am very happy with that number.

He said that while the case was a little thicker than their current model, the movement fit/alignment was perfectly fine and it's a very nice case.

He also said that my dial & hands were good.

This is relevant because, for what he quoted for the "full meal deal", I would be in for about $1000 (about 1/2 of his Complete Watch Kit), not including COA & Assembly charge.

I feel his $400 assembly charge (pushers, tube, dial, hands & mounting) is VERY reasonable.

As stated, previously, I'm going to hold off on the case engraving/ stamped caseback & movement conversion, for now.

So, in the famous words of Winston Wolf in Pulp Fiction:        "Well, let's not start s***king each other's d***s quite yet."

I may be in this build pretty cheap, as I bought the Garnier for $200, the case kit for $650 & the dial for $200 (10 years ago...)

If it turns out OK, I'll post pictures.

Thanks,

Chris

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

That's going to be a beautiful watch. I'm putting money aside slowly for a 6263 from Phong myself, hopefully I won't have to wait the ten years you have. You are a patient man. The engraved bridges are impressive, but with a closed back on only your watchmaker will see them, so I think you made a good call on economising there.

You are going to be in for a fair bit of money, but I bet your movement is worth what you paid for it, the dial and case if not more, so it's got equity and isn't just lost money. Even if you had to sell it as parts you could get a lot of your money out if you ever wanted to, in the meantime you are going to have a great piece to enjoy. 

Please share pictures of the completed watch and details of the journey. The members here love a high end build.

best wishes

Paul

• 4 weeks later...
17 hours ago, tomhorn said:

If you're only in for $1,000 on parts, you have done very well. Welcome to the club ... :)

Only change I would make is to switch the bezel to a WatchNY one to get the 110 spacing correct.

daytona_1_zpsb3be0556.png

tomhorn,

Where might I find one?

Chris

Daytona came in today - has a few issues - minute recorder is not advancing (I didn't spring for $400 Phong service).

It stutters at 57-58 seconds but does not complete the jump unless you tap the side of the case.  Doesn't seem to be any crud & minute recorder train moves freely.  Perhaps minute jumper adjustment or issue with chrono-wheel to sliding-gear wheel?

Also, buffed out a few light scratches on the crystal and after rinsing, condensation inside!!

I was told it was water resistant...

I swapped in a meatier caseback gasket & will be careful.

Anyway, received my gen 78350 bracelet yesterday (557 ends) and it fits pretty good.

Here is a summary of the parts/costs:

Paul Garnier "SCUBA" , Belmont Industries Valjoux 72 $200

Daytona "Kit", Case, back, crystal, dial, bezel, crown/tube & pushers (dial, pushers, crown/tube not useable). $650

Useable Dial $200

Jensen/Phong Pushers, Crown/Tube
$450

Assembly by Phong $400 

Gen 78350 Bracelet w/557 ends $380

Total = $2280 (+ some shipping)

And, whatever it costs to service V72...

I'll post photos soon.
Chris

8 minutes ago, newswire said:

I got the watchny bezel on eBay

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OK, I contacted Ebay seller "watchny" whom had a 6365 bezel for sale (titled "Aftermarket") to see if he had a 6263 bezel. He said "I don't sell replicas"...

Can't wrap my mind around that one.

Is "watchny" a seller, or just a mfg., appearing for sale, from time to time?

2 minutes ago, photon said:

Do you mean $1200? $200 for a running Valjoux 72 is a crime!!

My nickname is Pawn King. I just paid $200. Best I can remember, it was running fine - now, has that problem with the chrono- maybe sitting up for 10 years...

2 hours ago, racingeagle said:

Not for sale? I would be interested. Or if you build one in the future. Thanks.

Not right now - I started this 10 years ago and it's been held hostage by my former watch repair guy, until March this year!

I'm going to enjoy it for a while.

Chris

• 4 months later...

I was having a problem with my minute recorder and an adjustment took care of that. 

Watch us running really good - keeping time, registers running...

Now I want to replace the crystal, as mine is a little beat up (already).

I bought a Clark 25-21 on EBay, but my matchmaker said it was too small to fit OVER its seating surface on my case (it split on attempting to install it).

Any recommendations on a crystal?

thanks,

Chris

If you got your case from Tony V, I'm thinking that it's a DW case. Some of DW's cases came unmarked. As for the crystal, you just need to try a few others, a gen would be good, but there are other aftermarkets that will work also

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Plastic-Plexi-Watch-Crystal-For-Fit-Rolex-Tropic-21-Swiss-Made-/291781159157?hash=item43ef8328f5:g:eTkAAOxyY3ZRwOf5

Sternkreuz has a 21 - XS-306.449- might get it from CousinsUK or Ofrei.

It's been my experience with plastic crystals that you may have to try a few until you get one that fits and with DW cases, I've had to sand down the bezel to make it fit over the crystal- but if you have a better bezel, hopefully that won't be the case.

I do think it's best not to get a 6263 wet- it would be nice if it were WR, but I wouldn't push it myself.

10 hours ago, alligoat said:

If you got your case from Tony V, I'm thinking that it's a DW case. Some of DW's cases came unmarked. As for the crystal, you just need to try a few others, a gen would be good, but there are other aftermarkets that will work also

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Plastic-Plexi-Watch-Crystal-For-Fit-Rolex-Tropic-21-Swiss-Made-/291781159157?hash=item43ef8328f5:g:eTkAAOxyY3ZRwOf5

It's been my experience with plastic crystals that you may have to try a few until you get one that fits and with DW cases, I've had to sand down the bezel to make it fit over the crystal- but if you have a better bezel, hopefully that won't be the case.

I do think it's best not to get a 6263 wet- it would be nice if it were WR, but I wouldn't push it myself.

Thanks for the recommendation.

My bezel isn't really "proper", as the "110" is wrong.  Also, I just noticed a crack between the "150" & "160".  Guess that developed since after I got it back from Phong (received from them un-broken).

You can see that crack in my last photo, wrist-shot. Worse now.

Been looking for a watchNY bezel, or equal, but haven't seen one come up on EBay.

15 hours ago, alligoat said:

4 hours ago, Caci said:

My bezel isn't really "proper", as the "110" is wrong.  Also, I just noticed a crack between the "150" & "160".  Guess that developed since after I got it back from Phong (received from them un-broken).

Been looking for a watchNY bezel, or equal, but haven't seen one come up on EBay.

Just to confirm...

Are you saying that while the Clark 25-21 crystal is supposed to be "spec" 62XX size & it did not fit, the others you suggested (including Gen) COULD fit my case?

Thanks again,                          Chris