When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

6542 Dial & Hands

Caci

My second topic...

I have a real 6542 from 1959. The dial is a terrible refinish and I just cannot stand to look at it anymore.  Just check out that 7 o'clock plot!

As this is a real watch, with a 1030 movement, the dial used is "snap on" style, without feet.

I know that members here are really concerned with accurate representations and was hoping for recommendations for a dial/handset (small 24, of course).

I would like aged appearance, but not the "yellow" or "cafe latte" (a bit overdone for my tastes).

Slightly tan is really representative for the vintage Rolex(s) I own (and have owned).

Luminova is fine, as I actually wear this one!

I have seen posts of really nice dials, but would like some firsthand use or feedback.

Thanks,

Chris

image.jpeg

Don't see many 6542s without their original Bakelite bezel. What on the watch is original? Hands are obviously replacement SL, where did the dial come from? Were any of these parts actual RSC replacements?

If you were trying to restore it to its former, all-original glory, prepare to spend a small fortune on a gen Bakelite bezel, small arrow hands set, and OCC service dial (if you can even find them). It will definitely not come cheap, but it will make your 6542 look amazing of course.

If you're ok with turning it into more of a "franken" piece, try sourcing a Bakelite from Tonnywatches and a dial from either him or Minh Q. Hands set, if not going all original, I'd hit up Classic Watch Repair or either of the above for a complete and matching small arrow set. You'll probably have to have everything re-lumed to your preference as well.  These are just a few recommendations, there are others out there with good aftermarketparts if that's really the way you want to go; I'm sure a few members better versed in 6542s will chime in. In my VERY humble opinion, if it were mine I would try and get it back to as "original" as possible. Regardless though, beautiful watch

Meadowsweet,

Thanks for the reply.

For right now, I'm just interested in a decent looking Dial & Hands.

I would consider a re-fin of mine - if I can be assured to get MINE back.

Can't be just a re-lume (plots not aligned).

I can't swing restoration right now -- been offered a NOS Service Dial for $2500 (probably a good price) and, as you mentioned, Bakelite bezel assembly is $$$$.

BTW,                                      MANY Bakelite bezels were replaced with aluminum inserts - due to fragility & radiation concerns...

With due respect, just because the hands & dial are "SL" (or just Luminova) does not mean that they are not original - definitely can have been refinished - years ago - I've had it for 12.

Case, movement, date wheel, back, bezel & insert are genuine.

Crown is replacement (underline), as it lightly drags on bezel in a few spots (originals had chamfer to clear bezels).

1967 rivet bracelet...

Thanks again, will contact your recommendations.

Oh absolutely, I wasn't implying anything wasn't original, I was just curious. The last iterations of 6542s were equipped with aluminum inserts iirc and the insert you have is a beauty!

I'd maybe check with CWP and maybe even ABC Watchwerks to get restoration quotes from them; might be more reasonable and they both are highly regarded in the vintage Rolex world. 

All things considered, I'd say try and keep the watch all gen if you can swing it, grab that service dial and go from there...

Too bad Ingod is not around anymore, he had some pretty nice 6542 snap fit dials. Unfortunately he is long gone.

Nice watch, and hopefully one day, you can afford to bring it back to it's original state. Good luck.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Caci - You are going to have to spend some money to get a dial & handset that look gen. Unfortunately, that is just the way it is. All the standard rep-quality parts look like what you currently have. Alternatively, you could have the dial refinished professionally, but that would cost about the same as a good replacement dial & may still look 'repainted'. Were it me, I would start saving for a proper dial - high-end aftermarket or gen - & handset. Also, have the 1036GMT movement properly overhauled when you replace the dial/hands. It is overdue & these GMT movements are not something that should be left to run without proper maintenance. Once the parts wear out, you will have a hell of a time finding (& need a second career paying for) replacements.

• Like 1

Tonny watches 6542 dials are snap on... They are a cheap but imperfect option for a gen watch like yours ... They can be had around 200 on the "bay" ... And after that I'll start saving up for gen hands and dial ...

Good luck

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Snap on is how the original dials mounted.

3 hours ago, alt.watch.obsessive said:

I know nothing about this kind of thing, but could Rolex be an option? It seems genuine enough that they would service it, and they presumably would supply a service dial and hands at a reasonable price.

I think that's a great idea, however, I'm afraid mine is a model they've stopped supplying dials and (correct) hands for.

I will call them Monday, and let you know how it goes.

Chris

Unless things have changed, Rolex will not service these old watches. They are in the same boat as everyone else, no parts, and even if you find a RSC that has parts and can service the watch,their prices are going to be sky high as well. Also they will not touch anything that is not original, so anything aftermarket will have to be replaced by Rolex.

I believe that Freddy gave you some good advice. Prices of anything genuine for the 6542's are going to be sky high. This is simply the result of supply and demand. When the demand exceeds the supply prices go up. Like he said get the movement serviced. Parts are scarce and expensive and a service will keep the movement running a while longer. Another problem is there are not a lot of watchmakers that can work on these movements and have the parts. There are plenty that tell you they can, but they cannot replace worn parts as they don't have a source for them. To be honest, this may be a case of putting the watch up and wearing something else until you can afford to get it done right. Over time, you might be able to buy replacements like the dial and proper hands if you are diligent and keep looking. Once you get the parts, you can send it to a good watchmaker and have the movement serviced and parts installed at the same time.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• Like 1

On 4/17/2016 at 1:46 PM, alt.watch.obsessive said:

I know nothing about this kind of thing, but could Rolex be an option? It seems genuine enough that they would service it, and they presumably would supply a service dial and hands at a reasonable price.

Because it contains a number of non-Rolex parts, it is (per Rolex) officially a 'fake Rolex'. Therefore, I am fairly certain Rolex would reject it outright. In rare cases, some UK RSCs have been known to accept a franken for service if the owner agrees to have them replace ALL the non-Rolex parts. But since dials & handsets for these have not been available from Rolex for decades, I cannot imagine even any RSC would take it in. Your only options are to have an indy watchmaker (preferably, 1 that specializes in vintage Rolex, but any watchmaker with an active Rolex parts account should have the skills necessary to) perform a standard overhaul or learn to do it yourself (I would definitely hone your watchmaking skills on other watches before attempting to disassemble a gen 103x movement).

11 minutes ago, freddy333 said:

Well done. Those hands look perfect & will improve the appearance of your watch 20% (a proper/matched dial would provide the remaining 80% improvement).

I've been offered a tritium Service Dial (different seller than the one in previous post) for a very reasonable price and am looking at that option.

I'd have to sneak up on an Original Dial (like I did on these hands) to afford that option.

39 minutes ago, Nanuq said:

Is it just my lying eyes or is the tip on the small arrow isosceles instead of an equilateral triangle? :g:

That, and the base looks just a tad rounded. It looks just like the one I used a pic of when I worked with Rafflestime to make them. I wonder if Rolex used more than one source, as they did with the inserts and bezels, accounting for the differences we find 60+ tears later.

http://rafflestime.com/small-vintage-gmt-watch-handefor-1675-and-6542-cal-1560-1-7mm-hole/

I mod the tip a bit to tone down the tip which makes it better to my eye.

dial.JPG

1 hour ago, Nanuq said:

Is it just my lying eyes or is the tip on the small arrow isosceles instead of an equilateral triangle? :g:

Nanuq,

That is a great observation.  Here are some additional photos, taken as perpendicular to the tip, as possible.  I've also included a close-up of the pointer, currently on my watch.

Guys, I just re-re-re-referred to the Dial Archives on the VRF and, in looking at both 6542's & EARLY small pointer 1675's, can find examples of both shapes on watches proclaimed to be originals.

There are ALSO, numerous photos, in the Archive, where it is stated that Service Hands are shown, and they do seem to be almost always Isosceles (and frequently, with thin metal frames).

I'm REALLY confident that these are from  a 6542 or early 1675, based on this situation:

I got these from the son of a recently deceased watchmaker, whom found them in his Dad's parts.

They were in a box, from a watch parts company. Pretty easy to surmise that these were take-off's, as the parts box is labeled "1570/1675".

I'm not even convinced that they DIDN'T come off a 6542, as I'm sure "6542 replacement" hands were not available from them.

Thanks again, for all of the great input,

Chris

6542TIP1.JPG

6542TIP2.JPG

6542TIP3.JPG

6542TIP4.JPG

2 hours ago, freddy333 said:

Be careful purchasing so-called 'service dials' as most I have seen are nothing more than aftermarket dials being sold with excuses for why they do not look gen.

As always - buy the seller before you buy the Rolex.

Freddy,

Thanks for that advice. My seller is beyond reproach.

Chris

Edited by Caci
missing text