When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

6238 V72 Silver dial

photon

7 minutes ago, Revere said:

That looks pretty good. Where did you source the case from, if you don't mind my asking?

The case is one of the standard DW 6239/6263 cases for 7750. I trimmed the edge (filed off and finished with sand papers), made the bezel and movement ring for V72.

DSC01326_zpsbgowcw52.jpg

@photon did that bezel come with the DW case? Don't think I've ever seen one without the usual UPH bezels. Love this, and that dial is great looking. Always loved the look of the pre-Daytona Cosmographs, something about the look of the smooth plain bezel and the piston pump pushers that's so appealing visually. Elegant, understated and such a "pure" tool watch

6 hours ago, meadowsweet_ said:

@photon did that bezel come with the DW case? Don't think I've ever seen one without the usual UPH bezels. Love this, and that dial is great looking. Always loved the look of the pre-Daytona Cosmographs, something about the look of the smooth plain bezel and the piston pump pushers that's so appealing visually. Elegant, understated and such a "pure" tool watch

I think DW offered smooth bezels for his 6239/6263 case but, he had disappeared from the net before I decided to gather parts. Anyway, his smooth bezel was a bit too tall and I found it off. Smooth bezels are simple and it's not that hard to make one by yourself if you have access to a lathe. I used a hobby lathe for making the bezel and the movement ring for this build.

There are sellers on the bay who offer smooth bezels for 36mm oyster cases but, they cannot be used off-the-shelf because of the brim at the bottom of crystal retaining ring on the DW cases. This means you anyway need a lathe.

I agree with you and I like the oyster style of pre-Daytonas.

• Like 1

Yours is beautiful!! mine pales in comparison to yours with the phong dial. Really great job.

mine says hello. Just a comparison, the DW dials like mine has are not even close. The subdials are a dead giveaway!!

090a.thumb.jpg.8f0da9079052ddecc7889fe99

panerai153, sir I cannot see your picture and could you try updating the link?

alligoat, thanks for the comment!

Sogeha, the Phong dial I started with had three flaws which can be seen in the pic below.

Phong%20dial%20flaws_zpsizqxjobe.jpg

1. "G" instead of "6"

Simply, the gap on the horizontal line was filled with paint!

2. Incorrect coronet (the one with a sharp edge was there)

Got a gen 18k WG coronet and the original one was replaced with the gen.

3. Long indices

Each index except at 5, 15 and 25 position was shortened by erasing partially. This was done under a microscope with a toothpick soaked in ethanol.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Revere said:

Were there any issues with pusher location for the v72 in a 7750 case?

The pushers on DW 7750 cases are asymmetric and their positions are aligned well radially with the chrono operation and reset levers on V72. But, funnily enough mine have a problem in the depth position. While the winding stem position is okay, the top pusher just misses the operation lever. But, this may be unique to my V72 because the length of the operation lever in the thickness direction of the movement is quite short. A more conventional V72 operation lever with a longer lever is on the way and this will tell if the problem is due to the case or the movement.

17 hours ago, photon said:

The pushers on DW 7750 cases are asymmetric and their positions are aligned well radially with the chrono operation and reset levers on V72. But, funnily enough mine have a problem in the depth position. While the winding stem position is okay, the top pusher just misses the operation lever. But, this may be unique to my V72 because the length of the operation lever in the thickness direction of the movement is quite short. A more conventional V72 operation lever with a longer lever is on the way and this will tell if the problem is due to the case or the movement.

Thank you for the information! That's interesting.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but aren't 7750 pushers symmetric? Why would DW 7750 cases have asymmetric positioned pushers? Was there an expectation that the pushers would be modified or something?

rolojack, unfortunately no engraving inside (as yet):)

panerai153, thanks for the pic! Is that a gen rivet brace? I'd love to get such a nice bracelet.

Revere, you're right and the pusher positions on 7750 are symmetric. My guess is that DW was lazy enough not to modify his V72 case design and he just increased the bore of the V72 case to fit 7750. The size difference between these two movements is just one ligne (~ 2.2 mm - my home-made mvt ring fill precisely fill this gap). Correct me if I am wrong experts but, it's my view that DW V72 and DW 7750 cases are essentially the same except the bore size. 7750 just happens to tolerate the asymmetric pusher positions.

On 3 May 2016 at 1:24 PM, photon said:

panerai153, sir I cannot see your picture and could you try updating the link?

alligoat, thanks for the comment!

Sogeha, the Phong dial I started with had three flaws which can be seen in the pic below.

Phong%20dial%20flaws_zpsizqxjobe.jpg

1. "G" instead of "6"

Simply, the gap on the horizontal line was filled with paint!

2. Incorrect coronet (the one with a sharp edge was there)

Got a gen 18k WG coronet and the original one was replaced with the gen.

3. Long indices

Each index except at 5, 15 and 25 position was shortened by erasing partially. This was done under a microscope with a toothpick soaked in ethanol.

Thank you for the detailed explanation. I'm going to look at the long indices when I am less tired as I'm not getting that at the moment.

• 1 year later...
I think DW offered smooth bezels for his 6239/6263 case but, he had disappeared from the net before I decided to gather parts. Anyway, his smooth bezel was a bit too tall and I found it off. Smooth bezels are simple and it's not that hard to make one by yourself if you have access to a lathe. I used a hobby lathe for making the bezel and the movement ring for this build.
There are sellers on the bay who offer smooth bezels for 36mm oyster cases but, they cannot be used off-the-shelf because of the brim at the bottom of crystal retaining ring on the DW cases. This means you anyway need a lathe.

I agree with you and I like the oyster style of pre-Daytonas.

For those looking for smooth bezel for their builds, I got my mine for my pre Daytona from JMB.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

For those looking for smooth bezel for their builds, I got my mine for my pre Daytona from JMB.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just keep in mind that the 6238 had a symmetric case, so the side where the crown sits is less thick than on a 6263. If you use a 6263 case with a smooth bezel, it wont look right.

Rolex made the crown-side fatter than the other side when they started using 7mm crowns and screw-down pushers (although 6239s exist in both variations).

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
  • Like 2