When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

New member question about 6542/1675 build

jtragic

Hi guys,

I love the look of the bakelite bezel and am trying to gather some information for a build that will use an ETA 2836 or clone.  The only bakelites I've found are Yuki's and Tonnywatch on the bay.  I've tried to get answers from them about what cases they will fit but have gotten no responses.  While I'm not looking to do a rep build - i want to use an HR custom dial if possible - I've been all thru this forum and the rep builds are incredible.  So I figure if any bunch of guys could direct me towards budget cases that can use these bezels (either 6542 or 1675 style) you guys can.

TIA for the help,

JT

Everyone wants to do one of these but few are willing to put the money in that it costs to do well. A budget version of this is EXTREMELY hard to do... possibly even harder than the 3k+ option... for example, no budget case for this build exists currently, without some pretty damn great case mods. There used to be a Puretime 6542 which is no longer available which I did a build with, that case is not great at all but kind of acceptable and I think I read somewhere that PT is selling these again? Maybe that is an avenue to explore. Other than that you really have to park this desire until you have more $$$ :-)

There's a gen 6542 for sale on HQMilton right now for $10k. It doesn't have the bakelite insert, and the dial is a service replacement, but for the price of a super franken you could use that as down payment on the gen!

Also, member Joeyb here on the forum produces gen-spec replacement bakelite inserts. Contact him for details.

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk

11 minutes ago, Kime said:

Everyone wants to do one of these but few are willing to put the money in that it costs to do well. A budget version of this is EXTREMELY hard to do... possibly even harder than the 3k+ option... for example, no budget case for this build exists currently, without some pretty damn great case mods. There used to be a Puretime 6542 which is no longer available which I did a build with, that case is not great at all but kind of acceptable and I think I read somewhere that PT is selling these again? Maybe that is an avenue to explore. Other than that you really have to park this desire until you have more $$$ :-)

No, I understand how tough this build is as a rep, I've seen some of the build lists others on here and rwi have published and know how expensive it can be.  I'm really just trying to find a case that will accept an ETA and fit the bezels.  I want to reiterate that I'm not doing a 6542 build, just trying to do a one-off with a vintagey feel need help with some parts.  I already know that Phong and MQ cases are too much $$.  Unfortunately I cannot seem to access the puretime site because of virus protection. 

BTW I saw your build on HF and it was incredible.

There's a gen 6542 for sale on HQMilton right now for $10k. It doesn't have the bakelite insert, and the dial is a service replacement, but for the price of a super franken you could use that as down payment on the gen!

Also, member Joeyb here on the forum produces gen-spec replacement bakelite inserts. Contact him for details.

Saw that. Very tempting

57 minutes ago, Mendota Explorer said:

State%20of%20the%20GMT%200042__-2_tonema

(Phase II in center, Phase I on right - both fitted with JoeyB inserts)

Ditto JoeyB's plastic inserts. There are none (other than a gen) better, but they are designed to fit a gen or gen-dimensioned bezel, so, unless it is made to gen spec, you would need to measure your rep/aftermarket bezel to be sure the insert fits.
As others have said, '42 builds are complicated & expensive. The options really come down to spending thousands on a mixture of gen & gen-spec aftermarket parts, or heavily modifying a rep Sub or GMT case (these are generally made to fit ETA or ETA-clone movements, instead of gen Rolex movements) to mimic the '42. Several years ago, for my Phase 1 '42, I used a cheap Silix Sub as the basis for the build (I do not recall the exact rep model, but I believe it has been unavailable for several years - if you can locate the model in 1 of my Phase I construction threads, Silix may be able to locate a similar rep for you). It was selected because the basic case was close to the '42 in size/dimension, but the crystal & bezel mounting were different, which required a great deal of modification & input from other advanced members (you can search out the several threads on the subject for details).

Whichever way you decide to go, be prepared for alot of headaches & budget excesses.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, freddy333 said:

State%20of%20the%20GMT%200042__-2_tonema

(Phase II in center, Phase I on right - both fitted with JoeyB inserts)

Ditto JoeyB's plastic inserts. There are none (other than a gen) better, but they are designed to fit a gen or gen-dimensioned bezel, so, unless it is made to gen spec, you would need to measure your rep/aftermarket bezel to be sure the insert fits.
As others have said, '42 builds are complicated & expensive. The options really come down to spending thousands on a mixture of gen & gen-spec aftermarket parts, or heavily modifying a rep Sub or GMT case (these are generally made to fit ETA or ETA-clone movements, instead of gen Rolex movements) to mimic the '42. Several years ago, for my Phase 1 '42, I used a cheap Silix Sub as the basis for the build (I do not recall the exact rep model, but I believe it has been unavailable for several years - if you can locate the model in 1 of my Phase I construction threads, Silix may be able to locate a similar rep for you). It was selected because the basic case was close to the '42 in size/dimension, but the crystal & bezel mounting were different, which required a great deal of modification & input from other advanced members (you can search out the several threads on the subject for details).

Whichever way you decide to go, be prepared for alot of headaches & budget excesses.

Actually I saw you did part of a writeup of a build using a silix ROLS176 case which seems to still be available.  Will the joeyb bezels work with silix?  if so that seems to be my best, and most affordable bet.

rols1760161.jpg.html

29 minutes ago, jtragic said:

Actually I saw you did part of a writeup of a build using a silix ROLS176 case which seems to still be available.  Will the joeyb bezels work with silix?  if so that seems to be my best, and most affordable bet.

Yes, but, as described in my Phase I construction threads, it will require significant modification of the ROLS176 case to fit the crystal & gen-style bezel.
After being unavailable for so many years, I am very surprised to see that rep model available again. Silix must have received many requests for it. However, I chose it at a time when there were no 6542 reps available. Although I have not been following the offerings of rep makers in several years, there may be other/better options available. So, before starting on a '42 project, I would recommend that you check the offerings from the sellers who have sections on rwg to see if they have either accurate 6542 reps or other Rolex models that have a similarly dimensioned case that you can use as the foundation for your project.

I have to echo what others have said. The 6542 build , like a correct 1675 build are expensive frustrating and fraught with problems. There probably isn't and easy way, at least not that I have heard of.

One path that I would advise against is the puretime 6542. I started out that way, and the only thing I ended up using from the puretime 6542 was the 2846 converted movement, and even at that, it ended up having to be completely rebuilt as it more than likely was worn out to begin with.

I would advise you to read all of JoeyB's build threads, because he has come the closest to building a correct budget 6542 as anyone.

Good luck!!

Here is mine, decidedly NOT a budget build

998528d0a425b0fc1ddda6a6fe00f3a3.jpg

24c425cf6ef5ff9e45102aa1f7b36d49.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I will reiterate the fact that any 42 build is difficult and expensive, also what Kime said in the cheaper you go the harder it is !

my latest build was a pt case with rehaut taken back on the Lathe, I redrilled the crappy positioned lug holes and laser welded the case for better accuracy. Sure this isn't easily accessible for most, but I didn't want to spend $1k on a average caseset either tbh the pt case is ok and fits ETA well or clone np.

i used a phong bezel assembly and a gen 116 plexi but a Tonnywatches insert all with minor fitment issues.

Gen crown and tube fit with no retap also.

04524D7D-7FBF-421A-BFD5-D77E4E2E8005_zps

i also did a build with a cartel gmt case and shaved off the cg's which worked out well and also fit plexi and bezel no problems... plus the gmt movement is ready to go !

• Like 2

One thing Joey B talked about was taking a Perfect Clones 1655 case and taking off the crown guards- file them off and repolish that side of the case. The 1655 case will take a T-116 and then all you need is the bezel and the bakelite insert- maybe Joey could help you with those. Or you go to Phong for the bezel like DLF said.

At that point you're down to a dial, maybe a small GMT hand from rafflestime and also the Mercedes hands. Joey used the DG3804 movement that came with the 1655 on one of his builds. The only other thing is the datewheel overlay- don't know where you'd find a correct one.

• Like 1

Using the cartel Explorer ll 'Steve McQueen' 1655 as the base donor is probably the least expensive and easiest build. But it ain't easy or cheap. I like this one because you can use the setup as it came, ETA or DG style GMT movement, and it all fits with no modification. I refinish the dial using the decals. I replaced the Asian ETA with a slow beat Swiss ETA 2846. It all fit together, stem height and all 4 hand clearance.

My other uses the old Tiger 2 case, no longer available. That one has the DG3804B movement, new from Frei. Refinished dial using the decal, and some case modding.

Here are some pics of the Tiger2 case:

My Case side 2.JPG

My Case side 3.JPG

Here are dial close-ups of the 1655 first and Tiger2 next.

dial.JPG

Dial1.JPG

The ETA movement allows for the longer 13mm minute hand from Helenarou. The DG is my daily wearer now, and is quite accurate and dependable.

7 hours ago, Dlf said:

I will reiterate the fact that any 42 build is difficult and expensive, also what Kime said in the cheaper you go the harder it is !

my latest build was a pt case with rehaut taken back on the Lathe, I redrilled the crappy positioned lug holes and laser welded the case for better accuracy. Sure this isn't easily accessible for most, but I didn't want to spend $1k on a average caseset either tbh the pt case is ok and fits ETA well or clone np.

i used a phong bezel assembly and a gen 116 plexi but a Tonnywatches insert all with minor fitment issues.

Gen crown and tube fit with no retap also.

04524D7D-7FBF-421A-BFD5-D77E4E2E8005_zps

i also did a build with a cartel gmt case and shaved off the cg's which worked out well and also fit plexi and bezel no problems... plus the gmt movement is ready to go !

Absolutely stunning!

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
A gen 6542 is a special thing indeed. Don't go the rep-route for your parts. The bezel will be challenging but an aluminum insert and gen bracelet will make it stand up tall. Please post photos!

some things need to be done right, and restoring a 6542 is one of them

Agreed. There is a gen 6542 for sale on HQ Milton for $10k. It has a service dial, service hands, service insert, and that's the difference between a $50k gen and a $10k gen.

21 hours ago, bdf said:

I have a Gen 6542 I am trying to restore, I need a bezel and insert, crown and tube, and a bracelet.

Not hung up on Gen parts as it will never be for sale.

any help is appreciated.

Depending on condition, original parts, papers, etc., A 6542 costs upwards of $10K, and I've seen them as high as $80K. Is this something you would want to wear every day? Most days? Some days? A genuine non-hacking, non-GMT settable is a pain for everyday use, and finding someone to service the 60+ year old movement is difficult, finding parts needed even harder.

I have never had anyone outside of this forum, including several jewelers, 2 pawn shops and an authorized Rolex dealer that knew what my daily wear 6542 rep was - model or age - other than an old Rolex. I have had many gen owners buy my inserts  and bezels to replace lost or broken ones. Two that I know of who said they wanted to keep the delicate original genuine bezel and insert in a safe place yet still wear the watch.

So, like all else, it will all depend on what you want to do with the watch. 

JoeyB, I have to agree with you 100%. There are vintage watches that are not so rare that they can be worn at times, usually under what I would consider "non harsh" conditions. Probably later 1680's 1665's 1675/16750, etc.

On the other hand there are watches that are just too valuable, too fragile and extremely hard to repair that probably should become "safe queens" I put the 6542 squarely in this category. A well made rep would make a whole lot more sense if you want to wear the watch. Sort of the same theory that folks who own super expensive jewelry espouse to. Keep the "real stuff" in a safety deposit box and wear the copies. No one will ever know!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk