When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Datejust 1601 Gen build -damage

tgeo

Hello.

I have been lurker on the forum for some time and I have finally taken the plunge and bought a Gen Datejust 1601 case off of eBay.  Upon arrival I noticed 2 defects in the case and would like to get some feed back before I consider sending it back.

My intended build is:

SuperFranken

Gen 1601 midcase and back.
Gen piepan dial
Gen crown
Gen 1570 Movement
Gen Crystal
Gen bezel (Still looking for a 14k Bezel - If you have one please let me know)

But before I start here are my concerns.

Picture 1 shows where the case appears to have been hit/dinged by something.  My concern is that the case back will not seal properly.  Would a watcher builder be able to "fix" the issue"

upload-1.jpg

Picture 2. It appears that the tube has been torqued upwards and puckered the upper surface... its not a severe pucker but it's noticeable .  The tube feels secure... would a watchmaker level this out?

upload-2.jpg

Thanks again

T.

"SuperFranken

Gen 1601 midcase and back.
Gen piepan dial
Gen crown
Gen 1570 Movement
Gen Crystal
Gen bezel"

This is not a 'SuperFranken', it is basically a genuine watch with no original papers or sales receipt. Many watches this old are 'put togethers' with no papers and share this same pedigree. I have probably owned a few, there is no way to know.

As for the case...it is junque, take MOAB's advice.

Something else to look for...I bought two 1601/3 cases, one from eBay and one at a watch show (sight unseen when a friend called from the show saying he found one) and both have 'case rot'. The one from eBay was not too bad but the one from the show looked great but was badly corroded where the gasket seals to the case. I may cut a groove in the case and use an O ring type gasket in place of the original flat gasket or cut a deeper gasket seat and use a thicker flat gasket. Many of the older 1500/1600 cases have case rot and have also seen a lot of 16000 type cases that were rotted out. Rust Never Sleeps...

Did you see these images on the seller's site??? It looks like the typical molestation of ignorant cherlatons that try to make a quick quid.  

The case tube is permanently secure as it seems to have been jammed in the  case instead of being screwed in.  You would be surprised as to how many professional accredited watchmakers are unaware that the rolex case tube is screwed into the case instead of your typical mainstream watch brands that have case tubes friction pressed - especially those that have never worked on a rolex.  Believe it or not,  I have met three of them that we're unaware of this!!!!!!!  Some watchmakers also do it out of laziness to keep the cost down as they might have a press in tube that will fit the case and screw onto your crown and by the time you need it replaced it would be years later where you would not even remember who last botched it.

Hopefully you can get a refund and in the worst case, I hope you did not pay too much for it, as I copped a far worse flogging than you did as I have a genuine 18k 1601 datejust that  has the same problem and it is a very expensive fix,as it either needs a very big oversized case tube to be tailor made or the hole needs to be soldered in gold and then drilled to be re threaded - neither of which I am pleased with!!!!

Picture 2. It appears that the tube has been torqued upwards and puckered the upper surface... its not a severe pucker but it's noticeable .  The tube feels secure... would a watchmaker level this out?

upload-2.jpg

Yes for an astronomical cost!!!!!

• Like 1

Thanks everyone for the advise.

I have contacted the seller and he is willing to take the case back.  No Hassle return policy.  I am grateful he has this policy.  The price of the case was between $130 and 150 off of eBay so it still wasn't a bad deal. 

I guess on the hunt for a replacement case now.  Patience.

The pictures on the auction really didn't show the damage... Now that I see in person I can make out the scars from Image 1

7 hours ago, horologist said:

The case tube is permanently secure as it seems to have been jammed in the  case instead of being screwed in.  You would be surprised as to how many professional accredited watchmakers are unaware that the rolex case tube is screwed into the case instead of your typical mainstream watch brands that have case tubes friction pressed - especially those that have never worked on a rolex.  Believe it or not,  I have met three of them that we're unaware of this!!!!!!!  Some watchmakers also do it out of laziness to keep the cost down as they might have a press in tube that will fit the case and screw onto your crown and by the time you need it replaced it would be years later where you would not even remember who last botched it.

Hopefully you can get a refund and in the worst case, I hope you did not pay too much for it, as I copped a far worse flogging than you did as I have a genuine 18k 1601 datejust that  has the same problem and it is a very expensive fix,as it either needs a very big oversized case tube to be tailor made or the hole needs to be soldered in gold and then drilled to be re threaded - neither of which I am pleased with!!!!

WOW!!!!

thanks for sharing your experience and of your misfortune!!!  I learn something new everyday!  I don't want to hijack this thread,as I am sure the OP has resolved his issue from the above answers.  You now really got me very worried as to how far one has to look outside the square to cover every possibility of what nasty surprises could lie underneath their prizes possession.

how did you discover about your case tube being jammed in, instead of being screwed in?  Is there any way of telling besides at service time when there is a need for replacing it ?  It sends chills down my spine reading about your answer, especially happening on a solid gold genuine case

The case tube just popped out when I tried to unscrew the crown.  There were signs of some epoxy used to hold it in as they must have made the hole in the case much bigger than any case tube in existence.  Big enough to give birth to another watch.LOL!!!

I did not contemplate on getting an oversized case tube made up as I was worried that when trying to rethread  the wider than normal case opening , it would be very weak under the gasket seat where the case tube would screw into, especially that gold is soft.  I the opted to get a quote from bob Ridley regarding laser welding a piece of gold and then re drilling a new hole to be threaded to accept a genuine case tube.  Back in 2011 he gave me the impression that he did not seem too keen.  He quoted me US $ 950 and there would be no guarantee of the same water resistance as the original which for me was cold comfort so I let it be.  

to answer the next part of your question, there is no way of telling without pulling the stem out and unscrewing it from the case which would be beyond anyone's measure of prudence.  The risk one takes when buying second hand and even new you would find out something like this many years after the warranty has expired.

On 6/8/2016 at 1:55 PM, automatico said:

The one from eBay was not too bad but the one from the show looked great but was badly corroded where the gasket seals to the case. I may cut a groove in the case and use an O ring type gasket in place of the original flat gasket or cut a deeper gasket seat and use a thicker flat gasket.

A light coat of (non-permanent) silicone sealant applied between the case & xtal will seal it, & should last at least 10+ years.