When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Platinum Paint Mod service for Ceramic bezel Sub and GMT

rionrlty

Platinum paint mod on Rolex ceramic bezel SubC and GMTIIC.

Hey Guys,

My main purpose here is to gage demand, to see if enough folks need this sort of service to make it worthwhile.  I am located in Southern California.  So if you have an interest either respond here or PM me and let me know.  I will check the thread daily to get the results. 

At first, when I saw the standard white paint in the inserts of these watches it seemed ok, but then I saw my first Platinum Paint mod and there was just no comparison.  So I set out to have it done my watches.  While I located a couple who could do this in Europe I had difficulty finding someone here at home in CONUS.  As a result I decided to figure out how to do it myself.  How hard could it be after all?  I began by removing the bezel from one of my watches.  I’m a car restorer so I began by testing various automotive finishes, but none of them seemed to work well.  Either, the texture was wrong, they wouldn’t adhere properly or they wouldn’t hold up during normal use.

Finally I’ve managed to find a coating that works quite well and I’m including a couple of pictures here of the final result.  It is permanent, has not faded for several months and seems impervious to soap and water or simply wiping with a soft cotton cloth.  Like the original white paint it can be scratched and will not stand up to lacquer thinner, enamel reducer, acetone or ammonia cleaners.  The watch in the photos is an inexpensive MBK rep from Stan.  I’ve heard criticism of the pearl, but I believe the engraving on the ceramic bezel is quite nice and shows off the mod to good advantage.  The finish I'm using also comes in a gold metallic color that I think would work well on the gold watches, but I haven't tried one yet.  If someone wants to be a test subject I will do it for free except for cost of shipping. 

The reason I write this is because I’m considering trying to offer this mod as a service to members.  I’ve never done this before, but I’ve been a member here for a fairly long time and believe I’ve built up a fair amount of good will amongst the other members.  I’m not going to state a price at this point as I believe I will need to get approval from the administrators.  I will only state that it will be very reasonable compared to prices others have charged.  There will be two prices, one based on receiving bezel only and a slightly higher price if it is installed on the watch.

Rionrlty.        

P5150016.JPG

P5150017.JPG

It's hard to say.  In the photo the numbers appear to be grey instead of platinum silver so I can't be sure if it would be an improvement.  You can see in my photos above that mine looks more metallic silver like the gen.  A great many of these came with white numbers and the platinum silver is a huge improvement on that. 

6 hours ago, themannier said:

This thing is gorgeous... Just ordered the same from Toro, i hope to get a true v6s !

Thanks...I was at a concert last night and received a few compliments. The green in the sunlight is amazing.

45 minutes ago, mule play said:

Thanks...I was at a concert last night and received a few compliments. The green in the sunlight is amazing.

Look forward to get mine...i will try to post a small review with some nice pics under the sunlight. ..when i receive it :drool:

• Like 1

Okay, back to the real topic here...i think your mood looks amazing and way more gen than the even the newest inserts. I also live in socal and had to send my subc to the UK to smoke to get the insert modded. I would definitely want this and am going to pm you cuz I've got a good candidate.

Sent from my SM-G928V using Tapatalk

Your mod, not your mood:) though I'm sure you're in a good one!

Sent from my SM-G928V using Tapatalk