When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Replica sunglasses?

andreww

@DTM, it's not that, it's just that they used to know how to make great lenses. Now, it seems like it's much more about the bottom line.

Vuarnet SkiLynx and Julbos were some of the earliest sports glasses and mine are still fantastic. Zero spherical or chromatic aberration. Revos and RayBans were the same.

But then I was given a pair of brand new Revos as part of the race team on the Isle of Man and they look nice in the mirror but their performance is unfortunately lacking.

I'm grateful for the new shades, but I don't wear them, and they're gen. My eyes deserve better. So that rules out reps too.

@DTM, it's not that, it's just that they used to know how to make great lenses. Now, it seems like it's much more about the bottom line.

Vuarnet SkiLynx and Julbos were some of the earliest sports glasses and mine are still fantastic. Zero spherical or chromatic aberration. Revos and RayBans were the same.

But then I was given a pair of brand new Revos as part of the race team on the Isle of Man and they look nice in the mirror but their performance is unfortunately lacking.

I'm grateful for the new shades, but I don't wear them, and they're gen. My eyes deserve better. So that rules out reps too.

I feel ya brother. I bought a new pair of Revo a couple of years ago and they're just not the same. New Ray Bans too. They moved their outsourcing from Italy to Asia a while back. My favorite RB's are the old Buache & Lomb made right here in USA.

Only newer glasses I wear are a pair of Persol. They are well made glasses with quality lenses.

I would not wear rep glasses.

I thought it was just my hang ups and quirks at first, but I also find Buache and Lomb Ray Bans better than the modern ones. I have about half a dozen pairs from the mid eighties and I'm not planning on letting them go. I also have an early pair of titanium Oakleys which are the best driving glasses I have found.

So nobody makes decent replicas of glasses? Seems really odd as they would obviously be a lot easier to copy than a watch for instance. I thought the Chinese copied everything?

Anyway, I wear Vuarnets exclusively and love them. Just thought if i could find a decent rep of the glasses below it would save me many many hundreds of dollars lol.

vuarnet_vl1407_1_black_glasses.jpg

Bell helmets used to have an ad... "If you have a $10 head, wear a $10 helmet". I think of that when I buy eye protection too. After all that's what sunglasses are for.

Well said. If my replica watch craps out or falls off my wrist, I still have the wrist. If replica eyewear or anything safety and protection related fails to deliver, it's a bit more serious. Salad cream is visually a near 1 to 1 copy of sun lotion, I wouldn't recommend it though.

If you must have rep sunglasses, then head over to RWI and start looking at the Ali Express thread in the Off Topic area. Dozens of members have purchased rep glasses and have posted reviews of the glasses and the sellers. They have tested them with UV cards and the good ones are blocking both UVA and UVB and have glass lenses. There are rep Ray Bans and Persol, Tom Ford, Oliver Peoples, and a few other brands reviewed. You have to buy the seller, though, and that is a moving target. Some sellers started off good and then quickly went rogue.

I haven't bought anything but just thought you would like to know if you are set on getting some rep glasses.

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk

• Like 1