When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

So we are the knitting circle? Yeah I'm in. All the way.

Legend

And so it happens that I was sitting down having coffee two nights back with a local friend and watch enthusiast, and who is also a member on both RWI and RWG.

The conversation turned, after some perfunctory and bland comparisons of Rolex vs Panerai, Hublot vs AP, to the atmosphere of RWG. He cast me a snide glance and mentioned that RWG was where forum members go to retire, or after they become banned or ousted from RWI. We are, according to my loquacious pal, "too peaceful", and "too quiet", compared to the relatively rambunctious crowd at RWI, the conflicts between their moderators and wayward members, and the perpetual entertainment found at its brig section, where incarcerated members are bashed to a pulpy mess, revived, and the actions repeated to the amusement of the bystanders.. Ok I digress, but only a little.

I told him, in the local lingo, that RWG is the home of extraordinary gentlemen. When I think of outstanding gentlemen that make up the community, stellar ones like @astonjenks, @panerai153, @Nanuq etc come to mind. Of course there are a lot more, but these are the ones I interact frequently with, sometimes over random salmon and moose pictures. The members here exude an unmistakable aura of poise, and many a times, money and watches are exchanged among us privately on the basis of mere unadorned words with not even a picture. And the watches and money invariably both arrive without fail, with unerring reliability. In the volatile world of superficial acquaintances and relationships, I do consider this level of trustworthiness among friends extraordinary, and superlatively valuable. Yes, you do not frequently witness exciting drama here, or the fuss and flurry of our neighbor forum, but here, we watch, listen and learn, more than shoot off our mouths like fireworks on the 4th of July. The quiet word can sometimes achieve more than the shouting and the banging on tables. We do not indulge in much vilification of members, or cast disparaging remarks on others for the slightest infractions, but we allow members to learn, and become contributors to the forums in their own rights. Yes we could be the sedentary river compared with the tumultuous torrents of exchange, and yes, we could be the placid lake with hardly any ripples. But hey, I am certain that RWG is what we like our own homes to be, metaphorically speaking. For those who crave the occasional action, it is always easy to hop out to the disco next door, where I concede to have the more exciting atmosphere. 

Knowledge, information and friendships are gained and forged in the undercurrents here, in steady and refined manners. We are not a pugnacious bunch, no, not even the outwardly tough but a softie at heart @nikki6 who is in a long term relationship with his infamous AP Marcus. Our strength lies in our dignity, and our ability to interact with one another with class and courtesy. Let us understand and embrace who we are, and the place that we have collectively crafted. 

I am also heartened to see stellar new members like @tango258 from some obscure, remote Island (which he has given up trying to sell me) join us, and of course, veteran dragons like migrating from next door, like @paristoto and @swdivad. We also have the skillful masters with the magic hands, like @SSTEEL, @misiekped, @Grimlocktime. They don't talk much, but they have saved a multitude of watches from death and breathed life and beautified several more, in their own ways. We have also the legendary collectors like @Daytona1984, @Waiwaiet. They like to let their collection speak for them. The people who matter, they are all here. You just need to know who to approach and what to ask. We are in a way like a uptown mall where the goods available are not openly on display. You just need to know where to look. There is of course the obligatory knitting lounge where pink yarns are handed out for the new guys. ;)  

So Knitting circle? Yes maybe, but its a tight circle for sure. Home is where you come to have a tequila while looking at the sunset, while nibbling on slices of roast moose. (sorry for the moose reference, some member has been spamming me with moose pictures, alternatively as food and as cuddly animals, its disconcerting). So yes, kick off the shoes, and enjoy the pastures here. Take your time to explore and immerse yourself, and you will find delight and solace in the company of extraordinary gentlemen, and the wells of knowledge here.

And welcome home. 

• Like 8

Well said good Sir. Once people have crawled out of the primeval ooze of RWI etc they tend to end up here: in the elitist club. 

I have made some good friends here, people both knowledgable and communicative, ones whom share the same passion with watches that I do. They don't however feel the need to spew endless drivel just for the sake of it. 

Yes, we're smaller but that's a good thing in my eyes. Less need to police the new members as we all look out for each other. Tolerance is key; look at the likes of Fluffy - hounded off other forums but welcomed here as a contributor.

Gentlemen, raise your glass to RWG.cc (the sun is over the yardarm somewhere in our small world!) 

• Like 3

Well said Legend! There's a lot of history here, that I'm darn proud to be part of, even in small ways.

Years ago we had a member that was pretty volatile and one night he posted (not in so many words) that he was going to commit suicide. The reaction was extraordinary, people that often rubbed each other's noses in crude jests literally got in their cars to drive to his house. It took some time but we found him and literally talked him off the edge. Bricky was the man of the hour, and I believe literally saved a life that night. The next day he was right back to his rock-em sock-em antics.

Another time someone needed a ride to see his (literally) dying mother in a hospital far away, and one of our members drove hundreds of miles to pick him up and deliver him to the hospital before she passed. And never a mention in public that he'd done it.

Other people here quietly give watches away to people that mention admiration, with never a thought of compensation.... that would take the pleasure out of the giving.

We have inactive members with more than 500 watches in their collections, and they never mention it. It's not about the watches. One of them wound up in a hospital on death's door and an intercontinental relay got a rare book put in his hands, in person, as a demonstration that he means something to us, and so he'd have reading material in the hospital.

There are dozens of stories like that in this place we call home. "Knitting Circle"? No, I prefer to see us as men who have been there and done that, and it takes an awful lot to get us knocked off balance.

Still waters run deep.

• Like 3

Knitting circle?

No...nothing less than a gentleman forum...watches are what brought us together but friendship and humanity is something we all share and what is the "main cement" between all of us I'd say :)

• Like 3

32 minutes ago, docthor said:

Knitting circle?

No...nothing less than a gentleman forum...watches are what brought us together but friendship and humanity is something we all share and what is the "main cement" between all of us I'd say :)

Exactly.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Nanuq said:

Another time someone needed a ride to see his (literally) dying mother in a hospital far away, and one of our members drove hundreds of miles to pick him up and deliver him to the hospital before she passed. And never a mention in public that he'd done it.

That made a deep and lasting impression on me. I know who was involved and those who offered to help. I joined all the rep forums looking for information. I'm also on other forums that reflect my interests. However there is a reason this is my homepage and it's not about what I can get out of it. Slowly I am getting to know members here, some I have had direct contact with. In time I hope to meet a few at get togethers. In a year or so I will retire and have time to dedicate to this hobby. 

The thing about the ethos of this little knitting circle or gentleman's club is that it inspires gentlemanly behaviour in new members. I feel an obligation to be polite and respectful and to pay back the generousity of members by paying forward. To be honest the onus of that weighs on me much more than the prospect of being sent to the Brig ever could.

• Like 2

Legend and nanug, very, very well said. I really don't think that there is any way that I could have said it as eloquently as you fine gentleman. You have summed up my feelings about this fine forum my friends.

I suppose one way that I could compare RWG to the other replica forums, using the beach analogy, RWG to me is like you and your significant other sitting on a beautiful beach, watching a spectacular sunset sipping fine wine, the others are more like the beach during spring break, lots of bodies, lots of noise and certainly no peace and quiet. Sometimes the scenery ( bikini or less clad young darlings) is pretty interesting, but the cacophony of noise gets old pretty fast, and soon forgotten.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• Like 3