When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

The state of the art - What is it?

drury

I hope I don't offend anyone with this thread. I'm sure it's all been said before but I couldn't find it all in one place and figured why not ask.

I confess that my one and only deep and true watch love is the Panerai. Not the contemporary, the (neo)vintage. Alas, the gens are so far out of reach it's hilarious. Just ordered a pre-A 004 (Rolli dial, grimlock case ... awesome) and having previously owned a Rolli dialed 036 (pretty sweet) I thought I'd start a little side project and see about building a 201a logo, the "ultimate PAM" (imo).

So, my question is: What is the state of the art? I'd love to hear the opinions but please refrain from pointing to parts that are literally unobtainable unless Mars and Jupiter line up and I stand in a pentagram (JimmyFu?).

Dial: Well, Rolli obviously. He says there will be a new batch end of the year and if it's anything like the last, that's going in.

Hands: Rolli / FGD? (Do they have the brass edge?)

Case: Absolutely no clue

CG: dito

Crown: none whatsoever. The crown needs to be fat I believe? Do I just need a lot of luck to score one?

Movement: Well, slow-beat Unitas ... Should be obtainable

CB: Jacob (How do I contact him? I need a new one for my 004 in any case.)

Crystal: I've been hearing DSN has good sapphire crystals nowadays. Are these the right shape?

That should be it I believe. I am not so much worried about cost on this one, it's supposed to be a labour of love. No need to overdo it either.

Let's hear what you've got!

d

PS: If anyone is selling any good parts / unfinished 201a projects, shoot me a PM!

Well, leaving aside exotic cases as per your request, first thing to do is get a hold if a noob case. Buy a used 111, 005, 390, the older the better generally speaking.

Lugs will have to be drilled to fit double screw bars (WSO are the best), crown tube hole will have to be drilled to accept the correct round crown tube (DSN has it, rolli might help you with this as well).

Davidsen's pre-v crown is pretty good and the only option afaik.

Crystal is better replaced by Davidsen's "french" sapphire.

Provided you don't find a "fatty" CG (I couldn't find one in the last two years), DSN is your man for a pre-v CG also.

Hands are not a problem, FGD hands will come with your rolli dial and they are your best option anyway.

Contacting Jakob is no big deal either, he has his own section cover at repgeek.

In short:

Rolli/FGD: dial, hands

Jakob: caseback

Davidsen: crown+tube, crownguard

M2M: case set

EBay (WSO): lugbars

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...